When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: The Official Unofficial Netplay Ranking (Closed.)  (Read 19806 times)

Offline Xie

• Melty Pancake
  • Magic Circuits: 10
  • Mechanized
    • View Profile
The Official Unofficial Netplay Ranking (Closed.)
« on: January 01, 2008, 02:29:27 AM »
No one really plays this shit anymore. According to the rankings, Tenkai is obviously the undisputed god of MBAC. Tenkai I'll give you 5 bux, great job.

Edit: The original post was truncated and shortened for your viewing pleasure. If enough people want to read the original post, I will put it back put. It is still bloody long though.
Edit Again: A lot of people are under the impression that it's too late to sign up for some reason, but you can still sign up if you want to join.

What is it?:
A netplay ranking tournament with free opponent choice and prizes. Also with NO ENTRY FEE.

When is it:
Preregistration begins on Sunday 01/06/08, 9:00PM PST. Matches may take place any time after Tuesday 01/08/08 at 12:00AM PST. The beta season will run until the beginning of West Toast X (02/16/08). However, if I or the mass majority are unsatisfied with the end date (mostly because exams are around that time) I will length the season.

Prize structure:
1-16 active players: $25 to first place.
16-32 active players: $50 to first place
33 or more active players: $100 divided amongst how top8 chooses to play out. That is, I will allow the top8 to vote what the final spilt is whether it is winner take all or something like 70/20/10.

How do I enter and participate?:

1) Have melty blood and get netplay working
   A) Lan matches are only acceptable when I AM PHYSICALLY PRESENT
      1) If you wish to have a Lan Match and you are close to me, you may PM or email me with this request.

2) Send a registration email to MB.ranking@gmail.com please follow the template below, you may register at any time in the season.
   A) the subject for the email must be "MeltyBlood Registration"
   B) it must contain the following information
      1) Your Alias (what you wish to be called in videos, on the ranking, etc)
      2) A contact method (AIM, Yahoo, GMAIL, anything)
      3) A password of some sort (This is so I can make sure that YOU are the one sending me the match data that you are sending me and not an fake)
   C) you will receive an Email response from me with your ID#. Please remember your ID# (or record it somewhere) as it is very important
   D) Alternatively, you may register via IRC or instant messaging if you catch me on either medium, however, make sure I am actaully there and not idle before you try and register with me live.

3) Play in ranked matches
   A) All matches must be netplay unless mandated specifically by me
   B) Find an opponent who is also registered (or has submitted a a registration and is awaiting confirmation)
   C) Play against your opponent in a valid ranked match
      1) a "2 out of 3 games" Match is considered a Standard Match (Valued at "5")
      2) a "4 out of 7 games" Match is considered an Extended Match (Valued at "10")
      3) a Featured Match is a match that has been scheduled beforehand by me and carries specifically high stakes. These will probably be made into videos (Valued at "20")
   D) Save the Replay. Mandating who saves the replay beforehand OR using a client that supports an autosave function
        E) You may change character between games.

3) Report your match results to MB.ranking@gmail.com
   A) BOTH PLAYERS MUST REPORT THE MATCH RESULTS TO ME AND SUBMIT THE REPLAY. THESE RESULTS MUST BE IDENTICAL
   B) A proper match report has the Subject Header "MeltyBlood Ranking Match <Your ID#> <0X-XX-2008> (Date of submittal)"
   C) A proper match report also has
      1) Your password
      2) A concise, yet detailed summarized account of who played who and who won. WinnerName[WinnerID#] (Winner's Character [Winner's Palate]) won against LoserName[LoserID#] (Loser's Character [Loser's Palate]) in a (MatchType).
      3) The replay attached
      4) ANYTHING out of the ordinary which occurred and how they were solved
   D) Match results should be submitted within 48 hours of their completion. This is mainly so I don't have to deal with 201,938,203 match reports right before the season ends.

4) Repeat and stay active
   A) Ratings and Rankings will be calculated and updated every few days
   B) If you do not participate within at least one match a week, you will be considered "inactive"
   C) Inactive players only yield and gain 1/2 of their normal points, also, inactive players will NOT count towards the prize pool.
   D) This is mostly to keep people playing regularly, if you were normally very active but had to take a week or so off, I can overlook that.
        E) Your account can have its "active" status restored if you consult with me.

5) Keep track of your rating. Aim for the top!
   A) At the end of the season, the top8 will play off

Other Information.

X) Follow the rules, breaking one of these rules is a banable offense. Not only that but I will probably find and kill you if you break one of these. Just sayin'.
   A) General rules
      1) Don't cheat.
      2) Seriously, just don't. I know prize money and glory are tempting, but if you cheat then it's all meaningless. So, seriously, I'm begging you here, I'm trying my hardest already, don't make things complicated for me.
      3) You may only have one account at any time. This should be a no brainier, this will skew the results greatly if a person has more than one account and WILL be considered an act of cheating

B) Match rules
      1) You are not committed to playing a match unless you make an earnest attempt to finish the first round.
         a) After that point, you are committed to finishing this match irregardless of what occurs
         b) Make sure you don't lag before you start the match, you are not obligated to play immediately, so always make sure you can actually play the match before you do.
      2) If something happens to the match and two are unable to finish the match normally, both players must decide upon what to do
         a) If an EQUAL AND FAIR CONCLUSION CONSIDERED BY BOTH PARTIES is reached, than this will be the official ruling on this match
         b) However, in the event that one cannot be reached, differ the issue to the administrator (me), and I will rule on the match

Z) How are points awarded?
Points are awarded and subtracted based on three attributes. 1) How high your raw ranking is compaired to your opponent. 2) Your Win% and how many matches you've played. 3) How many different opponents you've played. There is a big complicated math formula that went over everyone's head in the original post, so I will only repost it when I've cleaned it up a bit more (and people actually ask to see it).

If you have any other questions or comments, either email me (Mb.ranking@gmail.com) or post it in this thread. I will post an FAQ once questions actually started getting asked. Good luck, see you in the ranking.

Current Standings
tenkai   1031
Zero   1021
Orochiwolf   1009
Lighty   1008
MasterT   1004
AkimotoK   1000
Rakon   999
Spidey   999
Jen   998
FabroRowan   995

« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 08:28:15 PM by XieXie »
AND BEYOND.

Offline SacchinWantPie

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 0
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Unofficial Netplay Ranking
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 01:40:30 PM »
I dont know much about this kind of thing but it sounds awesome to me.  I definitely want to enter.   I really have no idea how you managed to come up with that math. :mystery:  if there is anything i can do to help let me know. 

Well, thanks a lot for going to the trouble of putting something like this together. I'm really looking forward to it.  cya.

Offline Arlieth Tralare

• Die Zauberwaffe
  • Zaubererkommandant
  • Magic Circuits: 123
  • POW!
    • View Profile
    • Melty Bread
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 02:29:40 PM »
I say write up a program that automates the whole damn scoring process. >_>
<bellreisa> arly *has* given up 3s
<bellreisa> retired it anyways
<linalys> no he hasn't
<linalys> it lives on in crouch shield
<proxyZAR> and it will die there too lol

Offline dakanya

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 03:15:58 PM »
TL;DR
hey this sounds like magic
thundering waterfalls

Offline Twinniss

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 06:42:53 PM »
what arly says

just write up a program
Words of a wise man
[20:13] <@bellreisa> with practice mode you can turn 10% into 100%

http://www.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=232643&p=8761841&viewfull=1#post8761841 "For Instance, Cammy's strong kick(crouch) is two frames, because it takes almost 2 seconds to do"

Offline KidPhantom

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 3
  • TT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 07:27:13 PM »
Well, if you could write a program, that would things a lot more realistic, although not sure if you are a programmer=P

But yea, it sounds great, except would you be able to manage the ENTIRE netplay community online by yourself? I mean, this idea is great... And you may get a lot of people signing up. Do ya think it'd be too much work to create such a thing for you? I mean, you do have college right?

But yea, I'd love to sign up, I'm probably gonna be bottom of the rankings though. And... Yea, sounds great.

What really impressed me though, was though you had like no grammar/spelling mistakes in that long post as far as I could see, and you didn't even edit it once O.O

Offline Sledeau

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 6
  • Talk to the cello, bitch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 08:25:51 PM »
I like the idea, but you and anyone who helps you needs to follow through. Netplay tournament stuff has a pretty big history of dying off. I like the idea of going by a point system like chess, though. Of course, going by a straight ELO system would be dumb unless you forced people to accept challenges, and forcing people to accept netplay matches would be horrible. Which is where your point rewards for number of games played and number of different players played shines nicely.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 08:29:01 PM by Sledeau »

Offline asdfqwer

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 09:34:47 PM »
Woohooo I love this idea. ;D

Offline Xie

• Melty Pancake
  • Mechanized
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 02:13:50 AM »
Program

Whoops, I guess I didn't make it clear enough, but I had no intention of doing all the rating calculations by hand, I only put the formula there so you could understanding my mathematical reasoning and such. I fully intend to code some sort of program (or at the nut low, some kind of spreadsheet) to calculate the data for me, as there's absolutely no way I could do all of it by hand, keep it accurate, and stay completely sane at the same time. My knowledge of programming is actually somewhat basic, but this is essentially just taking variables and having it do a math problem over and over again, it's something even I could manage within the hour if I could get away from all the distractions in the world. The real issue is actually cleanly getting the data together into a manageable form, so that's what I'll really be looking into while I work on it.

Capacity
I'm not actually sure if I can really handle the whole netplay community by myself, actually. If my dream comes true and netplay really takes off, I'd have to get some hired help. Luckily, the bigger the community gets, the bigger pool there is for people to help out, so I am hoping that it will expand at a manageable pace. As of right now, my goal is 50 active players, so I'm looking at 25 X 5 matches to input a week, so about 125 matches per week total. At a glance it's a lot, but I used to work as a part time data entry guy and could get something like that done in a couple hours. Still, I'm only guessing, so I really have no idea.

I'm going to edit my post now, I realized that I forgot to put in anything about time and the like, so that would probably be a helpful.
AND BEYOND.

Offline abitofBaileys

• zzz
  • Germaniac
  • Magic Circuits: 159
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 09:07:20 AM »
Sounds amazing, difficult, entertaining and amaz... wait. I said that before. Unfortunately, my fighting skills suck hell and I was only able to beat Sp00ky once in my lifetime.

But I will register later because if there are more guys the winner will get more money. I would give a damn for 20$, especially fighting my innards out for the duration of this tournament. XD

Nice thing, this ranking. I hope it will finish successfully.

Offline LostSoul120

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 2
  • Sha-Bam!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 07:46:51 PM »
I must say, this sounds pretty damn cool. I'd sign up for such a thing if it got up and running. I've got no chance of winning but just having a pool of different people to play with would be awesome.

You get an A for effort for the post alone. Very ambitious and I hope it works out.
Holy shit, it's a flying baby!

Offline Xie

• Melty Pancake
  • Mechanized
    • View Profile
Registration is open. I know it seems overly formal, but in the ever so slight chance this is ranking has an insane amount of popularity (holding my breath here), I might need the extra 27 hours of buffer time to get all that registration data entered. Tell all your friends/family/pets/random strangers!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 04:35:59 PM by XieXie »
AND BEYOND.

Offline abitofBaileys

• zzz
  • Germaniac
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Unofficial Netplay Ranking (Update: Now taking Registrations)
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2008, 08:12:29 PM »
Hell yeah. Registered.

Offline LostSoul120

• Spellcaster
  • Sha-Bam!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2008, 07:35:22 AM »
Registered and looking forward to rounding off the bottom of the rankings.

Only one question, what happens if one player loses and decides to not submit anything? I don't want people to be stupid and not submitting their losses.

Offline abitofBaileys

• zzz
  • Germaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2008, 08:15:44 AM »
I think he gets disqualified. As mentioned before,

X) Follow the rules, breaking one of these rules is a banable offense. Not only that but I will probably find and kill you if you break one of these. Just sayin'.

Isn't that clear enough? :V

Btw, I have a question, too. What's with this sentence?
"Preregistration begins on Sunday 01/06/08, 9:00PM PST. Matches may take place any time after Tuesday 01/08/09 at 12:00AM PST. The beta season will run until the beginning of West Toast X (02/16/07)."

Registration 08, Tournament 09 and until 07? What? XD
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 08:42:11 AM by Fabro Rowan »

Offline LostSoul120

• Spellcaster
  • Sha-Bam!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2008, 08:58:15 AM »
Yea, I read that but how do you settle the dispute? Either one person can claim they played a match and never did or they can play a match and someone can claim it never happened. Thats all I'm asking.

Of course I'm sure no one is going to do it, just wanna know.

Offline Xie

• Melty Pancake
  • Mechanized
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2008, 09:52:39 AM »
Btw, I have a question, too. What's with this sentence?
"Preregistration begins on Sunday 01/06/08, 9:00PM PST. Matches may take place any time after Tuesday 01/08/09 at 12:00AM PST. The beta season will run until the beginning of West Toast X (02/16/07)."

Registration 08, Tournament 09 and until 07? What? XD

Yeah so, I confused the heck out of myself right when I started to write down the dates somehow. I would outline my thought process in doing so but it perplexes me to no end. At any rate, it obviously means registration will go for a whole year, then the tournament will end last year. Simple right?

Yea, I read that but how do you settle the dispute? Either one person can claim they played a match and never did or they can play a match and someone can claim it never happened. Thats all I'm asking.

Of course I'm sure no one is going to do it, just wanna know.

This is a really tough one and I hope I don't have to do this too often (or at all preferably). First I would check if this is an honest mistake or not. Maybe PlayerA thought he was playing against PlayerB but instead was playing against PlayerC, which is why there is a discrepancy in the data (hence, the overwhelming importance of having both players report the match information). But in essence, if that is not the case, the only fair way to deal with this is to look at the evidence and situation carefully and try to come up with a solution that has greater than a 95% chance of being correct. If I can't come up with a proper solution, I will most likely annul the match results and give both players a warning.

Players will a warning will have their results watched very, very closely by me for any other sorts of funny business, but other than that, a warning is technically meaningless and will be repealed eventually at my discression. However, a player who receives a second warning from me is in pretty deep water. That player better have a good explanation for what has been going on if he knows what's good for him. A second warning is basically the same as being flagged for disqualification.
AND BEYOND.

Offline NinjaNero

• Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 26
  • Warblackia
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2008, 11:11:58 AM »
TL;DR
hey this sounds like magic
Hey that sounds like Visual Basic!

Is there an entry fee?
I didnt see one mentioned.
"I-P-C-O-N...'
"M?"
"No, N as in.."
"Oh, N, as in knife" "...yes..."

Offline Spidey

• Spellcaster
  • No homo
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2008, 02:54:23 PM »

I'll be right down there with you  :)
Soko Darou

Offline Rarkon

• Apprentice
  • Magic Circuits: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2008, 02:55:33 PM »

Scrubs of MBCaster unite!  :D

Offline Spidey

• Spellcaster
  • No homo
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2008, 03:07:09 PM »

lol...Well at least we can play each other instead of continually being beasted by the pros. But I'm always in the mood for a good beasting.  ;D
Soko Darou

Offline Chie Satonaka

• I wish I wasn´t a white person
  • Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 25
  • STEAK! STEAK! STEAK! STEAK! STEAK! STEAK! STEAK!
    • View Profile
    • My twitter!
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2008, 03:09:40 PM »
Registered
Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak!

Offline NinjaNero

• Magus Candidate
  • Warblackia
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2008, 04:30:13 PM »

lol...Well at least we can play each other instead of continually being beasted by the pros. But I'm always in the mood for a good beasting.  ;D
First of all are you saying you suck and are tired of getting beaten by us pros?...
Well...Wait...What...I SUCK TOO!
Im with you guys there should be a you suck bracket and a you are amazing bracket and the winners should play each other.
Second why did you quote yourself??
"I-P-C-O-N...'
"M?"
"No, N as in.."

Offline LostSoul120

• Spellcaster
  • Sha-Bam!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2008, 05:27:43 PM »

First of all are you saying you suck and are tired of getting beaten by us pros?...
Im with you guys there should be a you suck bracket and a you are amazing bracket and the winners should play each other.

Together the weak shall claim the Earth! Gunna lose but gunna have a hell of a time doing it!

Offline NinjaNero

• Magus Candidate
  • Warblackia
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2008, 05:32:00 PM »

Together the weak shall claim the Earth! Gunna lose but gunna have a hell of a time doing it!
And its funny!!!!!!!!
 :D :D ;D ;D
"I-P-C-O-N...'
"M?"
"No, N as in.."