When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Texas community? lawl, wut?  (Read 136074 times)

Offline Greg

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 25
    • View Profile
Re: Texas community? lawl, wut?
« Reply #175 on: October 01, 2011, 08:40:29 AM »
Who did they sell it to? Did they send it back to glorious 日本?
It makes me sick to think I was fucking a woman who was having sex with an alligator.

Offline ehrik

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 144
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 01, 2011, 09:01:40 AM »
Greg it was sold to Family Fun Arcade in Cali
<Graven> When you are Ciel, don't try to win, don't even try to do anything. The more you do, the stupider and bigger faggot you become because you're using Ciel.
<WyvernLord> roku is faking his disappearance so melty bread can come out and try to convince him of his value to the community

Offline fubarduck

• Apprentice
  • Magic Circuits: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 01, 2011, 12:13:08 PM »
Yo,

Someone on Twitter directed me this thread to ask for my input.

Long story short, yes, we sold MBAA:CC to FFA in Cali because nobody here was playing it. We were the only arcade in the USA to import it and we lost over $1,000 on the purchase [i.e. (price we paid) - (the amount it was played + the amount we sold it for) was over $1,000].

Some people seem to be saying if we had more events, it would've been different/gotten more support/whatever.

First of all, events do not cause a game at the arcade to profit. They are simply there to support the community, since a popular game will always make more via pay per play. Games make money on the arcade by getting played on a regular basis, which MBAA:CC definitely did not get that. MBAA:CC and MBAA were the two least profitable fighting games we ever imported, which is unfortunate, since I made the purchase mainly as a fan of the series.

So, even if we advertised a big Melty tournament every month and got 10 people playing it all day, it still wouldn't have been enough to make the game worth keeping in the arcade based on how many locals/regulars played. Furthermore, when only 2 or 3 people per week max are showing up to play the game, what's the point in holding a tournament for it?

I played the game with everybody that came in and asked me to play, but I was at a much higher level than any of the people that came in, and nobody ever reached that level even though I never really studied the game.

Finally, the Austin/Texas thread hadn't had posts in over 2 or 3 months every time I looked at it. The Texas thread was all people from other cities posting. Melty players all knew we had the game, and I did post in the appropriate forums. I simply reached the conclusion that Austin did not have a scene for the game, and that I couldn't carry the weight of it on my own shoulders (nor bear the financial burden) and decided I had to sell. Judging from what I see here, I don't really think that's changed much.

We do still have the old version of MBAA v2 on Naomi, which is now outdated even by the current PS2 version IIRC. If you guys pick a day to come and let me know, I can always throw it in.

Still hope I can find some way to support the game in the future, but it's way more likely that we'll be able to get a stronger scene for P4U or Under Night In-birth.

Offline TheMaster_Rahl

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 41
  • NC Texas Tim
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 01, 2011, 12:57:43 PM »
Thanks for posting that Fubarduck. I understand. In hind sight, I wish I would have done more to contact your arcade about tourneys. But back then I was so ignorant of the Melty community that I though: "I'm just some random player. What the hell can I do?" I really wish that I could have afforded to come out whenever I felt like it, and play whoever happened to be there, but I honestly thought that my support would be better spent going to tourneys hosted by UFO. But I totally agree that the Melty scene in Texas is damn near non-existent, and is non-existent in Austin.

I will discuss this no further, unless I get randomly insulted by blanket statements again.

-TexasTim-
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 01:04:56 PM by TheMaster_Rahl »

Offline Skwuck

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • A New World Order
« Reply #179 on: October 01, 2011, 02:33:02 PM »
Lol I feel like I was the only one who really played Melty frequently there when it was there. I could be wrong though. I feel like I'm the only player in Austin though (at least, who checks here..), and I kinda had the same mindset; "I'm just a random player, what could I do?" Oh well. If anything I'll see what I can do about getting up to one of you guys' meetups sometime, somehow...
Current Main: H-Sion
Alt: H-Kohaku
Planning on switching to H/C-Kohaku soon.

Offline Dipstick

• Poverty Emeritus
  • Melty Waffle
  • Magic Circuits: 61
  • cascade of unrepentant doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: October 01, 2011, 03:02:34 PM »
Thanks for fubarduck for that history lesson. Group dynamics can be weird; games won't take off in certain regions for no real discernible reason. Stuff happens.

There's also been some stupid trolling going back and forth in this thread prior to this; please stop being stupid before I start handing out warnings.

There were no Meltyblood CC tournies at UFO the entire time they had it, and the 2 times I went there nobody played it except fubarduck
I played the game with everybody that came in and asked me to play, but I was at a much higher level than any of the people that came in, and nobody ever reached that level even though I never really studied the game.

Pfhor on blast?!?!?!?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 03:04:59 PM by Dipstick »
Worst Nanaya and second worst Ryougi player in the USA

それがわたしのスタンダード!

Offline CPhame

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 5
  • 二次元の世界へ
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 01, 2011, 05:13:54 PM »
Denton does Melty meet ups pretty consistently every weekend right?  When's the next hookup?  I'll come out there by myself if I have to.  I'll even pick you up Skwuck, if you help chip in for gas.
digitalpugilist.com

Offline Joindate:2012

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 01, 2011, 07:42:36 PM »

fubar pretty much posted what i said in the beginning but no one is going in on him?  :psyduck:

i just hope TX doesnt take future titles that it gets for granted and ppl actually step up and support shit
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 08:12:06 PM by Joindate:2012 »

Offline Rokunaya

• Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 16
  • Keepin' it alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 01, 2011, 07:55:24 PM »

fubar pretty much posted what i said in the beginning but no one is going in on him?  :psyduck:

"RADDA RADDA DICK DICK YELL YELL"

as opposed to...

"Well you see, this is why... yatta yatta blah blah"

...Pretty obvious to me why, bro. Pretty obvious to me.
clmelty: great roku! lol / I like roku lol
clmelty: I want to make CL like roku team
clmelty: Roku is best popular player in the meltyworld

Offline Komidol

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 57
  • わが名は征服王コミドール!、この大会のたびにおいては、フル琥珀のクラスを得てげんかいした!
    • View Profile
    • The Kingdom of Biscotti
« Reply #184 on: October 02, 2011, 07:37:34 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zjpn7ZPhXEw

LPT needs to be giving lesson in common courtesy to our new members.   :teach:
GenericSuperHero: komidol's not a nerd, he's a visionary
AnFox: H-mech IS a character.
Exciel: It's 2011, use whoever the hell you want already. Fuck haters and relish the salty tears that drip from their skulls as you stand victorious.

Offline Light

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 2
  • KenjiX
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 02, 2011, 10:26:55 AM »

i just hope TX doesnt take future titles that it gets for granted and ppl actually step up and support shit

If you said this at the beginning, it would have been a lot better than just blaming a whole scene for CC bombing at UFO. The game failing isn't anyone's fault. The Austin scene just wasn't interested in the game. Mad respect giving to Fubarduck for trying to support the game at his own risk.

I understand your point on embracing the new and different titles that your arcade might get, but in my experience it seems to come down to what dipstick said. I can remember countless games, many of which were new that hardly anyone would play at the arcades I use to frequent in Canada, simply because they weren't KOF or Tekken. After MBAC failed over there, I realized that trend and gave up on trying to befriend and network players I met in the arcades, because it was clear at the time nobody cared about games that weren't of the trend. In the end, it's the players and the scene that decide what gets played.
♪ Fairy Tale Transparently ♪
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SKjB_mk_so

Offline Skwuck

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • A New World Order
« Reply #186 on: October 02, 2011, 04:31:07 PM »
Denton does Melty meet ups pretty consistently every weekend right?  When's the next hookup?  I'll come out there by myself if I have to.  I'll even pick you up Skwuck, if you help chip in for gas.

I'd happily chip in for gas if you picked me up for this, so long as it's not too much trouble. If you're willing to, I'd be really grateful. :3

Offline TheMaster_Rahl

• Spellcaster
  • NC Texas Tim
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 02, 2011, 04:35:08 PM »
Because I believe my silence implies agreement, I will post one last thing on this asinine topic.

If you said this at the beginning, it would have been a lot better than just blaming a whole scene for CC bombing at UFO. The Austin scene just wasn't interested in the game.

This.

Nope. You said Texas, he said Austin. You say Texas again here. You should say Austin.
Quite generalizing with blanket statements that insult people. That is why I 'went in'.
I merely stated what would get me (and I think most other Texas players not in Austin) to come out is tourneys. Everyone else not in Austin simply can't afford to come out enough to support UFO the way they need.
You literally do not know, or do not care about, the difference between Austin and Texas. Therefore you do not know what you are talking about. Or if you do know and don't care, then you should not be taken seriously.
What you said in the beginning is the logical equivalent to:
'The US did not come support MBCC at UFO, shame on you USA.' I hope this is enough to demonstrate to you that what you said makes no sense.
Now, I hope that clears up our misunderstanding. I believe this is the crux of our disagreement. Fubar's post should leave you with no doubt.
I am not writing this to try and be insulting. Only to show you why I disagree with you. If you are not convinced after this, we can simply agree to disagree and leave it at that.

Now I can get back to what this thread is meant to be used for: Jointdate:2012, if you ever find yourself in DFW and want to play MB, plz come play with us. We would love to play more people.

I'll get the info about our next meet-up by tomorrow and post it for you. I can tell you that you and Skwuck have a place to sleep if you don't want to drive back the same day. I'll pay for your food so don't worry about that.

There were no Meltyblood CC tournies at UFO the entire time they had it, and the 2 times I went there nobody played it except fubarduck

Pfhor on blast?!?!?!?

Exactly what I thought when I read it too. :laffo:

-TexasTim-

Offline TheMaster_Rahl

• Spellcaster
  • NC Texas Tim
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 02, 2011, 06:21:22 PM »
Okay, CPhame and Skuwak:
Looks like the best weekend for you to come would be Oct 14th-16th.
Basically, Saturday, Oct 15th is the day we should play. I think I can get the most players in our area to show up then.
So you can drive up Saturday in the morning/afternoon. I would not mind housing you both for Friday night and Sat. night, but Saturday after about 3pm is when I can prolly get the most players here for you guys to play. Let me know if that weekend works for you.

This next weekend's meet-up (Oct 7th-9th) will prolly be on Sunday (or Friday, not sure yet). So if you came then, we would play on Sunday at about 3pm and you guys would have to leave that night (or Friday at 3pm and you guys would have to leave early on Friday to get here on time). That's why it might be better to come the weekend after next.

DrgnAK, Qpunch and Cookie: If you can make it up to Denton on Saturday, Oct 15th, and CPhame and Skuwak can make it up here, then it will prolly be worth it to come up. Come if you can.
I will personally go out of my way to provide transportation if that is the thing stopping you from coming.

-TexasTim-

Offline CPhame

• Spellcaster
  • 二次元の世界へ
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 03, 2011, 08:05:00 AM »
Awesome, sounds great.  I'll swing by on Friday to pick up Skwuck, and continue on in to Denton for the weekend.  I'll see about asking other Houston players if they're interested.  The more the merrier!
digitalpugilist.com

Offline cookie`

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 0
  • YOITHINK OF ANIMEEEEEEE
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 03, 2011, 09:32:49 AM »
shouldn't be a problem for me transportation-wise. I'll see you guys on the 15th (and possibly this weekend as well)

Offline TheMaster_Rahl

• Spellcaster
  • NC Texas Tim
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 03, 2011, 01:40:32 PM »
Awesome, sounds great.  I'll swing by on Friday to pick up Skwuck, and continue on in to Denton for the weekend.  I'll see about asking other Houston players if they're interested.  The more the merrier!
Feel free to bring more people, but be warned. I don't have room in my apartment for more than 2. There may me more room available, but I have not asked any of the other local players if they can room someone.
One spot is a couch and the other is a bed. If you bring more people just give me a heads up. I'm sure we can arrange housing for you guys.

-TexasTim-

Offline TheMaster_Rahl

• Spellcaster
  • NC Texas Tim
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 06, 2011, 07:35:24 PM »
This weekend's meet up will be on Sunday, Oct. the 9th @ 3pm in Denton.
Sunday, Sunday, Sunday! Melty Truck Monster Madness. Featuring Warc-zilla. Be There. :V

-TexasTim-

Offline Qpunch

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • QQQQETHBETHGNRDAW%R
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 09, 2011, 08:29:27 AM »
Hey do any of you guys play white len?
C Aoko, C Wara, C Sacchin

Offline CPhame

• Spellcaster
  • 二次元の世界へ
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 10, 2011, 01:32:38 PM »
@Qpunch I don't know anything about White Len  :nyoro:

And, I hate to do this but I started a new job this week.  They gave me Saturday off, but I have to work Friday until 1am and the following Sunday at 12pm.  What this means is that I would either have to get up super early to drive out to Austin and pick up Skwuck on Saturday and leave the same night, or leave right after work on Fryda (which is around 1am) and then drive off to Austin / Denton and leave again Saturday night.  I don't know how that will work out, but it's definitely going to be a lot of driving.  I probably won't be able to stay Saturday night like I had hoped.

So...I'm going to have to reschedule to get a full weekend off.  If the idea above works for you Skwuck, let me know.  If you're willing (and Texas Tim is willing) I'll go that route -- otherwise, I'll probably have to cancel until a later date.

Which sucks, because I just started practicing Melty again for this weekend.  :(
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 01:34:56 PM by CPhame »
digitalpugilist.com

Offline TheMaster_Rahl

• Spellcaster
  • NC Texas Tim
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: October 10, 2011, 06:39:34 PM »
Hey do any of you guys play white len?

Oldboy plays C-WLen.

And, I hate to do this but I started a new job this week.  They gave me Saturday off, but I have to work Friday until 1am and the following Sunday at 12pm.  What this means is that I would either have to get up super early to drive out to Austin and pick up Skwuck on Saturday and leave the same night, or leave right after work on Fryda (which is around 1am) and then drive off to Austin / Denton and leave again Saturday night.  I don't know how that will work out, but it's definitely going to be a lot of driving.  I probably won't be able to stay Saturday night like I had hoped.

So...I'm going to have to reschedule to get a full weekend off.  If the idea above works for you Skwuck, let me know.  If you're willing (and Texas Tim is willing) I'll go that route -- otherwise, I'll probably have to cancel until a later date.

Which sucks, because I just started practicing Melty again for this weekend.  :(

You mean 1am Friday morning/Thursday night correct (ie. 0100 hours Friday), and not 1am Friday night/Saturday morning (ie.0100 hours Saturday).

If you mean 1am Friday morning/Thursday night, then it's up to you guys weather you think it's worth it to come.
It'd be best if you could come Friday night or Saturday morning.
Then Melty Saturday afternoon until evening.
Then wake-up and drive back Sunday morning/afternoon.
But if you have to be back at work by noon Sunday, then you'd have to leave some time Saturday night.
We could just start earlier than 3pm on Saturday so that you guys could leave at a better time and still get a good amount of play in.

If you mean 1am Saturday morning/Friday night, then you should not come. That'd be too much driving and not enough time for sleep.
We can reschedule for another weekend.

-TexasTim-

Offline Skwuck

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
    • A New World Order
« Reply #196 on: October 11, 2011, 03:07:48 PM »

That sounds... kind of not worth it... x: I mean, I suppose I'm willing, but that's a LOT of driving for one day. If you really want to though, let me know and we can try to work out the details. I think you might be able crash Saturday night maybe, if it makes things on the way back any easier. I don't mind waiting for another weekend if you'd rather wait though (or heck, if you can go without me, that's fine too; it would suck to hold you back just because I'm too far away in addition to your work stuff D: ).

Offline CPhame

• Spellcaster
  • 二次元の世界へ
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 11, 2011, 05:12:25 PM »
Yeah, it'd be torture since I would essentially going without sleep on Saturday night, which cuts into game time.  I'll stay home this weekend and try to plan for another one. 

I'm really sorry about this guys.
digitalpugilist.com

Offline TheMaster_Rahl

• Spellcaster
  • NC Texas Tim
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 11, 2011, 06:33:15 PM »
No problem. I'll let you know what weekend would be best.

Offline oldboy

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 13, 2011, 04:43:44 PM »
So no Houston/Austin players this weekend?  :gonk:

I think some of the Dallas Blaz guys are getting hype for Melty. Maybe when the new game comes out.

Is the meetup on Sunday?