When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Melty Blood: AA; How to get started competitively?  (Read 4136 times)

Offline Chhipz

• Apprentice
  • Magic Circuits: 0
    • View Profile
Melty Blood: AA; How to get started competitively?
« on: July 07, 2010, 12:19:19 PM »
I've come from years of competitive Smash and Halo and after much careful research and consideration, have jumped back over to the fighting genre. After trying out MB: AC for the PC, watching tournament matches, reading, etc. I knew the Melty Blood series was one I'd genuinely enjoy for a long time. But there are still a lot of things I don't know that needed to be straightened out before I make the committment. I was hoping this community shed some light on a few significant topics.

1. Material/Equipment wise, should I invest in a PS2 and import MB:AA, or buy the PC version with a PS2/PC compatable controller? If I get the PS2, what mod chip do I need so I can play japanese games on it?

2. This is probably the most important question, since quality practice against other players is essential - Will I be able to play MB:AA online/ Add people to practice with? If there is online, is there support for headset/microphone chat?

3. What's the outlook on this game; will it's competitive scene remain strong in the coming years or weaken (Let's say, for the next 4 years)? Is Melty Blood's competitive/ tournament scene stronger in certain areas/states? If so, which are the strongest/ weakest?

4. Is Type-Moon/Ecole planning to release another Melty Blood game after MB:AA?

5. Anything else I should know?

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to being a part of this community.
"Life is a finale, death is the applause."

Offline fiendmaw

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 38
  • Dozo~
    • View Profile
Re: Melty Blood: AA; How to get started competitively?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 01:14:51 PM »
1 . There is no PC version of MB:AA(the one currently at EVO),however it's on ps2,but jp only,so use programs such as swap magic to make it play on non-jp ps2's.(not very knowledge-able about these things,if I said something wrong,someone can clarify.
2 . Since MBAA is on PS2 only,it has no online component whatsoever,you have to find people in your area and play it offline.
3 . The game is still fresh,and the scene is stronger than ever before,seeing the passion for past games,and this being an exponentially better game,it wont die out soon,dont worry.
4 . Not much else,practice combo and most importantly,GET HYPE.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 01:16:40 PM by fiendmaw »
Best Nanaya in YouTube.

Offline S-Blade

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 9
  • melty blade player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 01:30:22 PM »
1. Depends on your wallet. It's probably ideal to get the PS2 controller/stick of your choice, a PS2 -> USB converter, and a modded PS2 with an "acquired" copy of the game. This way you can also "acquire" MBAC on PC and play it with the same stick/controller. Ideally, you wouldn't want to touch an old version to play competitively but MBAC on PC will let you play online and learn basics with netplayers before getting competitive. It also depends where you're located....if you're in NYC you probably shouldn't even bother with MBAC on PC at all since the scene is so strong there you can get comp. easily for MBAA. A modded PS2 can be done a number of ways but again it depends on your wallet and partly your skill with electronics; you could get a modchip for ~$30 and a used PS2 for really cheap and solder the modchip on yourself if you're confident, or you could do a number of other things like a hard-drive or usb-drive loader, a custom top with swap magic, etc. You're gonna have to find somewhere else for details on how to get that done.

2. As things currently are, no. Online doesn't exist for the PS2 version. There is some possibility in the future of MBAACC (for the arcade) getting dumped and someone developing netplay for it, but even that wouldn't be coming around any time soon. That doesn't mean you can't get quality practice, but whether you can or not really depends on where you're located and how active the scene is there.

3. Yes the scene is stronger in certain areas like NYC and socal. How long the game has left to live is a completely different story, but let's just say that if French Bread doesn't come out with some kind of USA port soon, things don't look terribly good. Nothing that is currently planned or likely to happen outside of an MBAACC leak with netplay (as mentioned above) looks to be giving this franchise a burst of new/more life, with the exception of a strong showing at EVO which is going to happen in.....two days. However like fiendmaw said the scene as it its strongest right now, the only thing is that there isn't much on the horizon to keep the scene going uphill for very long.

4. Other than MBAACC (basically an arcade port of the current ps2 version), no, not yet. Someone recently found in some article/blog that now that they've finished MBAACC they're apparently free to focus more time on [some other game]?

5. This game is kind of hard. Not Guilty Gear or Super Street Fighter II Turbo style hard where you kind of need to be a robot to land all your character/spacing specific combos and when you make a mistake you lose 50-70%, but hard because the game itself is complex and there are a lot of mechanics and like 80+ "characters" and there's really a lot to absorb just to be aware of what is going on while playing, and just being aware isn't even half the battle since you've got to use all of that to make decisions on what to do next and so on and so forth. And that isn't even touching upon mindgame aspects of fighting games like conditioning.

Come onto #mbaa on irc.mizuumi.net (if you know how to use IRC) to really get to know the community.
"HERE'S A NEW TECHNIQUE - STOP BEING A RETARDED FAGGOT" -SprtJuice on smash scene

<kijea> im like really sad life faggot

Offline Chhipz

• Apprentice
  • Magic Circuits: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 02:46:08 PM »
That was the one crucial problem I had with SSBM. I had no one around me who played the game competitively (Rochester, NY which is 5-6 hours from NYC), and since it wasn't online, the only real practice I got were the tournaments I traveled to. It's unfortunate there's nothing similar to MBCaster for MBAA. Would the practice from MBAC on MBCaster translate over to MBAA? I know they're both similar games, but MBAA has far more depth from a few new gameplay mechanics and far more characters/movesets due to the various moon phases as you mentioned.

There's definately a lot to think about here, especially if I'll even be able to find that "specific" form of PS2. I do appreciate all the responses though. Thanks again.
"Life is a finale, death is the applause."

Offline Celestein

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 04:30:41 PM »
Chhipz, we have a melty scene in the Buffalo NY area, me and several others play it. We meet up at my place in Lewiston, which is about 40min from rochester.

Typically on saturdays from 3pm to Midnight and beyond.

It's still not close, but 40 minutes isn't bad for a weekend day if you really want to play some people, a lot closer than NYC, though the comp is not nearly at the same level.

PM me if you're interested in hanging out sometime and playing.

I am also an experienced modder and can mod your PS2 to play it(not that it's anything hard).