hentai
When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Melty Blood: Actress Again PS2 version in August Confirmed (now with Ryougi!)  (Read 346752 times)

Offline Masu

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Melty Blood: Actress Again PS2 version in August?
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2009, 11:01:55 PM »
Yay ps2 mbaa.

Boo netplay drama.

My thoughts exactly Sp00ky.

So will the PS2 version be Ver.A?

Offline MK dagawd

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2009, 11:09:50 PM »
  Im kinda drunk atm.  Im no longer coherant enough to debate. (alocholic life ftw.)

Offline f-wlen ice loop

• the troll that slays gods
  • Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 91
  • i did it
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2009, 11:12:05 PM »
OFC there are going to be more skilled players who are used to this type of game, but no matter how much exp they have they WILL start as a scrub initially (even if it takes them 10 minutes to become a "Good" player the point here is a group of scrubs have a better chance of producing good players as opposed to only 2-3 scrubs.) Okay so lets apply your logic, good players arise because they want to get better right?  Well you have a better chance of finding those people in a group of 25 scrubs who netplay as opposed to 5 scrubs who have to play the game on PS2 without much experience playing with other people.

Of course you have a better chance with more people, but you are overlooking something.

You have a better chance of finding good people in a group of 25 netplay scrubs as opposed to 5 PS2 scrubs. However, you have a better chance of having stronger players in a local community of a few mid to mid-high level players as opposed to a bunch of netplayers who don't have any understanding of fundamentals or gameflow. Sure, you can fish out the 1-2 good players out from the 25 netplay scrubs, but your scene would be stronger if you had a few good players all sessioning each other. You don't need quantity to have strong players. Ask anyone with a local scene whether they think netplaying a bunch of random people is better for learning and building strong players than sessioning with their group.

EVERYONE, and I mean EVERYONE started as a scrub somewhere, it doesn't matter if it was MBAC or GG or SWR the point is they wanted to become better so they took the game serious and theres a greater chance to find people like this in higher numbers as opposed to just assuming experienced players are just going to migrate to a certain game.

You are completely hung up on quantity. Quantity is not the only way to build a strong scene, and is in fact not the right way at all. Quantity is a side effect of a strong scene, not the beginning of one.

I understand what you're saying. You are saying "I think many people should play MBAA so eventually we get a bunch of top players while there's still a lot of skill levels in the scene". That is not going to happen with MBAA. The game does not have mass appeal. You are not going to succeed in making the community strong that way. For this game to succeed it will need to have a base of talented players who are charismatic enough to entice other players to give it a shot, not a bunch of random scrubs who can't show them how the game works at higher levels. Who remembers NEC hype and how the game skyrocketed in popularity as a result? Netplay isn't going to accomplish anything like that, nor will a bunch of scrubs.

In my opinoin AA is better than BB, I enjoy the pacing of AA as opposed to the floaty feel of BB, but everyone has thier tastes.  Sometimes whether a game is good or not doesn't determine whether someone will play it because of the specific taste of that person.  Netplay would help bring in more players (There might even be a few experienced players out there who just decide to try AA on a whim because it has netplay and if they happen to like the game well, we just have another experienced player in the scene.) I agree it isnt necessary but it would sure help.

Yes, it would help, I agreed with you on this already. But from how things are looking, it isn't going to happen, so if you want the game to take off, you'll just have to deal with that fact. If MBAA PC comes out, great! You can look into making netplay happen. But complaining this much over a port without netplay is pointless. Work with what you've been given, which at this point is looking to be much more than what the unfortunate Arcana community was handed.

Im kinda drunk atm.  Im no longer coherant enough to debate. (alocholic life ftw.)

I win.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 11:13:59 PM by bellreisa »
<fubarduck> hey bell good shit beating kusoru in melty
<fubarduck> he was like "i lost to a long haired asian"
<fubarduck> aaaaaaaaa

Offline Iduno

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: -3
  • Trying to main C W.Len
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2009, 11:59:06 PM »
^Well surely the people who actualy in the situation to go to tournaments and stuff and care enough to do so are going to do so whether there is netplay or not so really the only effect should be bringing in more potential tourney goers and even if it doesn't hell more people enjoying the game has to be a good thing anyway and it's not like they would have become tourney goers if it didn't exist.

If you're suggesting that tourney players wouldn't exist without netplay, that is a completely wrong assumption (see: EC and WC PS2 MBAC scenes). Your post was somewhat incomprehensible so I could be talking about something else entirely.

And as far as "the only effect", that's pretty much incorrect. Netplay has many effects on a scene, which I described in my post and you probably glossed over. SF4 would be disastrous as a primarily-netplay game; look at how terrible the online communities are for that game. It's strong because many people play it offline and form the community as a result. Forming a community from netplay is not only difficult but has to be tightly maintained and continually driven or else it will be weak (see: 4chan and Mizuumi's SWR scene) and/or fail to grow (see: every other doujin game netplay scene that I've hosted besides IaMP and SWR). The main reason the IaMP netplay scene is decent is because I and many others had to help maintain it and keep interest alive while pushing people (including ourselves) to improve, while knowing that ultimately there was little motivation to do so. I know that the game's scene would be a lot stronger if people played it more offline, as online there's no pressure as it's just casuals.

Netplay really isn't the means to building a game's scene. It's good as a tool to help existing scenes get their fix when offline play isn't possible, but as a foundation it lacks strength.

Please try not to misunderstand my post

I am saying that netplay probably wouldn't negatively effect the amount of tourney players because any players playing in by netplay alone would probably not go to tourneys anyway or have even picked up the game without it.

So basically tourney players stay the same and it opens the game up to people who don't have a local scene or just want to play without bothering a bout tourneys and stuff like that.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 12:15:25 AM by Iduno »
My Blazblue match videos http://www.youtube.com/profile?edit=1#play/all

SvB entrys are now open for online registration!

Offline Splork

• Apprentice
  • Magic Circuits: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2009, 12:27:28 AM »
  Right, because we all begin good and not at lesser skill levels.  :psyduck:  Let me dumb it down so you don't misunderstand again.
Having more scrubs means eventually more good players will arise. (We all begin as scrubs when we first play a game we don't know, it doesn't mean just because your a scrub you doomed to be a scrub forever.
Having more good players means more people taking the game seriously and finding their own styles/strategies.
Simple enough?
You know, a certain level of skill transfers between fighting games. Like, basic fundamentals and adaptability. I'm not sure how many particularly good players you know personally, but the ones that I know are able to pick up a new game very quickly. They are generally pretty strong in a new game right from the start because their basics are strong and they learn fast. Likewise, there are players that don't get much better over time, and suck at all the fighting games they play. I know plenty of those types too, we call them scrubs.

It's true that not everyone is awesome on day one, and we learn over time.. but no you don't want "more scrubs" because by definition a scrub isn't likely to improve. However, you do want "more players and hopefully some of them are good". But more than that, you want people to actually like the game and want to get better at it.

Just getting a bunch of people together doesn't necessarily mean people will keep playing either, look how many games use to be at Evo and SBO and are now dead and gone. They had a community and they failed to keep it. And if all these players being brought in by netplay are actually scrubs then a lot of them will probably drop off pretty quickly in favor of another game.

Anyway, it's incorrect to think that netplay will automatically bring in an influx of people. There's actually several PC fighting games with netplay that have zero community. There's also a ton of old games that have netplay support through emulators and have zero community either. Netplay doesn't automatically make people want to play a game.

With a PS2 release there's at least a small chance at a tournament scene. With a PC release all you'll ever get out of it is online casuals and the occasional side event. The latter would only be technically a good thing if the game was going to die anyway, because then at least some scattered fans can have fun flogging a dead horse. But without a console port it isn't likely to be taken seriously on a large scale because the majority of gamers have equipment for and play on console, not PC.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 12:29:25 AM by Splork »

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Magic Circuits: 120
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2009, 01:09:23 AM »
This is a very good question.  I would like to know as well.

And as far as all this netplay argument is going, I can't help but side completely with Bell.  He has assloads more experience with starting and maintaining a scene than most anyone here (with a few exceptions such as Spooky and Arly), and is pretty worldly with fighters in general.  The fact is that MBAC only recently had a strong netplay, and it was doing just fine before that.  The addition of netplay may have added accessibility to more people, but it hasn't necessarily made the community stronger.  The community still feels the same as it did when this site was first started.

Bottom line is that any port is better than no port.  Be happy you fucks.
<LoliSauce>   Yeah, so I live right in between an elementary school and a middle school about a block on each side of me
<Zar>      God loves you, Lolisauce
---
<Mauve>      [The Touhou fandom] are like the moe character equivalent of furries.

Offline Chie Satonaka

• I wish I wasn´t a white person
  • Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 25
  • STEAK! STEAK! STEAK! STEAK! STEAK! STEAK! STEAK!
    • View Profile
    • My twitter!
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2009, 05:36:48 AM »
This is a very good question.  I would like to know as well.

Bottom line is that any port is better than no port.  Be happy you fucks.

If ECOLE doesn't do what EXAMU did to That Game and make it 2.5 and a 1/2 lag edition then yes it will be Ver.A. Also I agree with the last sentence. Just be fucking happy we got a port. Who cares if it's PS2 or PC? You'd still play it regardless because you like MB that much. As long as they don't pull an EXAMU (Which I highly doubt they will) it shouldn't be a problem. Netplay is fine and all, hell I used to be a online warrior, but when it's gotten to the point where netplay is the LIFE of a community (See: DOA4) then you know your community has gone downhill. At least with it being on the PS2 it will force people to travel that tournament (If they claim to to be part of this community) and contribute something.

The only downfall with it being on PS2 is that we can't witness Harman Smith's awesome mixup: 2A>2B>2C>5A.
Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak!

Hei

« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2009, 05:59:11 AM »
well for me it doesn't matter so long as i can play it without going to an arcade, hope the info's real

Offline Zaelar

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 70
  • 236c
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2009, 06:25:51 AM »
Dippy, when you lock a topic you aren't supposed to create a link to a new topic to continue the discussion that warranted the lock in the first place.

Offline Masu

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2009, 07:30:31 AM »
well for me it doesn't matter so long as i can play it without going to an arcade, hope the info's real

Lol yah. Im going with a group to CF to play in 2 weeks. It will probably be the last time for the arcade version for me.

Offline MK dagawd

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2009, 09:49:44 AM »
  Im not complaining about the actual port to PS2 but I don't see why they wouldn't release it for PC since the PC release helped make that game successful.

Offline F9|Chibi

• Strongest Idiot
  • Magic Circuits: 136
  • portrait of eternal joy
    • View Profile
    • Pishi~
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2009, 11:03:12 AM »
  Im not complaining about the actual port to PS2 but I don't see why they wouldn't release it for PC since the PC release helped make that game successful.

If we're talking about the US scene in particular the inclusion of the PS2 port of MBAC did alot more then the PC version did. Much, much more.

I was trying to promote Melty Blood back when it was just RE-Act a good five years ago. Zaelar and myself would bring a laptop to the local bi-monthly GGXX / #R tournaments that were being held. I was handing out burnt copies of the game to every major / tournament I could get to. That lasted for a year before I met Sp00ky. Then Sp00ky met Zarticus, and word spread just a bit in NYC. Even then, we were limited to barely having eight man tournaments that required us to lug around Sp00ky's entire tower to and from the venue. Hell, the tournaments would usually end up being run AT Sp00ky's apartment because we couldn't get space / accommodation at other tournaments. Matters were like this until word of a PS2 port was announced (the game was in Japanese arcades at this point).

When that port dropped all that shit changed. Sp00ky's gatherings doubled somehow, and the first major to hold the game (NEC 7) had 17 entrants. That doesn't seem like much now, but at the time for NEC it had more entrants then any of the 'side tournaments' being run. That set of grand finals was so absurdly hype most of the ballroom was wondering what the fuck was going on.

Things kept going on this way. Tournaments being held on a somewhat monthly basis also let us run MB, and we'd consistently get 18-25 people to enter, many who had not gone anywhere near the PC version. Things were going great until they announced they'd port the game again, this time on the PC.

Bam, everyone that was playing the game up to that point just fucking vanished.

You know what?

Who fucking cares?

It pisses me off that 98% of #MBAC and whatever other netplay rooms I don't know of probably won't ever consider going to a tournament. I'll have to continue being grateful to that 2% who actually want to socialize with the rest of the scene in a way that doesn't involve oggling their caster strats like it really means something.
~*Hai! Back to Japan!

pishi.wordpress.com - Updated once a week~

Offline HRGS|忍

• Niggaboo
  • Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 46
  • All of the Lights in the Sky Are Stars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2009, 11:10:56 AM »
I think Final Round last year was run by me and Choco and we had about 30-35 people on MB tournament. I honestly hope this number can double sometime in the near future after AA port is out.
Black people vs. underage looking bitches at Evo - 9-1.
Me: "Show me ya papers!"
Jaxx: "Bitch, you illegal as fuck."
...and never forget. OTG STDs.  Check Akiha's Tea Room for updates on the Donjon Network 2nd Phase live action radio show!

Offline dakanya

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2009, 11:22:25 AM »
Successful? Did the PC port make more money? I doubt it. A PC port probably wasn't anymore successful than a PS2 port to ECOLE. What does it matter to them, their audience is the Japanese and they mostly play on the arcade anyways. Most people pirated MBAC anyways and most who did own a legit copy were very likely to own a copy of the PS2 game too.
thundering waterfalls

Offline LordPangTong

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 54
  • We troll hard
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2009, 11:53:44 AM »
Yay, what splendid news!!  ;D

I am personally excited that its a PS2 release, because that is how I started playing MBAC! (Like most people, I'd assume...) I wonder if it will be Ver. B  :mystery:
<justzar> great anime <3

Offline Chie Satonaka

• Magus Candidate
    • View Profile
    • My twitter!
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2009, 11:57:35 AM »
I think Final Round last year was run by me and Choco and we had about 30-35 people on MB tournament. I honestly hope this number can double sometime in the near future after AA port is out.

NEC10 my nigga....NEC10. :(

Sucks that I won't even fucking be there. Oh well I guess I'll have to meet up with EUMB... :emo:
Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak!

Offline ಠ_ಠ Dizzynecro

• Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 40
  • Doriflectos
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2009, 11:58:44 AM »
I don't care that much about netplay, but I would much prefer a PC or PS3/360 pot because they can be updated. This port is going to be outdated faster than you can say "Dance Romanesque and unfinished Romancia" It's still a hell of a lot better than nothing and I will take what I can get. Good news.

By the way, Are Melty Blood and Melty Bread different games?

Offline Iduno

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: -3
  • Trying to main C W.Len
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2009, 01:27:20 PM »
I don't care that much about netplay, but I would much prefer a PC or PS3/360 pot because they can be updated. This port is going to be outdated faster than you can say "Dance Romanesque and unfinished Romancia" It's still a hell of a lot better than nothing and I will take what I can get. Good news.

Yeah thats a good point, and the lack of region locking on the PS3 would be pretty handy as well.

I'm wondering if they could get it up and running on a psp though, since it can handle other 2D fighters like guilty gear and darkstalkers... (portable Melty Blood would kick so much ass)
My Blazblue match videos http://www.youtube.com/profile?edit=1#play/all

SvB entrys are now open for online registration!

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Magic Circuits: 120
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2009, 03:10:10 PM »
I don't plan on buying a ps3, and the chances of me getting one ever are slim.  Getting an NTSC-J XBOX360 is even more minute of a chance.  I've actually imported both the ps2 and pc MBAC, and I definitely wouldn't mind shelling out the cash to do so again for MBAA, but buying a 300-400 dollar system on top of the importing costs is just not happening.  Current gen isn't as easily accessible as ps2.  I live nowhere near any MBAA cabs and there's prolly only one local beside myself who's serious enough about the game to import it, so accessibility is very important to me.

And lol, fighters on handhelds just don't appeal to me at all.  I already get hand cramps just holding one for an extended period of time.  My hands are too big for that shit.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 03:12:36 PM by 本物惨殺 ZANSATSU »
<LoliSauce>   Yeah, so I live right in between an elementary school and a middle school about a block on each side of me
<Zar>      God loves you, Lolisauce
---
<Mauve>      [The Touhou fandom] are like the moe character equivalent of furries.

Offline f-wlen ice loop

• Magus Candidate
  • i did it
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2009, 03:18:30 PM »
Porting a fighter to a handheld is a surefire way of getting it ignored.
<fubarduck> aaaaaaaaa

Offline Masu

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2009, 04:10:29 PM »

You know what?

Who fucking cares?

It pisses me off that 98% of #MBAC and whatever other netplay rooms I don't know of probably won't ever consider going to a tournament. I'll have to continue being grateful to that 2% who actually want to socialize with the rest of the scene in a way that doesn't involve oggling their caster strats like it really means something.

I would LOVE to go to tourneys but I just dont think im good enough to compete in a tourney yet :(

I just thought of something, with this coming to the PS2, this means we can finally get the MBAA music by ripping it from the PS2 game! :fap:

Offline ShinMasaki

• Loremaster
  • Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 81
  • 真先生 demands attention
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2009, 04:34:10 PM »

You know what?

Who fucking cares?

I would LOVE to go to tourneys but I just dont think im good enough to compete in a tourney yet :(

I just thought of something, with this coming to the PS2, this means we can finally get the MBAA music by ripping it from the PS2 game! :fap:

I'm there for tournaments...the downside is that somehow all the tournaments end up over holidays or blackout days for me at work where it is next to impossible for me to get time off.

New question...with the release of MBAA, will that obsolete MBAC from the tournament scene or will my scrubby Kouma still be able to play some MBAC?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 04:36:21 PM by ShinMasaki »
Common Sense?! In My Touhous?! WHAT IS THE MEANING OF THIS!!!

Offline Masu

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2009, 04:36:42 PM »

You know what?

Who fucking cares?

I'm there for tournaments...the downside is that somehow all the tournaments end up over holidays or blackout days for me at work where it is next to impossible for me to get time off.

I noticed. One time I was unkowingly at CF when a MBAA tourney was gonna happen, and ended up getting raped by Lord Knight and Jiyuna D: Twas painful. And this was like.......3 days before christmas or so.

Offline f-wlen ice loop

• Magus Candidate
  • i did it
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2009, 04:43:55 PM »
Tourneys aren't all about just the tournament. Provided everything runs smoothly there's a fuckton of time to hang out, play casuals, drink or blaze or whatever.
<fubarduck> aaaaaaaaa

Offline Chie Satonaka

• Magus Candidate
    • View Profile
    • My twitter!
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2009, 04:46:58 PM »

You know what?

Who fucking cares?

New question...with the release of MBAA, will that obsolete MBAC from the tournament scene or will my scrubby Kouma still be able to play some MBAC?

As far as the tournament scene goes MBAC will be long forgotten. As far as the online scene goes...who knows? MB:R Was played well after the release of the PS2 version.... :-\

Tourneys aren't all about just the tournament. Provided everything runs smoothly there's a fuckton of time to hang out, play casuals, drink or blaze or whatever.

Yeah who knows. We might even run a OG Melty Blood tournament if we're all drunk enough.