When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: AZ - Welcome to DESERT COAST.  (Read 367365 times)

Offline Kiiroe

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 4
    • View Profile
Re: AZ - Welcome to DESERT COAST.
« Reply #825 on: April 03, 2010, 03:04:39 AM »
All right, I will be definitely coming tomorrow. Ride arranged, gots money, and ready to play.

And i got a memory card and blank dvd-r. SUPER preparedness haha
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 03:09:36 AM by Kiiroe »
They observe me operating my automobile,  They are prejudiced

Offline COD3player

• Camouflaged Curry
  • Magic Circuits: 51
  • H.A.T.R.
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: April 03, 2010, 09:36:57 AM »
Will probably show up early because I have to leave early.
<--- "the irony of being one of the least anime people in the anime FGC" - bell

Offline Kiiroe

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: April 03, 2010, 04:02:14 PM »
Im probably gonna end up there a little  after 6 o' clock

Offline COD3player

• Camouflaged Curry
  • H.A.T.R.
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: April 03, 2010, 04:16:51 PM »
I'm hoping to be there around 7-ish.

Offline Kiiroe

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: April 03, 2010, 11:01:33 PM »
eyyyyyyy I had a great time tonight. I learned one combo so im satisfied haha. Sorry i had to leave so suddenly though, but watcha gon do  :-\

As im sure youve figured out, i dont talk much unless its the internet

Offline Tempered

• America is free to Satsuki
  • Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 22
  • fullscreen j.[c] mixup
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: April 04, 2010, 04:01:43 AM »
Hey as long as you had a good time its all good.
During Loser's Finals at NECX:

<Crowd at Jiyuna about to Lose> Na na na naaaa, na na na naaaa, hey hey hey, Goodbyeeee~

Offline Dipstick

• Poverty Emeritus
  • Melty Waffle
  • Magic Circuits: 61
  • cascade of unrepentant doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: April 04, 2010, 06:59:43 AM »
Too many people at these gatherings now. x_x

Granted I probably could have played more, but I had to kind of el oh el at Shashin losing 100 games while people were waiting to play. Either people need to be more forceful about cycling in and out (I was too tired to give a shit and would have played like shit last night, but yeah) or some rules need to be formalized.

In regards to mentoring, I don't think that would work real well. There's a difference between playing well and teaching well (for example, Choco gives advice about as well as he takes it :P ), and I know that at least for me if people asked me advice about C-R.Arc or H-Kohaku or... well... really, anyone outside of the characters I play, it wouldn't end very well.
Worst Nanaya and second worst Ryougi player in the USA

それがわたしのスタンダード!

Offline COD3player

• Camouflaged Curry
  • H.A.T.R.
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: April 04, 2010, 12:07:05 PM »
@Kiiroe Sorry I didn't give you a proper greeting last night. You looked very busy in training mode and I didn't want to disturb you. :psyduck: On the bright side, welcome to the scene. You now have a setup to practice on at home. :) We'll do the best we can to answer whatever questions you have about the game. Hell even the more experienced players like ourselves have questions that we would like to be answered. Hell I've got quite a few myself, see paragraph below to get an idea. <.<

GGs to all whom I played against. uuuuugh, I left pretty infuriated last night in spite of my seemingly monster win-loss ratio. I've told a few of you the story so you know what I'm referring to. I'm just going to suck it up and say that playing another marathon of matches at 3 am onward is not the smartest thing to do. That's what I get for overstaying my time. :-\

And I agree, 100+ matches between the same two people is WAY too much. We need to definitely get a rotation going. I don't like having to interrupt matches to get in on a series of matches even if I usually get it. 3/5 or something should be good enough and it should be enforced. Since there's not that many of us, the rotation will be going constantly.

I'm not too keen on the tutoring idea myself as I can explain some engine mechanics, but for character specifics, I can only explain what I know about the characters I use. I'd suggest streaming or recording matches and reviewing them since it's something everyone can benefit from. That's how I usually learn. I was really hoping that the videos from last week's ranbat would be posted so I could review them, and I know I played REALLY sloppy but I can't exactly remember everything. It would be nice to just go back and see what we all did wrong so we can iron out all the kinks.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 05:41:46 PM by Yukianesa »

Offline Territorial Oak

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: April 04, 2010, 05:12:21 PM »
Yeah, videos would be nice.

As for mentoring, I understand what you guys mean, but I think it would be best if we just got some more interaction and question asking going on.  Even if we don't know the character in question, it doesn't mean we can't have any feedback like "This is pretty unsafe" or "Why do you use that move?"  At the very least, we can give them some matchup knowledge from our perspective, which can help a lot if they're having trouble with that specific matchup.

In the end, I just figured doing SOMETHING to use the experience/knowledge of the players who placed higher to the benefit of the people who are just starting is a good start; even if it's not much, some dialogue is better than no dialogue.

Offline sherbet

• Apprentice
  • Magic Circuits: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: April 04, 2010, 11:20:27 PM »
Oh man, my ASU dorm is only about 10 min away from the meetup location and I never even knew AZ had a scene. Been playing mbac consistently for over a year now and haven't really gotten a chance to get into mbaa since I couldn't find anyone else who played locally, although I do own mbaa and a ps2 stick. I would love to start attending if only I had a car :psyduck:
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 11:29:26 PM by sherbet »

Offline Territorial Oak

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: April 05, 2010, 10:40:42 AM »
This is not an excuse, sir.

I ride my bike 5 miles one way to attend this shit on saturdays.

Also, get in touch with someone and ask for a ride?  I know Carlos gave me a ride once, but meh whatever.

In either case, we'd love to see more people around.  Never hurts to have more comp.

Offline Choco

• Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 69
  • IM MAD
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: April 05, 2010, 02:09:11 PM »
Oh man, my ASU dorm is only about 10 min away from the meetup location and I never even knew AZ had a scene. Been playing mbac consistently for over a year now and haven't really gotten a chance to get into mbaa since I couldn't find anyone else who played locally, although I do own mbaa and a ps2 stick. I would love to start attending if only I had a car :psyduck:

Been a member since the end of 2008?! Dang! I've had two threads in this section, and the main thread has always been on the first page :O You're late!

So for rides, we can probably find a bus route for you out here, or we can work a pickup out somehow. All the info on the first page is valid still, too.

Offline Tempered

• Magus Candidate
  • fullscreen j.[c] mixup
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: April 05, 2010, 02:49:27 PM »
Yeah. Just go up to the Tempe Transit Center and ride the 48 down to our place. Then you can ride it back as well. Bus' runs until midnight as well on sat.

<Crowd at Jiyuna about to Lose> Na na na naaaa, na na na naaaa, hey hey hey, Goodbyeeee~

Offline sherbet

• Apprentice
  • Magic Circuits: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: April 05, 2010, 04:16:32 PM »
Yeah I think I'll try that then, although I'll probably arrive early and leave early if the bus only runs till midnight. Might be a week or two before I start showing up. I need to grind some bnbs and blockstrings anyways so I don't get my shit pushed in too hard  :V

How many setups do you guys have? Would I need to bring my own stick or whatever

Offline Ryd

• Magus Candidate
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: April 05, 2010, 04:39:12 PM »
Bringing your own stick is always advisable.

Depending on which of the ASU dorms you're at and if you plan on staying later than the buses run, I wouldn't mind giving you a ride home, since I usually drop Ted off at the dorms near Mill/10th as it is.  You're probably better off working out your own way to get to the outings though (or at least not depending on me), as I don't really have a set time that I try to get down there.  Of course, how late I stay from here on out really depends on how my work schedule is going to be looking =T
:prinny:

Offline Tempered

• Magus Candidate
  • fullscreen j.[c] mixup
    • View Profile
« Reply #840 on: April 05, 2010, 05:35:02 PM »
setups generally depend on who arrive first. we usually have 2 gg and 2 melty setups with and extra random setup for BB or TvC or SF4 or HDR

Offline Dipstick

• Poverty Emeritus
  • Melty Waffle
  • Magic Circuits: 61
  • cascade of unrepentant doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: April 05, 2010, 07:43:30 PM »
Fuck GG; those setups should be put on blast. :V

Glide (or anyone else really, but it's the most applicable to him imo), you should pick a day and come down to where I live for some mid-week sessions. I know you work within pissing distance of where I live, and I'm finding to play since I haven't played in over a week.
Worst Nanaya and second worst Ryougi player in the USA

それがわたしのスタンダード!

Offline Territorial Oak

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: April 05, 2010, 09:00:31 PM »
Sure man, I'm down for midweek sessions.  Just text me, it'll give me a reason to go down to that side of town and work a few more hours too, so it's MAD win/win.

480-241-4499 if you don't have DAT NUMBER.

Offline Territorial Oak

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: April 05, 2010, 09:06:56 PM »
Yeah I think I'll try that then, although I'll probably arrive early and leave early if the bus only runs till midnight. Might be a week or two before I start showing up. I need to grind some bnbs and blockstrings anyways so I don't get my shit pushed in too hard  :V

How many setups do you guys have? Would I need to bring my own stick or whatever

I totally encourage you to stop by at least once, even if you're still grinding BnBs.  Depending on the players, we might have some people who are picking up alts and are around the same skill level.  I know that I still need a LOT of work with my F-Miyako, so I guarantee whatever you bring to the table will be fine as long your zoning/air footsies is up to par.

EDIT:
Also, I double posted.  LOOK AT ME GO.

Offline COD3player

• Camouflaged Curry
  • H.A.T.R.
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: April 06, 2010, 10:41:29 PM »
Does anyone know Ted's username on dustloop? He's supposed to inform me when the arcade (keep forgetting the name) is getting S!AH2. I'm puzzled, because if they can afford S!AH2, why not just get AH3 instead? The 3.01 patch is supposed to be free too. ???

Offline Ryd

• Magus Candidate
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: April 06, 2010, 11:02:46 PM »
Synthesis
:prinny:

Offline COD3player

• Camouflaged Curry
  • H.A.T.R.
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: April 07, 2010, 01:33:47 PM »
Got it.

Also, could we possibly record matches this weekend? Ideally I think we should EVERY weekend as it will definitely help being able to review your own matches. Anyone who wants to be recorded should volunteer and it should be like 2/3 or 3/5 or something just to keep the rotation going. If someone defeats all the players (ie. "around the world"), then that player should give up their spot to the next person in the rotation to ensure that everyone gets a chance to play everyone else. 100+ match sessions are just way too long and with the increased number of players, won't really help.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 01:25:49 PM by Yukianesa »

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Magic Circuits: 120
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: April 09, 2010, 02:03:46 AM »
You're giving Vegas their own team (what have they even done? They don't even travel anywhere!) but you want Arizona to compete with space with Texas and OR/WA?

Fuck. That. I'm tempted to convince everyone in Arizona not enter out of protest. 

Yo, honestly I'm cool with region teaming with AZ.  We're both desert coast, after all.  I just thought we needed more teams, and I didn't know if AZ would be cool with teaming up or whatever.  Dippy, get am me and we'll talk about it.
<LoliSauce>   Yeah, so I live right in between an elementary school and a middle school about a block on each side of me
<Zar>      God loves you, Lolisauce
---
<Mauve>      [The Touhou fandom] are like the moe character equivalent of furries.

Offline Kiiroe

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: April 09, 2010, 07:47:41 PM »
Hey I have to take the bus out there this Saturday. I dont ever ride the bus ??? so, does anyone know a bus i can take from Avondale? Or where is should look to find one?

Im serious when i say ive NEVER ridden the bus haha
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 07:53:30 PM by Kiiroe »

Offline Tempered

• Magus Candidate
  • fullscreen j.[c] mixup
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: April 10, 2010, 12:03:06 AM »
http://www.valleymetro.org/ is the site to our local bus system.