When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: AZ - Welcome to DESERT COAST.  (Read 362628 times)

Offline milesokeefe

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 50
    • View Profile
Re: AZ - Welcome to DESERT COAST.
« Reply #275 on: September 27, 2007, 07:52:51 AM »
Friday evening Melty Blood practice w/cooking on the side.

Sounds like lokanos'll be making loads of the stuff, everyone's welcome to have some- my concern was that it'd be too vegetable-y for ppl's tastes, but it was decided that the vegetable haters could suffer  >:D

gotta practice my melty tonight

Offline Synthesis

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 29
  • How about some Ether Drive to the face!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: September 27, 2007, 08:47:09 PM »
omg! I've never had curry! I'll be there tomorrow for it! As well as melty, and the occasional guilty gear playing. I'm landing the ground FRC with I-No now. T_T Rawr.
"Mmmm............ dead chicks."
             -Anonymous- (you know who you are)

Offline Mailorder

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 34
  • sup
    • View Profile
    • MySpace - Add Me!
« Reply #277 on: September 29, 2007, 06:08:25 AM »
good games.

vs. Q-chu : 8 wins, 35-40 losses
insane, dude.  we used to be equal, but you leveled up for sure.  I lost so much for the same reason I lose a ton to Choco: I suck at watching my opponent when I'm getting up.  my reflexes were slow on adjusting to whether you were gonna do the semi-charged overhead or the low for oki.  then when I was actively thinking about blocking high for the semi-charged overhead, my stupid self forgot about the low that came next.

I already know that if the hits connect, you take it to air combo.  if not, you chain into your ground blood rings which seems safe on block.  (I'll address this later)  if you have the meter, you burn it on ex blood rings right after... and the chip damage doesn't look worth it.  I didn't question you on it at the time because you were winning, and I didn't want to look like a sore loser or something.  after I block all the blood rings, you'll do a jump in.  if I jump as well, I'm air-thrown.  if I don't, I'm back in the same block string. 

in later matches, you would start doing variations like a double jump... you started doing that after I started ex-shielding a bit.  that's good.  I'm sure you noticed that I also started using shield bunker more.  I was testing around for places in your blockstring to use it.. it seemed like if I shield bunker'd the first blood ring on block, we'd trade hits.  either way, I'll test around and see if there's an obvious place to shield bunker the same old blockstring you use.  I was mostly frustrated because you were using the same blockstring over and over and I wasn't having much luck in finding openings.  If I lose horribly, I want it to be because your blockstring mix-up was so intense that my eyes couldn't keep up.  not because you're using the same one over and over, and I'm getting randomly hit because I'm trying to find gaps.  I'm sort of obsessed about this sort of thing, because it almost reminds me of GNT.  I wrote a guide that's on gamefaqs about interrupting block strings with back+B, and shield bunker for MB is sort of the equivalent.  either way, I'll take this to training mode.

vs. Lokanas: 5 wins, 16 losses
told ya I was gonna get my bnb back together, man!  you beat me soundly, but I can feel satisfied knowing it wasn't because of me struggling with re-adjusting to MB w/out netplay delay on top of other crappy delay settings for MBAC PC on my laptop.  you are an excellent Ciel player, and you need to stay in AZ! 

you're telling me that I'm predictable.  that may be so.  but I'd love it if it's possible for you to go into more detail.  when you critiqued Ted's Aoko and showed him holes in his game by actually punishing him in that hole, that was educational.  I'm sure I have plenty of bad habits that you're probably exploiting to get combos off me.  feel free to share!

as for the times I landed combos off you, I recall it was usually from a CH jetpack or a 2b (low extendo hand push).  I remember the 2b hits the most, because you noted that I improved, because I wasn't spamming jetpacks as much anymore.  spamming jetpacks is where I get my CH combos, so I didn't understand what you meant at first.  then I did some thinking and I remembered your fast dash, and realized that you were probably starting most combos on me from dashing in and hitting me in TK jetpack startup.  with that knowledge, I mixed up my game.  I spammed my jetpacks whenever at a distance, but I'd purposely shoot a risky jetpack closer to you in order to bait you to dash in... in which my 2b is ready to intercept.

I'd love to analyze the gaps in your blockstrings when I'm cornered and you're up in my face, but I need to play Ciel a tiny bit more to understand her options.  as of now, I'm only using mind games when I'm playing a successful keepaway game.  when I'm under heavy pressure, I'm going by gut to shield bunker/ex-shield/counter-poke you.  and that is bad.  going by my gut is barely better than random guessing.  course, if you want to share your fav. block string options, I'm all ears : )

vs. Jaxx: 7-8 wins, 4-5 losses
tellin' ya man, I upped my game!  I realized that 70% of the time you're comboing me, it's because I was in the air.  you caught me inputting my aerial backdash.  interrupted my crossbow.  HUUUAAAA'd my face for jetpacking too close.  and a classic, locking me in aerial blockstun and doing an air-unblockable normal into combo since you land before I do.  I found that I often caught myself in these situations because I was mashing whilst being combo'd and air recovered out... and back into another combo. 

How did I solve this problem?  don't be in the air.  I've tightened up my execution on TK jetpacks, so you'll see fewer random jumps (sign of a failed TK jetpack).  I'm cutting down on the random crossbows (that urge is hard to kill!).  I definitely won't challenge you in the air; although I am curious if my j.B could slap ya out the skies if I'm under you.

and I just blocked better. Nero doesn't really have high/low mixup, so why was I panicking before?  the setups with the animals aren't that hard to block, either. The only mixup I found threatening was when you jumped in with j.B and went for a throw or 2b.  sometimes I screw up on blocking jump-in j.Bs and start crouching too soon.  if I block it right, I gotta keep focused and see if you're walking towards me for the throw.

anyway, I look forward to more matches : p  I'm gonna step it up, man!

-----

Here's something fun I tried today.  I made a few attempts to land an air unblockable normal (5b)-> combo whenever someone air recovered from a non-CH jetpack.  everytime I tried it on Quinn, I got hit.  his j.B (double red orbiting slashes) probably has enough range and priority to beat my 5b.  I remember landing it twice on Will.  maybe Ciel's air normals just don't have the range and priority vs. Mech-HISUI?  don't remember for Jaxx.  I've been slammed by Nero's j.B and j.C too many times to remember.

in short, I need to use 2c instead.

Offline Mailorder

• Spellcaster
  • sup
    • View Profile
    • MySpace - Add Me!
« Reply #278 on: September 30, 2007, 06:08:29 AM »
Lokanas and Dan and Dan's brother who I think was helping with the cooking:

The curry was delicious.  Thanks.

Offline Lokanas

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 2
  • MEGANEZOKUSEI, UNITE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: September 30, 2007, 09:12:06 PM »
Loool, good games, Mailorder. I'll make sure to point out where ur doin it rong this week. As for my favorite blockstrings, they're constantly changing :x I seem to have a new favorite every few days. I need to get it to the point where I just don't have one I use more than the others .-. Also, DCC me that one picture that's similar to the one my friend in Japan drew sometime. She's pretty interested in it.
<@SILLYKICK> ARIZONA TEAM, GATTAI!  Lokanas! You form the torso! Tempered! You form the arms! Jaxx will be the fro! Duppy can be the penis! Together we are GREAT ROBOT CHOK-OH

Offline milesokeefe

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 50
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: October 01, 2007, 07:55:43 AM »
Thanks for the analyses, mailorder. That's some good stuff right there.

Think I'll follow Lokanos' advice and fiddle around with netplay. I was going to avoid netplay altogether when I heard mailorder and choco complain about the bad things it did to their execution, but there are only so many things you can learn in practice mode

Offline Mailorder

• Spellcaster
  • sup
    • View Profile
    • MySpace - Add Me!
« Reply #281 on: October 02, 2007, 05:44:11 PM »
is ranking battle this weekend gonna be round robin or brackets

Offline Q Chu

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 36
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #282 on: October 02, 2007, 06:14:31 PM »
round robin

accept no other
I sent that bitch a smiley face. Bitches  smiley faces.

Offline Lokanas

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • MEGANEZOKUSEI, UNITE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: October 02, 2007, 07:15:30 PM »
Round robin does sound a lot better. You can get a better idea of someone's over skill, etc.
<@SILLYKICK> ARIZONA TEAM, GATTAI!  Lokanas! You form the torso! Tempered! You form the arms! Jaxx will be the fro! Duppy can be the penis! Together we are GREAT ROBOT CHOK-OH

Offline Q Chu

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #284 on: October 03, 2007, 09:26:24 PM »
I don't think I can make it on Friday, I don't have a car for the time being.

Offline Mailorder

• Spellcaster
  • sup
    • View Profile
    • MySpace - Add Me!
« Reply #285 on: October 03, 2007, 10:04:21 PM »
how are you getting to work .. <.<

and school?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 10:16:23 PM by Mailorder »

Offline Choco

• Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 69
  • IM MAD
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: October 04, 2007, 03:44:39 AM »
Can't make it? That is not unfortunate, that is unacceptable.

Offline Q Chu

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #287 on: October 04, 2007, 05:13:38 AM »
how are you getting to work .. <.<

and school?

rides

I'm probably getting a new car within the week.

Offline Mailorder

• Spellcaster
  • sup
    • View Profile
    • MySpace - Add Me!
« Reply #288 on: October 04, 2007, 05:18:04 AM »
take the bus, bro!  Ted's done it, so can you!

when did your car break down?

Offline Q Chu

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #289 on: October 04, 2007, 05:29:13 AM »
Yesterday

and the bus doesn't go all the way to my house

Offline Lokanas

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • MEGANEZOKUSEI, UNITE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: October 04, 2007, 01:53:34 PM »
Things are a no go for me tomorrow unless one of you can pick me up and then drive me back here by noon on Saturday =/ We're going to California to grab our car from the docks...gonna be gone until Tuesday so we can visit our father.

Offline Synthesis

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 29
  • How about some Ether Drive to the face!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: October 04, 2007, 05:34:27 PM »
It's going to be a no go for me for the next three weekends. Here are the reasons.

This weekend: I'm going to Glendale, watching a play, going to a party, and spending the night at Andrew's house.
Next weekend: Homecoming/babysitting all weekend.
Weekend after: Another homecoming dance. ^_^

Sorry about this, I'm really busy. ^_^
"Mmmm............ dead chicks."
             -Anonymous- (you know who you are)

Offline Lokanas

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • MEGANEZOKUSEI, UNITE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: October 04, 2007, 06:12:10 PM »
Everyone's dropping out of ranbat week!  :slowpoke:

Offline Mailorder

• Spellcaster
  • sup
    • View Profile
    • MySpace - Add Me!
« Reply #293 on: October 05, 2007, 12:58:37 AM »
Brian's moving it.  Too many people bailing.  gonna be either next week or week after that

Offline COD3player

• Camouflaged Curry
  • Magic Circuits: 51
  • H.A.T.R.
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: October 06, 2007, 11:08:56 AM »
Hey guys, I'm going to be in Phoenix during Thanksgiving weekend. Hopefully I'll be able to join all of you if something is going down. Also, WT8 is going to be on the 24th. Any of you guys plan on going? From the looks of things, I probably won't be able to because I'll be with my family that day travelling back. :-\
<--- "the irony of being one of the least anime people in the anime FGC" - bell

Offline Mailorder

• Spellcaster
  • sup
    • View Profile
    • MySpace - Add Me!
« Reply #295 on: October 08, 2007, 07:37:22 AM »
we're always at Choco + milesokeefe's place (they're roommates) on fridays and saturdays.  friday is more melty night and usually hosted by choco, saturday for GG hosted by milesokeefe.

but these days, it's been more like... fri + sat : play whatever you feel like.  maybe that's just me, though.

I don't think anyone's going to WT8, but if someone is planning on it... probably just Choco.

Offline Lokanas

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • MEGANEZOKUSEI, UNITE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: October 10, 2007, 06:59:56 PM »
Going to Scottsdale to check out my school tomorrow, so I may stay an extra day, if it's cool with Brian. But yes, many matches to be had this weekend...maybe I'll bring something to cook as well.  :V

Offline Mailorder

• Spellcaster
  • sup
    • View Profile
    • MySpace - Add Me!
« Reply #297 on: October 11, 2007, 09:44:10 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, friday night is still happening - but saturday's gonna closed so Dan and Brian can relax in peace.  although I think Brian's going to the monthly melee tournament @ atomic comics w/ Joe on Saturday.  poo to smash!

Offline Greyvangelist

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 8
  • drive bitch im in my zone
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: October 12, 2007, 06:55:37 AM »
Well, I'm coming tonight anyway :V
I was going to come yesterday since I thought Will was coming, but I called Choco and I think he said he had to go to work or something. I couldn't hear him since I was on a shitty cellphone in Golfland, he probably hates talking on the phone with me  :blah:

And Quinn, Will and Dave better be there!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 06:58:29 AM by Grey-Van »

Offline Q Chu

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #299 on: October 12, 2007, 09:29:46 PM »
AZ now stands for ARCANA ZONE