When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Arizona Phoenix Valley - MBAACC - We paid for netplay.  (Read 417033 times)

Offline COD3player

• Camouflaged Curry
  • Magic Circuits: 51
  • H.A.T.R.
    • View Profile
Re: Arizona Phoenix Valley - MBAACC - We paid for netplay.
« Reply #575 on: January 31, 2013, 06:14:16 PM »
You practiced a lot of P4 last time. :V

I'd prefer Saturday as usual.

dippy, any word if juicebox wanted to do anything local for VF?

Lag switcher pt.2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE-fkYAslYQ
<--- "the irony of being one of the least anime people in the anime FGC" - bell

Offline Ryd

• Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: February 01, 2013, 09:11:48 AM »
I mean outside the meetups.  The bulk of my time's been going into work/class/TERA/reading/bass research, and probably reviewing music theory in the near future.  And I kinda want to learn Liz because of how vocal some people have been about how bad she is.  And VF...I should put more time into that.
:prinny:

Offline Tempered

• America is free to Satsuki
  • Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 22
  • fullscreen j.[c] mixup
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: February 02, 2013, 03:05:45 AM »
Cut tera. problem solved. Also either day works for me. Today theres a chance ill be busy up until 4, but I dont have work so I can stay up late with you guy and we can have pillow fights or something. On a serious note Text/Call me or Text dippy before head over.
During Loser's Finals at NECX:

<Crowd at Jiyuna about to Lose> Na na na naaaa, na na na naaaa, hey hey hey, Goodbyeeee~

Offline COD3player

• Camouflaged Curry
  • H.A.T.R.
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: February 02, 2013, 11:23:04 AM »
Late night today? That's cool. Haven't had those in a while. I don't have work tomorrow either. Pillow fights? Eh... :psyduck:

I mean outside the meetups.  The bulk of my time's been going into work/class/TERA/reading/bass research, and probably reviewing music theory in the near future.  And I kinda want to learn Liz because of how vocal some people have been about how bad she is.  And VF...I should put more time into that.

I don't think Liz is a bad character, just that she has much less room for error than other characters due to her paper thin lifebar.

Since it's been a while, here are a few suggestions that I have for VF, more like small reminders:
- Hit up command training a few times. It's very easy to lose track of all your moves especially if you're playing a stance character.

- Combo training. Having a good combo is fine and dandy, but there are other ways to start combos. Learn a stable combo for the different starters you have. Don't worry about optimizing damage until later. Which brings also means...

- Learn a wall combo. Everyone can bring the pain when a wall comes into the picture. Seemingly low damage characters become high damage ones instantly. Thankfully it's very easy to set up wall combo scenarios in training.

- If you're playing against dippy any time today, learn Taka-specific combos/strings. lol Some strings are either better or worse against him due to his size and weight. I found it kinda fun to use him as the dummy in training mode because there's a lot of stuff to explore. It's kinda silly when you find some of the combos that do work against him and no one else.

- Create another costume? :V

I wanted to download the DOA5 patch but I heard there were issues with it but I don't remember what they were.

Offline Tempered

• Magus Candidate
  • fullscreen j.[c] mixup
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: February 02, 2013, 12:17:33 PM »
well i'm available now. plans were cancelled but I wanted some extra sleep :V ill probably practice a little VF before you guys head over though.

<Crowd at Jiyuna about to Lose> Na na na naaaa, na na na naaaa, hey hey hey, Goodbyeeee~

Offline COD3player

• Camouflaged Curry
  • H.A.T.R.
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: February 03, 2013, 12:40:49 AM »
I'll see you guys later today. Probably going to try to be there between 2 and 3 and leave earlier than usual since you know, work the next morning. :|

There's something I wanted to briefly discuss since someone asked me this on on my ask.fm account but haven't taken the time to answer yet but I will soon. This came up when we were watching TTT2 grand finals but I never really got to say much about it. So a little food for thought. I don't believe there's anything wrong with playing a certain character because you like the character, but at the same time I kinda do. I feel like if you're playing a character just because you like the character, but they don't necessarily suit your playstyle, then you're only being a hindrance to yourself. Fighting games are math and science. There's a lot of numbers involved, and a lot of theory behind it. The way I see it is, if I don't like the way a character plays or their mechanics don't suit my mentality, I won't play them because I don't feel like I'm being effective or maximizing my potential. There's a trend in all the characters that I play, and there's reasoning behind it. Whether people think it's "boring" or any variant thereof is irrelevant. Though this tends to get a little hazy in 3D fighters due to how different they are from 2D ones, but even the characters I use have their similarities, albeit subtle. That's the way I see it. I had more to say about this but I've kinda blanked out atm, it's late.

Of course, that's just my opinion, and the try-hard within me talking. Fighting games are still games, and I haven't lost sight of what it means to enjoy a game on its own merit. Examples of these are the times when we're playing random matches, or when we did team swap matches in Tag 2. lol I was just feeling in a very analytical mood when I got back, but didn't really have much to say about it at the time. I tend to be in a very analytical mindset after the fact, which is why if you ask me during matches why I did what I did, I wouldn't be able to have an answer readily available for you. And I know this annoys some. :|

Going back to the idea of the pillow fights, I was reluctant until I saw the pillows that would be used. :V Thankfully no one saw my reaction. :mystery:

And VF...I should put more time into that.
*practices Liz combos for like 3-4 hours*

I didn't know Liz was in VF. Secret boss? Damn, now I'm scared. :bricks:

Sorry, I just happened to notice that. lol I need to brush off the rust in Persona as well so I'm guilty. Not that I play hard characters, it's just well, you know. :| I'd have an easier time with that than trying to brush off the rust in Melee. That rust is never going to go away for me at this point. :gonk:

I mean to say this while I was playing VF earlier but never got the chance:
I was trying to chill out today man. I had a long day. I got no sleep the night before. And now I've got this fatass. Dealing with his bullshit.

I know I requested the match, but still. :-\ All part of the learning process.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 12:47:45 AM by S.M.A.P.C.F. »

Offline Ryd

• Magus Candidate
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: February 03, 2013, 12:56:02 PM »
All I really have to say on that matter is that I will not play a character I don't like.  We saw that in AH3; by all means, I should've been all over Maori given her playstyle, but I didn't like her personality (or lack thereof) and the aesthetics behind her playstyle, so Petra saw a lot more use.  I think a large part of why it's hard to get me hype for VF is because I've known wooden planks and VN protagonists with more personality than the bulk of its cast.  I think Lion is the only one with a shred of genuine personality; it's just a pity that 137% of said personality is "annoying little bitch".  Compare to the Tekken characters I like: Lee/Violet (stylish ladies' man), Asuka (rough, weird combo of bro/quasi-authoritarian), Lili (prissy bitch), and Alisa (moe-moe robo-chan :V I mean...cheery ditz); or DoA characters: Ayane (pure bitch) and Bayman (pure badass)...and yeah, VF leaves me wanting.  I generally don't really try to mold myself around a characters' playstyle either, though; if I character isn't fun for me to play, then I generally don't play them.

Also, H-F: "should" ≠ "will".  And I did say that I wanted to learn Liz.

Offline COD3player

• Camouflaged Curry
  • H.A.T.R.
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: February 03, 2013, 09:25:03 PM »
...moe-moe robo-chan...
It was all making sense until I read that, at which point I promptly stopped reading. You're just too anime my friend. :V

Considering what's been going on, of the many times we said we had little to no interest in playing SFxT, dippy was the first to defile his hands. lol Watch this 2013 update turn out to be nothing more than a placebo effect. Give it a few months or so. Truth be told I'd almost want to try it out if the teams I played in Tag 2 were available, but sadly they're not. :(

dippy can you link the most recent VF tier list? I'm curious to see how all the characters rank at this juncture. I HATE fighting Lion. HATE him. I think one time I just stood there and ate like, 2, maybe 3 2KKs in a row without doing anything. I wasn't paying attention. :psyduck:

In the interest of trying to plan ahead, what days would work best to meet up next weekend? I might have birthday stuff to attend to (not all my own mind you) around that time so I'd like to get an idea of what will work best. My actual birthday will continue to remain a mystery. :mystery:
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 11:48:48 PM by S.M.A.P.C.F. »

Offline Tempered

• Magus Candidate
  • fullscreen j.[c] mixup
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: February 04, 2013, 08:55:19 PM »
Friday Saturday and Sunday all work for me really. Any day actually but whatever you guys want to do. well... Just not Thursday.

Offline Ryd

• Magus Candidate
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: February 05, 2013, 10:40:43 AM »
Sat/Sun should work for me unless I get called in.  And since I'm currently slated for Sun/Mon off, I won't have to bail early.

Working Sunday morning, but can still do Sat night if that works better for everyone else.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 02:46:42 PM by Ryd »

Offline MaruchanNoodles

• Apprentice
  • Magic Circuits: 0
  • I Barely Even Play This Game
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: February 06, 2013, 02:58:49 PM »
It's M19 from Homingcancel/Dustloop. Just sayin' "Hey"

Offline Tempered

• Magus Candidate
  • fullscreen j.[c] mixup
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: February 07, 2013, 12:16:08 PM »
Hiya

Offline COD3player

• Camouflaged Curry
  • H.A.T.R.
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: February 08, 2013, 07:10:20 PM »
Tomorrow's looking really busy for me. Lots of driving around, and a birthday party to attend which will pretty much be the rest of my day. I'm ok to meet up on Sunday if everyone else is.

Offline Ryd

• Magus Candidate
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: February 08, 2013, 08:44:52 PM »
Works for me.

Offline Ryd

• Magus Candidate
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: February 11, 2013, 09:23:54 PM »
I won't be available Sat or Sun this weekend.  Fri (or Mon...) works though.

Offline COD3player

• Camouflaged Curry
  • H.A.T.R.
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: February 12, 2013, 06:39:27 PM »
Diamonds are forever.

And I didn't even need to mine for them!

I can do Friday if I can get out a little early. Monday doesn't work so well for me, but it might for everyone else. :|

Offline Tempered

• Magus Candidate
  • fullscreen j.[c] mixup
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: February 13, 2013, 06:10:13 PM »
Friday is fine with me. but Monday no for sure.

Offline Ryd

• Magus Candidate
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: February 15, 2013, 06:41:30 AM »
Scrap that, called in to work tonight.

Offline Tempered

• Magus Candidate
  • fullscreen j.[c] mixup
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: February 15, 2013, 09:25:27 AM »
Skip this weekend then? I mean we could meet up monday but ill probably be a bit grumpy and HF might not be able to make it. Could make it a date with dippy!  :nyoro:

Offline COD3player

• Camouflaged Curry
  • H.A.T.R.
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: February 15, 2013, 10:09:22 AM »
I just got off work. I can still meet up with the rest of you guys just to pass the time since it's Friday and all. But Monday is most likely not going to work out for me. :-\

Tempered: txt me when you get back so I know when it's ok to head over.

Offline Ryd

• Magus Candidate
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: February 15, 2013, 09:49:51 PM »
I'm working late Sat/Sun this weekend, so yeah, I'm scrapping it.  For next week, Mon/Wed/Fri are looking to be the days I'll be free; not sure about Sunday yet.

Offline COD3player

• Camouflaged Curry
  • H.A.T.R.
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: February 18, 2013, 09:49:00 AM »
It's Monday, and surprisingly I'm available today if everyone else is. :V Got an early out due to weird scheduling and stuff.

Offline Dipstick

• Poverty Emeritus
  • Melty Waffle
  • Magic Circuits: 61
  • cascade of unrepentant doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: February 18, 2013, 11:30:54 AM »
I have a couple of errands to run and Tempered has work until... well... now, and both of us have work tomorrow. So if you want to come early and leave early, sure.
Worst Nanaya and second worst Ryougi player in the USA

それがわたしのスタンダード!

Offline Ryd

• Magus Candidate
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: February 20, 2013, 09:17:04 PM »
Fri/Sun look like they'll work for me this week, though if everyone wants to meet up on Sun, I probably won't show till after 5 due to Matsuri.

Offline COD3player

• Camouflaged Curry
  • H.A.T.R.
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: February 20, 2013, 10:00:47 PM »
I'll be able to do Sunday since I'll be busy on Friday.