hentai
When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: C-Ryougi Thoughts Without a Thread  (Read 78615 times)

Offline LivingShadow

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 55
  • Sanity is overrated
    • View Profile
Re: C-Ryougi Thoughts Without a Thread
« Reply #125 on: April 03, 2010, 01:05:56 PM »
Now that I think of it I don't think they were out of blockstun until after 421c connected. The EX flash makes it look like it takes more frames than it actually does.

I've been testing the string 2b5bb5c2c421c j.c (They get out of blockstun about here) into whatever blockstring. If they miss the block on 421c go into that combo I mentioned earlier.

I don't know about that crossup though, 421c does have a vaccum effect on block. The way it looks I think it would only work on short characters.

Offline FataCon

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 03, 2010, 06:41:12 PM »
Regarding blockstrings, would it be bad to use whatever blockstring > 236A 236A 214A > 22C > repeat blockstring? Is it interruptable by 2A mashing or can it be shielded midway through? I've gotten used to implementing it, and I'd hate to form a bad habit if it's not technically viable at higher levels of play. Testing sucks when you need another active player around. Dummy doesn't help much.  :(

Thanks for all the help and tips you guys have dished out so far. Good stuff. Trying to break out of my old Miyako ways...

Offline LivingShadow

• Magus
  • Sanity is overrated
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 04, 2010, 03:58:18 AM »
It doesn't look too bad but I don't recommend it. I don't think dropping the knife is worth it in that situation.

Offline Rei

• America's Worst Ryougi
  • Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 309
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 04, 2010, 08:54:48 AM »
Regarding blockstrings, would it be bad to use whatever blockstring > 236A 236A 214A > 22C > repeat blockstring? Is it interruptable by 2A mashing or can it be shielded midway through? I've gotten used to implementing it, and I'd hate to form a bad habit if it's not technically viable at higher levels of play. Testing sucks when you need another active player around. Dummy doesn't help much.  :(

Thanks for all the help and tips you guys have dished out so far. Good stuff. Trying to break out of my old Miyako ways...

Actually, I do this. And the training mode is pretty good. You can tell it to do recover A as the action, and the dummy will do A (5a if standing, 2a if crouching) after blockstun is over.

Usually a blockstring like that would involve 2A 5BB 2B 5C 2C 6C 236A 236A 214C 22C then I usually go into d.2A repeat, or if I know I'm a little slow, d.5BB so I keep some distance and can't get poked or dp'd. There's also the grab option.

I think using the knife in this situation is great. And if the enemy blocks the whole thing and they're in the corner (and you threw you knife while they were there) then ending with 236B 236B 236B will leave you on top of your knife.

I support using your knife for pressure strings than to add like 200-500 damage to your combo
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 08:56:37 AM by Rei »
<@sibladeko> lack of close buttons is poverty
<@sibladeko> means the police can't use secret elevator codes to save us
<Darcius> poor people not worth savin
<@SilentShinobi> the double down is the black man's lethal kryptonite

Offline FataCon

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 04, 2010, 09:17:42 AM »
Thanks Rei! I also use 236B to end blockstrings in the corner to grab the knife, but is it punishable by far reaching normals? Or does it leave you +?

Also, has anyone really gone over Ryougi's character matchups? Since she's a new character to the series, and since I didn't play much of MBAC (most of my experience comes from ReAct), I'm curious as to how her game changes vs specific/commonly used characters like Shiki and VSion. I'm guessing this would be better suited to it's own thread? Just throwing it out there, guys. :D

Offline Shlowpoke

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 9
  • omgomgomgomg
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 04, 2010, 10:30:20 AM »
Usually a blockstring like that would involve 2A 5BB 2B 5C 2C 6C 236A 236A 214C 22C then I usually go into d.2A repeat, or if I know I'm a little slow, d.5BB so I keep some distance and can't get poked or dp'd. There's also the grab option.

This is part of a really easy guardcrush string against H-Moon that I've been meaning to post.

If you're in MAX and have them in the corner:
2a, 5bb, 2b, 5c, 2c, 6c, 236b, 236b, 214b, 22c, 5b, 2b, 5c, 63214c, 5c5c5c5c... etc. until guard crush.

If you do it right you'll activate 63214c right before MAX runs out and get to keep your meter. The only place in the string where they can try to shield/dodge/dp is right after 22c. And they could bunker too, of course.

I support using your knife for pressure strings than to add like 200-500 damage to your combo

I think that if you're midscreen, using the knife in combos is the only way to get better-than-average damage, except for using 63214c, which is really hard midscreen.

This is a really easy midscreen combo that does 5.1k to V.Sion for knife and 100% meter.
2a, 5bb, 2b, 5c, 2c, 22c, 2c, 5c, 5bb, j.bc, dj.bc, j.236b

Compare that to the normal ground string, 2c, 6c, j.bc, airdash j.c, dj.bc, j.236b combo, which does 4.3k to V.Sion.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 12:48:41 PM by Shlowpoke »

Offline FataCon

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 04, 2010, 11:38:46 PM »
This is a really easy midscreen combo that does 5.1k to V.Sion for knife and 100% meter.
2a, 5bb, 2b, 5c, 2c, 22c, 2c, 5c, 5bb, j.bc, dj.bc, j.236b

Is there a reason for people using 5BB, 2B, 5C, 2C over 5BB, 5C, 2B, 2C? I find myself using the latter habitually, just found myself a bit curious as it does a tiny bit more, albeit negligible, damage.

Two noticeably useless things I found that i didn't see in any threads or on the MBAA wiki:

1) If the opponent is knocked off their feet (using 2C as an example), following up with the rekka chain (236) using A, the 3rd input is reversed: 236A/B/C does 214A/B/C and vice versa.

Seems pretty useless since most people 22C or 6C into combo after a 2C, but it's interesting to note regardless (maybe good if you want to force oki/techtrap midscreen?).

Note that this only works outside of the corner. When done in a corner, inputs are as usual. Also, this only happens if the first two inputs of the rekka chain are done with 236A. Tested on Sion.

2) If you cross under an opponent with 63214C (whether from the opponent's jump or a wallslam), the screen will stay black as if the EX was still active. If done from a wallslam in the corner, the effect is less consistent, though if you jump over the opponent after the run has ended, the darkened effect tends to stay active. I haven't noticed any affects on gameplay as far as damage or guard break capabilities, so I'm assuming it's purely cosmetic. Figured it was interesting enough to share anyway.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 11:49:15 PM by FataCon »

Offline s4itox

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 4
  • So who was phone?
    • View Profile
    • deeeeeeeeeeeeebiant art
« Reply #132 on: April 05, 2010, 08:09:03 AM »
Quote from: FataCon
1) If the opponent is knocked off their feet (using 2C as an example), following up with the rekka chain (236) using A, the 3rd input is reversed: 236A/B/C does 214A/B/C and vice versa.

Seems pretty useless since most people 22C or 6C into combo after a 2C, but it's interesting to note regardless (maybe good if you want to force oki/techtrap midscreen?).

Not consistently. It mostly depends on your distance from the opponent when you start into the rekka; if you're a reasonable distance, it stays 236 236 236, but at a certain point close to the enemy (or perhaps, even against wall) it turns into 236 236 214. This is also applicable to all moon-styles. I generally combo into 6C or tk 236B for C-Ryougi, and 22A or 6AAA for H-Ryougi.

Offline Rei

• America's Worst Ryougi
  • Magus
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 05, 2010, 08:29:25 AM »
No, you never have to reverse the last rekka in the corner. You don't force yourself behind them.

I tend to use the rekkas in my blockstring which if I hit them with 2C I know midscreen that I should reverse the last rekka (though I use the A series for the oki in this case). I suck at hit confirming anything in the middle of my blockstrings. But i have a few tricks.

Offline Shlowpoke

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • omgomgomgomg
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 03, 2010, 08:05:47 PM »
Could somebody with framedisplay post the hitboxes for C-Ryougi's 5b next to H-Ryougi's 5b? I'd like to see if there's a difference.

Offline Rei

• America's Worst Ryougi
  • Magus
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 03, 2010, 10:12:11 PM »
Could somebody with framedisplay post the hitboxes for C-Ryougi's 5b next to H-Ryougi's 5b? I'd like to see if there's a difference.

They are exactly the same. Clash frames, speed, everything. I overlayed the H Ryougi 5B over the C Ryougi one. Everything matches up pixel perfect.

Offline Rei

• America's Worst Ryougi
  • Magus
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 25, 2010, 08:02:38 PM »
New Advanced BnB for C-Ryougi. Midscreen only

2A 5BB 2B 5C 2C 6C 22B 2A 2C 623B 2C (delay) 6C j.BC airdash j.C dj.BC 236B. Land on your knife and pick up. 4590 vs VSion. The normal 2A 5BB 2B 5C 2C 6C j.BC airdash j.C dj.BC 236B does 4310. Meter gain is also 146.8 vs 98 meter. Adding a 236C at the end only nets 38 more damage and and you gain 115 less meter, so no point in using an EX ender.

But yeah, you do 280 more damage and gain 48.8 more meter for quite a bit of effort though. If you can do it, then do it. The only hard part of the combo (for me that is) is the airdash j.C because the timing is tight, but without the airdash; you do not land on your knife.

I know the whole argument of difficulty vs damage in a combo is, but I believe if you can do the harder one with a better reward, then do it.

This combo is actually based off something I saw in a video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6bjJmKJ1Fk) which this is midscreen combo into a fancy custom combo (8 D 8 6 8 6 8 4) But the timing to get two 623B is hard.

Going back to training mode for more goodies.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 10:26:42 PM by Paco-Paco »

Offline Shlowpoke

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • omgomgomgomg
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 26, 2010, 09:30:09 AM »

That's pretty sweet that it lines right up on the knife like that. That is definitely the combo I'd use if I was desperate for meter gain, but this one does a bit more damage and still gets you close to the knife:

2a, 5bb, 2b, 5c, 2c, 6c, 22b, 2a, 2c, 623b, 2c, 5c, 5bb, j.bc, sdj.abc, j.236b, dash forward a tiny bit and pick up the knife
(4,720 damage to V.Sion)
+126.3% meter

I find this one a bit easier and it still gives you a decent amount of meter.

Offline Rei

• America's Worst Ryougi
  • Magus
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 27, 2010, 01:37:35 PM »

That's pretty sweet that it lines right up on the knife like that. That is definitely the combo I'd use if I was desperate for meter gain, but this one does a bit more damage and still gets you close to the knife:

2a, 5bb, 2b, 5c, 2c, 6c, 22b, 2a, 2c, 623b, 2c, 5c, 5bb, j.bc, sdj.abc, j.236b, dash forward a tiny bit and pick up the knife
(4,720 damage to V.Sion)
+126.3% meter

I find this one a bit easier and it still gives you a decent amount of meter.

Yes, that one is definitely easier to do since you don't need to worry about the airdash.

Definitely using new Ryougi combos for that godlike meter gain + little more damage. Also, an easy way to delay the 6C is just to half charge it if you like pressing buttons all the time
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 01:40:03 PM by Paco-Paco »

Offline LivingShadow

• Magus
  • Sanity is overrated
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 29, 2010, 05:16:37 PM »
Posting here to avoid filling up Sholpoke's thread.

Regarding 6c->236c

Combo: 2b5bb5c6c->236c into whatever you feel like doing with the plus frames and knockdown. 3.4k and huge setup options.

The rest of this is probably completely useless. Feel free to disregard.

I was playing around with 6c otg and found something gimicky. Off of say... 623a hit a grounded opponent with 6c and a few things can happen:

• no followup, tech towards you, neutral, or no tech: ends as a crossup
  • no followup, tech away: no crossup
  • 236c followup, tech neutral: no crossup as the EX goes off but whiffs
  • 236c followup, tech towards you: crossup and  EX goes off but whiffs
  • 236c followup, tech away: no crossup, EX doesn't go off.
  • 236c followup, no tech: crossup and the EX goes off and hits. Which results in the same setup as any other 6c->236c.

Now, I doubt this is worth it at all. It looks like it could be some kind of mixup or tech punish but I doubt using the EX is worth it. At least the whiff doesn't seem to cause that many - frames.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 05:51:27 PM by LivingShadow »

Offline Rei

• America's Worst Ryougi
  • Magus
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 01, 2010, 02:56:16 AM »
Currently ripping and formatting all of the frame data for EVERY moon.

Starting with C then F then H (that's how it's listed in the mook)

So far nothing is too different than what I've seen except for a few things in the other moons.

22C is +8 on block... It's kinda gay though cause 22A for H is +9  :psyduck:

Offline LivingShadow

• Magus
  • Sanity is overrated
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 05, 2010, 09:15:58 AM »
Noticed you can do some weird tricks with that move if the opponent is near the corner when I found that blockstring. After 421c hits you can delay the cancel and do j.c to get a weird crossup since it drags them in. Maybe that was only for a short character like White Len though.

More info on this.

I just pulled it on Ries (epic looking crossup BTW) and I think it relies on spacing. I think it requires the opponent to be pulled into the corner and right underneath Ryougi for it to work. That positioning is only possible if you space it so that the 421c's crossup jump is cut short by the wall and the opponent is on edge of the slash's range.

Offline Rei

• America's Worst Ryougi
  • Magus
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 10, 2010, 08:06:16 PM »
All frame data for EVERY Ryougi translated.

I found out that C-Ryougi has a non-ex 22C

It's like 22B but the knife doesn't bounce far from the wall. Only useable under 100 heat obviously.

Still a worthless move  :V

Offline LivingShadow

• Magus
  • Sanity is overrated
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 11, 2010, 01:31:57 PM »
That's interesting.

I'm not noticing any differences in the ground version other than lack of chargability. The air version has about half the rebound distance.

Offline ShinMasaki

• Loremaster
  • Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 81
  • 真先生 demands attention
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 18, 2010, 06:36:39 PM »
5BB 2B 5C 2C 22C 2C 5BB jBC dj BC 236B (4975)

100% meter, knife throw, executable from anywhere on stage. If within 50% of the stage, your opponent will wallslam and you'll have to time your 2C correctly in order to continue the combo. If past 50% of the stage (wall), you need to time your second 2C or your opponent will fly out of range of your second 2C.
Common Sense?! In My Touhous?! WHAT IS THE MEANING OF THIS!!!

Offline LivingShadow

• Magus
  • Sanity is overrated
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 18, 2010, 08:31:25 PM »
That's what I use most of the time. You can sub out 5bb for 5c after the ex to skip the reverse beat but it doesn't effect the damage much.

Offline Rei

• America's Worst Ryougi
  • Magus
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 19, 2010, 12:47:07 AM »
IMO it's not worth the meter nor losing your knife to do the easy EX knife combo :/

Offline BurstOfAnger

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 13
  • Vatista's chest is 1 inch larger than Linne's
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 19, 2010, 02:00:42 AM »
IMO it's not worth the meter nor losing your knife to do the easy EX knife combo :/

Seconded. Ryougi has albeit slightly harder but more rewarding options.
Immortalize! 1st Clause! DIVIDE!

Waldstein is pronounced wa-REN-shu-tain. French Bread trollin'.

Offline capsuletoyco

• Apprentice
  • Magic Circuits: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 23, 2010, 09:50:51 PM »
sorry if this is a dumb question, but i'm super new to melty blood.
i'm having alot of trouble with the air dash jc in the middle of the bnb combo.
anytime i try she will just air dash and no jc or just go under the other character, i honestly have no idea of the timing, i've watched videos but nothing.
any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline ShinMasaki

• Loremaster
  • Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 81
  • 真先生 demands attention
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 23, 2010, 11:41:58 PM »
just keep at it. the timing for some moves is a bit difficult, but once you see yourself get it the first time, remember that feeling, the timing you used to hit it and just keep practicing it. Me? I don't use the dash jC connector...i find it flashy and not guaranteed, so I just continue with jbc djbc 623b every time.
Common Sense?! In My Touhous?! WHAT IS THE MEANING OF THIS!!!