ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Lag?  (Read 4499 times)

Offline Derevex

• Apprentice
  • Magic Circuits: 0
    • View Profile
Lag?
« on: December 23, 2007, 02:46:18 PM »
I've recently just tried MBCaster to play online against other people, when I've been so used to playing the computer AIs. I connected with two people, and they were very helpful and nice about me being new to it, and walked me through on how to connect, but when I did connect, the lag was absolutely terrible. When I'm playing alone, it runs flawlessly at 60-70 FPS, but online, it dropped to single digits. I don't think it's my connection, because I can run World of Warcraft and that barely lags, the "height" of my lag on that being 200ms.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

( By the way, I hosted the first game, and my opponent hosted the second. )
"If you aren't remembered, then you never existed."

Offline Dieucra_Der

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
Re: Lag?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 06:19:58 PM »
Lag happens when the other person (or you) have torrents or is downlaoding something.
it's kinda rare that is sharing connection to a laptop.
You can play a lot of people without a terrible lag if it doesn't have that kind of things. >_<
She's a maneater, make you work hard make you spend hard, make you want all of her love, she's a maneater make you buy cars make you cut cards, wish you never ever met at her all

Offline Kayin

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 10
  • A POTENTIAL CAT FUCKING
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 08:42:51 PM »
Try to close programs that are using alot of resources, namely stuff that uses your net.

And it's already been said, but one can't stress this enough: For the sake of your sanity and any enjoyment of this game online, do NOT play online while downloading, You WILL lag HARD CORE.

Also, try to make sure the distance between you and your opponent isn't too great, playing people in the same cost as you is usually preferred. Cross-country connections can be decent given the right variables and a little luck, but are sometimes far from ideal. Playing someone on the other side of the world however will usually result in serious lag.

Another thing to note is your reccomended delay frame. Delay 1-3 are pretty good and won't really effect your offline timings with some practice while Delay 4 and up could mess with you. (This last bit is mostly opinion with a dash of fact, how you deal with lag is mostly personal.)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 08:52:02 PM by Kayin »
<3

Offline Derevex

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 09:39:04 PM »
Another thing to note is your reccomended delay frame. Delay 1-3 are pretty good and won't really effect your offline timings with some practice while Delay 4 and up could mess with you. (This last bit is mostly opinion with a dash of fact, how you deal with lag is mostly personal.)

Could you explain this a little more for me? When I was playing, the only programs I had up were AIM and MSN, and I wasn't downloading anything.

Offline Draku

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 8
  • sakura is a good girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 11:26:37 PM »
By any chance, are you or the other person on different sides of the world, and/or using a terrible/wireless connection?

Offline Derevex

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2007, 12:11:14 AM »
By any chance, are you or the other person on different sides of the world, and/or using a terrible/wireless connection?

Hrm... let's see, if I recall, one was from Australia... not sure whhere the other one was from. I'm using a wired connection. Testing my speed out at SpeakEasy.com, I get around 12,000 KB/sec downloading, and 2,000 KB/sec uploading, but my connection is through a router.

Offline Kayin

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 10
  • A POTENTIAL CAT FUCKING
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2007, 12:14:38 AM »
one was from Australia

I think we may have our answer. :3
<3

Offline Derevex

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2007, 12:16:46 AM »

You think so? I figured I'd ask someone who had any idea about this kind of thing before going to assumptions. I'll try connecting to someone closer, and see how that goes.

Thank you!

Offline Draku

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 8
  • sakura is a good girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2007, 02:43:28 AM »

You think so? I figured I'd ask someone who had any idea about this kind of thing before going to assumptions. I'll try connecting to someone closer, and see how that goes.

Thank you!
Yeah, see, if someone isn't in your country or pretty close to your country you're not gonna have a very good connection with them at all.

Offline LostSoul120

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 2
  • Sha-Bam!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 07:52:55 PM »

Thank you!
Yeah, see, if someone isn't in your country or pretty close to your country you're not gonna have a very good connection with them at all.

It could also be a case of poorly routed packets. I had huge lag spikes until I tweaked some of the setitings on my router and computer.
Holy shit, it's a flying baby!