When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Oh lawd! What should I be usin?! The thread about what to use.  (Read 3978 times)

Offline mizuki

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 125
  • nasty
    • View Profile
Oh lawd! What should I be usin?! The thread about what to use.
« on: September 02, 2007, 11:49:36 AM »
Okay, this thread is mainly for what instrument of gaming you should use for Melty Blood Act-Cadenza, and can also be used for other fighting games.

THE PAD

Okay, probably the least favored way of playing Melty Blood Act-Cadenza, or fighting games (Unless you play smash, but smash ain't a fighting game) Many people use this if they can't afford a stick, and or are just more comfortable using it.

THE STICK
Now this is going to be a longgggggg post, so I'll just copy-paste something I posted on SRK about this topic.

Okay, I don't have school today, and I am sick and tired of seeing these type of threads EVERY OTHER DAY!

Basically there are two "sub categories" of sticks. American and Japanese.

American parts are almost always Happ, or some knock-off brand. Happ is the shit you see in American arcades.

They're bat-top stick that is very stiff, usually have a hard spring in them. Buttons are either concave or very flat buttons that seem like you have to press down all the way to respond. I mostly see the flat buttons around.

Many people who make custom sticks like using American parts for Marvel vs Capcom 2.

Sticks you can buy with parts that are American that are worth getting are that follows:
Street Fighter 15th Anniversary Arcade stick by Nubitech (most people mod out the buttons)
MAS System sticks, people generally use these for MvC2
---

Then there are the Japanese parts. Mostly made by either Sanwa, or Seimitsu.

They are the shit you find in Japanese arcades (see the pattern?).

The stick is usually ball top (but bat tops for these stick do exist), You usually do not have to use too much force using this stick, as they are looser than Happ-type sticks. Buttons are nice and rounded, very, VERY sensitive, and you do not have to press them all the way.

Many people use these parts in custom sticks for MOST games, as they are nice and responsive.

Stock sticks that are worth getting with Japanese parts are that follows:
Hori Real Arcade Pro's (Most of these have Sanwa parts mixed with Hori stock parts)
Tekken 5 10th Anniversary Arcade Stick (US, I think these are Hori stock buttons iirc)
Capcom Fighting Jam arcade stick (I think it's an HRAP iirc)
---

Q: How do I know which one I would like?
A: Easy, Do you like the feel of parts in your local arcade? (if your in North America), if they're too stiff for you, you might like Sanwa/Seimitsu.

Q: How about if I like American stick, but Japanese buttons (or vice-versa)
A: You'd have to go to custom-stick land for that, I do not know of ANY stock sticks that do this (correct me if I'm wrong). Byrdo, and many custom stick makers here on SRK can probally make one for you, but Byrdo is more of a store where he makes it, then you can buy it, I don't know if he still makes requests.

Q: I bought a stock stick from the store, can I swap out parts for same country parts (Bought HRAP, want Sanwa parts)
A: Yes, you might have to do a little modding, there are FAQ's littered all over the place in this forum. Look.

Q: I bought a Tekken 5 stick, and I want to modd it with Happ parts, is that possible?
A: Honestly, I don't know. I've never met/seen anyone who wanted to do this. I think it's possible, you just have to gut everything out and mod it to hell and back.
*edit!*
You can! Poon and markR has done this before.
Basically it's alot of work, but if you put effort in and you like happ you should be satisfied.
---

Sticks you WANT to avoid:
Pelican, Mad Catz, any crappy American 3rd party maker shit.
XArcade, I heard that it lags like on every converter known to man, and it just sucks period.
Asian bootleg arcade sticks. Seriously. There are TONS of Hori bootlegs out there, they're mostly crap iirc, but I guess you can use it for a nice sturdy case.

If there are anyone else who wants to add anything constructive, be my guest. Oh and any mod, can you please sticky this?

Now I'd also like to add this:
Will you be playing it on other consoles? Am I spending alot of time playing it on PS2?

The answer is this.

CONVERTER

Pick up a Pelican PS2->PS3 or a Radioshack converter, they work wonders!

Also XBox360 and PS3 sticks are plug + play (If you've updated your system) for MBAC and there is NO input lag! Isn't that wonderful?

and last but not least is...

THE KEYBOARD

All I have to say is
KEYBOARD CRUSHER DESU-KA?
what the fuck is this game

Offline mizuki

• Magus
  • nasty
    • View Profile
Re: Oh lawd! What should I be usin?! The thread about what to use.
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 01:04:55 PM »
Unlocked topic for questions.

Offline AlmightyNam

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 7
  • Holy F*ckin shit, my eyeballs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 07:04:46 PM »
There is a lot of ill will toward the Hori Fighting Stick 2, which is like half as expensive as a HRAP, and I see no problems in mine. Whats so bad about it?

Offline mir

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 07:28:13 PM »
There is a lot of ill will toward the Hori Fighting Stick 2, which is like half as expensive as a HRAP, and I see no problems in mine. Whats so bad about it?

I thought that too, then I got to play on a HRAP for like 3 minutes and it convinced me I need one. The HFS2 has big neutral position forcing the need for movement exaggeration, which sucks. Furthermore, I have some issues with the size of the thing, as it is not big enough. My left hand kinda rests on the edge, and that gets irritating after a while

If you open the stick itself, you'll notice two things:
1) The case is not deep enough to fit a Sanwa stick and you'll have to grate on the base, which at least I think is not a good idea. Also, spacing is REALLY TIGHT and it is uncomfortable to do wiring in it.

2) the buttons are not using quick disconnects but rather a membrane-like thing, much like the regular pads. That's not necessarily bad, but it suffers from the same input not registering problems that regular pads often develop. Now it's not all that hard to change 'em, but it requires more work than if they were using regular quick disconnect snap-ins.
-----------

That being said, there's nothing wrong with the stick. If you're ok with the joystick and the buttons, I say more power to ya. The thing is surprisingly sturdy (mine has taken a lot of abuse), and is a great budget solution. But if you are not completely satisfied, then it's a pain in the ass to mod, and that is the real reason people hate on it.
There's nothing to fear now.

Offline AlmightyNam

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 7
  • Holy F*ckin shit, my eyeballs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 07:50:11 PM »
Mine was even more budget because I got it from a store in Akiba when I went to japan. It was like, half price becasue no ridiculous shipping. I would've gotten a HRAP if it was there, but it wasn't so I didn't get it.

You may be wondering how a trip to japan is cheaper than buying off of playasia, and the answer is, I didn't have to pay for the trip to japan.

Offline pc1x1

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 0
  • Mess with the Best, Die like the Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 10:17:25 AM »
I just build my own, I mostly use pad, when I am playing casuals because my stick is normally being worked on or don't bother to carry it around, or I am working on a stick, but for real playing I use an all Sanwa custom stick.

Also Mizuki, hows STICKY doing? I used to use that stick before he sent it to you : /. I have my own stickies now, they multiplied X_X.

Offline mizuki

• Magus
  • nasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2007, 07:18:51 PM »
I just build my own, I mostly use pad, when I am playing casuals because my stick is normally being worked on or don't bother to carry it around, or I am working on a stick, but for real playing I use an all Sanwa custom stick.

Also Mizuki, hows STICKY doing? I used to use that stick before he sent it to you : /. I have my own stickies now, they multiplied X_X.

It's great for MBAC :3

Offline LordRabies

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 06:27:37 AM »

Finish your effing stick and keep your mitts off of my Blue Mary boobs!

On Topic: Square gate vs Octagonal restrictor plate. I honestly like the square gate but there are times where it makes me taste the bitter failure of misinput, most noticeably with Sacchin's 623C, I end up doing the bit instead because I'm so damn accustomed to using the Z motion and I suppose I do f, hcf+C or something  :slowpoke: Would an octagonal restrictor plate help out with this?

Offline pc1x1

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 0
  • Mess with the Best, Die like the Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2007, 08:09:53 AM »
Yea, if you want to my octagonal gate you could just asked  :psyduck:.

But ye finishing those stickies, and plz Blue Mary is mine, I actually used her vs you 8P.