hentai
When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Riesbyfe Style Dissection  (Read 7278 times)

Offline Curbeh

• MD/VA Barbarian Horde
  • Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 259
  • Irresistible
    • View Profile
Riesbyfe Style Dissection
« on: December 18, 2009, 03:38:44 PM »
So you want to play Ries, but you don't don't know which one you want or what the strengths are between them all. Hopefully I can enlighten you a bit.

Generally when you talk about Ries' groove, you usually separate them in to C/H and F. Crescent and Half are very similar in many ways and are worth comparing. Full moon is quite different from the two and is better to contrast from the other two styles.

First off, Ries in general is a character that is supposed to play the ground. With a gauntlet of ground moves that are long reaching and or move her forward quite a bit, she can take most near ground footsies in her favor.

Taking that into consideration. Let's talk about C-Groove. Probably the least played Ries as it does not have: H/F JB, H/F 5B. However this is excusable as C is supposed to be play in a more defensive manner. With an air DP, guard cancel and superior 214B, she takes the ground game in a more reserved manner and is suitable for people that might want to play the clock or turtle with Ries while preserving MBAC style chaining and reverse beats.

H-Groove is more of a the middle ground of the two styles with Full style JB and 5B, as well as MBAC style chaining and reverse beats and Crescent style specials. Half is a style that is supposed to be played extremely aggressively with fully active 624s and combos that can move the opponent into the corner where H-Ries can fully play her strengths (oppressive blockstrings). Her combos are high damage but her zoning is probably the most difficult our of the three. Her long reaching moves often move her hitbox in places that you don't want them and they have slower start up that C-Groove moves.

Though Ries is a character that plays the ground C and H moon only have the somewhat risky 236A as an anti air. Questions have been raised towards its properties. Ries' 236A (and B) has 2 versions. A charge version and a non charge version. The non charge version comes out at frame 15-17 but it does not have a guard point to assist in any anti air attempts no to mention being completely punishable on block. The charge version is what C/H would use as an anti air can comes the hitbox comes out at frame 49-51 and has a guard point. I estimate this guard point to be from about frame ~46 to ~50. This guard point will block most mid/high moves and is relatively effective with a degree of reading ahead. 236B is similarity in properties but comes out a few frames later (is slower) but has NO guard point

Generally, when I use the move, I try to aim the end of the active frames of the charge (when the guard point is out) towards when I think you would try to air zone into me. You do the rest by trying to challenge the move or zoning with a JC (or other long active frame move) or so.

Full moon is a relatively... completely different from C/H and is what you normally see if you look for videos on Ries, there is a good reason for that. F-moon has the long reaching Ries normals as well as a different 236 series, pilebunker, solving many problems of the other two Ries'. First off F-Ries is able to send opponents into the corner/opposite side of the screen for an untechable down without sacrificing much damage. This give her time to setup a meaty from almost anywhere on the screen; with that F-Ries can select to take a good okizeme attempt or charge and camp her meter. F-Ries can sit on her meter and play a more defensive style her meter almost effortlessly the addition of a good anti air, 2B. This makes many midair zoning attempts on F-Ries almost useless; she hard use it for a counter hit and pick it up for damage, or if it clashes you can cancel into DP to hit them anyway. This isn't to say that she doesn't have damaging midscreen combos, and her corner and IH combos are even better. When she does have the opponent in the corner she can stack heavy and varied pressure with out having to to pile reverse beats on. In a way, you can say that F-Ries is a combination of the other two styles and is the better Ries since you can play "Ries' strengths" the best with Full moon.

That's not to say that C/H have no merit, however they will require more work for less pay.

tl;dr:

F moon plays Ries strengths the best and is generally easy to move
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 08:58:30 AM by Curbeh »
They can't get enough of me

Offline COD3player

• Camouflaged Curry
  • Magic Circuits: 51
  • H.A.T.R.
    • View Profile
Re: Riesbyfe Style Dissection
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 10:33:41 AM »
I wouldn't necessarily say that F is the absolute best style for Ries but it IS very popular and for good reasons. I can play both styles but I'd say that H is my style of choice for Ries and that in the long run, the quirks from H can even out with F and here's why I think so:

- H's damage is DISGUSTING without meter. For the most part, F's combos without IH usually range from about 3.5K-4K and that's if you have 100%. With H, if you land a good j.B or j.C and if they're approaching the corner, BOOM! 4.5K-5.K+

- H does not have the ridiculous 2B from F, but it does have a better DP. H's DP, while not particularly damaging, can definitely get you out of a tight spot if things get too rough and you use it wisely. H's DP goes through a lot of attacks and usually only trades when there are really meaty disjoint hitboxes on the screen. 623A/B in F get stuffed all day long when used as a reversal.

- H's pressure is more flexible (imo) because you have reverse beats and your air normals can be canceled with an air dash. 236A is a really good anti-jump against cornered opponents and you can make it safe with 63214C if they stay put. Reverse beats don't seem to hurt her damage all that much either.

- 214C overhead, while not very damaging, is VERY deceptive and relatively quick at the same time.

- Having a run allows you to cover more ground with ease.

- H's shield bunker is another defensive option. This is moreso to do with H's mechanics than Ries's moveset.

So in the end, I'd say H and F styles are both equally viable. But it's pretty clear that H is definitely a more offense-oriented sytle while F allows you to play both a strong offensive (free knockdowns wherever on the screen) and defensive game (thanks to F's meter charge). So I understand why F tends to be the most popular style but I believe that H is equally effective when played correctly.

<--- "the irony of being one of the least anime people in the anime FGC" - bell

Offline Curbeh

• MD/VA Barbarian Horde
  • Magus Candidate
  • Irresistible
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 05:11:10 PM »
I wouldn't word it (nor did) "absolute best," but I do really believe that F plays the most "Ries" and works the better functionality wise. (I do main H-Ries after all)

:: H damage is good, but her air throw gives her this kind of pseudo-meaty only in the corner and you get absolutely nothing midscreen unless you sacrifice a loot of damage. However any good H-Ries would know combo ranges and when you can migrate to the corner during a combo for max damage and positioning.

:: Yeah, if H had that 2B, Jesus. But we do have a good DP multipurpose. F DP isn't very good, but they do that an excellent reversal option, 236C instead. Not much of problem using it since you can charge.

:: I think it depends on who you ask from pressure. I think people that might be newer to the game, or just like F moon better in general would favor F pressure. BE236B is actually better for corner pressure because it hits low, is STILL air unblockable and is a bit slower than BE236A so it tends to catch jumps. 624C cancel is reliable but that's 100 meter down, something I'd like to use for damage or 236C/AD when I hit max.

:: F has this and you can cancel it to 236C/AAD. H's allows her to run mixups though, that's why I like it better, you don't need to rely on meter to make using it worth it.

:: Run is godlike, and lets you play the ground well, but the way F plays, its like she doesn't need it. And the way you can use it works for her.

:: Bunker is gdlk, yes.

Both styles work, but there is a reason why H/C is C tier and F is B. I like my H Ries over my F but there are times were I need to use F (only for like 2 match-ups/player personas though). Generally, F is free compared to H, but H has somethings that if you can bring them to life, work extremely well and is why I main H.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 09:03:45 PM by Curbeh »

Offline Chaser

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 3
  • Kyuu Kyuu Kyuu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 02:16:01 PM »
I agree with Curbeh here on every point.

I'm really glad F doesn't have a run, the hop is a good mindgame because it looks a lot like her 6C.
F just does the damage it needs without the work that C and H require. C and H take a good bit more work for newer players and anyone picking her up.

I do disagree on one point, I believe her DP in it's B form has it's uses along with the EX form. I would go far enough to say that her vertical range on her DP is PRETTY good, I'm not really sure about comparing it with others, but it goes the distance. It can also be used as a mixup to throw people off Mid match, something like 2a 5b 2c ex DP, it can also be used for a tech punish in the air. Overall, I'd say C and H DP > F DP, again I'm not really sure on the hit box difference.
That boot, that boot, that boot...
Mains: F-ries, H-aoko

Offline Curbeh

• MD/VA Barbarian Horde
  • Magus Candidate
  • Irresistible
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 09:48:18 PM »
I didn't say that it doesn't have uses... it is a DP after all. However, it is not very good at being a DP. 623B does have invincibility on frame one, but the hit box comes out with your own at this really odd and late time, meaning that you can get countered high in the air during it.It would not be that bad if it was like Tohno DP (you are still counted as grounded most of the time, so even if you CH'd you can pick it up for a combo), but it isn't, making all sorts of not so nice trades. 623C seems kind of like a waste of meter since you have 236C (better damage, oki, corner switch). You can't IH any of the DPs if I recall correctly either...

In terms of range its "OK," but again, you DP comes out in at that height so I wouldn't rely on it for air tech punishes, especially since you have 2B.

Ehh, I really wouldn't depend on this move as it is not that reliable for what it is intended for... maybe it will get changes in FT.

Offline Chaser

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 3
  • Kyuu Kyuu Kyuu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 06:25:03 PM »
In terms of range its "OK," but again, you DP comes out in at that height so I wouldn't rely on it for air tech punishes, especially since you have 2B.

Ehh, I really wouldn't depend on this move as it is not that reliable for what it is intended for... maybe it will get changes in FT.

After some testing this weekend at Kirah's house I am inclined to agree with Curbeh here, there are times when the DP flat out misses certain character hit boxes it was happening a lot to ryougi - nanaya - v sion ,over all I second do not depend on the move. Generally, just be careful with it if you are in love with DP for F ries use it after 2B.  ;D
That boot, that boot, that boot...
Mains: F-ries, H-aoko

Offline meinkampfychair

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 10:13:53 PM »
so to me it seems like C/H-ries is baiken and F-ries is potemkin.  looks like im officially going to learn ries first then heh

Offline Tempered

• America is free to Satsuki
  • Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 22
  • fullscreen j.[c] mixup
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 10:37:14 PM »
so to me it seems like C/H-ries is baiken and F-ries is potemkin.  looks like im officially going to learn ries first then heh

Youre going to be a bit dissapointed. C=H Reis plays more like an Anji. But that only because she has a special with a guard point. F-Reis is more like sagat without a fireball.
During Loser's Finals at NECX:

<Crowd at Jiyuna about to Lose> Na na na naaaa, na na na naaaa, hey hey hey, Goodbyeeee~

Offline meinkampfychair

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 11:00:41 PM »

Youre going to be a bit dissapointed. C=H Reis plays more like an Anji. But that only because she has a special with a guard point. F-Reis is more like sagat without a fireball.

i see.

i did a little playing around with F-Ries vs cpu and i do like it a bit but youre right on that one.  and i always hated anji

i guess ill just pick somebody who looks cool and start fresh without comparing it to other games.  theres no potemkins or hakumens in melty blood apparently lol

Offline COD3player

• Camouflaged Curry
  • Magic Circuits: 51
  • H.A.T.R.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 11:02:01 PM »
Ries = Captain America

:V
<--- "the irony of being one of the least anime people in the anime FGC" - bell