When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: 2008 Melty Cup - US Championships  (Read 118449 times)

Offline S-Blade

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 9
  • melty blade player
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 Melty Cup - US Championships
« Reply #225 on: May 30, 2008, 02:05:40 PM »
I'm for allowing multiple characters. Top tier exclusivity? This is Melty Blood, remember? Not Marvel or 3s. While a Ciel x3 can be a pain, you gotta realize that a team of the same skill level instead being a W.Len/Arc/Aoko team, three characters that have consistently been on the lower half of the tiers, will show minimal difference in how well they will do. There's also the drawback of using multiple characters: bad matchups and opponents who know the matchup well will hurt the team twice or three times as much as it normally would. It's not unlike spamming one "cheap" move during a match; those who aren't smart or skilled enough to beat it will fall (and sourly), but those who know its flaws are going to cash in. Wakeup DP is really sort of cheap, but the experienced players won't even flinch.

I think that disallowing multiple characters doesn't pay off nearly enough and sort of restricts who you can team with too much.

and yeah, linalys made a good last point there with how far this has sort of degraded, lol. the original plan looked totally great and regional competition looked hot but now we're sitting here trying to make sure we don't get HF-Blade zaeler and brandino or spooky zaido and kurum in what would be the most loltastic teams ever

i'm also opposed to (whether it happens or not) not being able to switch characters in tourney, but i always am :V
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 02:10:44 PM by S-Blade »
"HERE'S A NEW TECHNIQUE - STOP BEING A RETARDED FAGGOT" -SprtJuice on smash scene

<kijea> im like really sad life faggot

Offline linalys

• Melty Muffin
  • Magic Circuits: 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 30, 2008, 03:45:40 PM »
All I am able to see is what I see on the first post which, in my opinion, lacked the detail needed on how big the event is supposed to be. I just see rules and thats it. In other words, it didn't give me a lasting impression. While it doesn't explain the other reasons where it came from regional to gimmicky, I can imagine this being one factor

Arly edited the first post which cut out a lot of details.  Read the first posts in the thread to see that this indeed was an epic idea at one point. 
<Xenozip> actually i think miyako was intuitive for linalys
<Xenozip> simple because his playstyle is.. well..
<Xenozip> linalys
<Xenozip> true chaotic

Offline The Epidemic

• Apprentice
  • Magic Circuits: 0
  • God's Favorite
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 30, 2008, 05:20:43 PM »
i definetly want in on this at evo.
MB - Ciel, Satsuki
3s - Ibuki

Offline scottind

• Melty Waffle
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 30, 2008, 05:48:24 PM »
I'm for allowing multiple characters. Top tier exclusivity? This is Melty Blood, remember? Not Marvel or 3s.

i dont know what to say to that. unless you want to huddle MBAC in a corner where it get special magical rules and no one's feelings get hurt, and everyone wins an award for outstanding achievement in the field of excellence.

Arlieth has been running tournaments for years, and "no duplicate characters" has 99% always been an implemented rule. It's a good restriction that has always worked in the past, He sees no reason to change it unless everyone bitches hard enough.

if theres any point to argue about, its the entry fee.

This is EVO, not WSOP.

Offline S-Blade

• Spellcaster
  • melty blade player
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 30, 2008, 07:22:46 PM »
the problem is that I don't see why the rule of disallowing duplicate characters should be kept. sure, it's always worked in the past for other games but MB is not those other games; we all know that the balance in MB can allow multiple top-tier characters to team together without nearly as big problems as it would have for other, less balanced games, possibly without problems at all. that "special rule" that it would have to allow multiple characters in teams would really say more about how well the game was made compared to others. MB would not be some kid being treated specially because he's disabled or something, MB would be the one that needs to be looked after less because he's more developed and mature than the rest.

it wouldn't be,
"Yeah, MB team tourney is allowing duplicate characters because it's a scrubby game and completely basic easy and mashy and it's like the tricycle of all fighting games"

it would be,
"Yeah, MB team tourney is allowing duplicate characters because the balance is really tight and a lot of a strong character doesn't really go far so it doesn't need the rule"
"HERE'S A NEW TECHNIQUE - STOP BEING A RETARDED FAGGOT" -SprtJuice on smash scene

Offline jiyuna

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 19
  • NETPLAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 30, 2008, 07:46:43 PM »
it wouldn't be,
"Yeah, MB team tourney is allowing duplicate characters because it's a scrubby game and completely basic easy and mashy and it's like the tricycle of all fighting games"

it would be,
"Yeah, MB team tourney is allowing duplicate characters because the balance is really tight and a lot of a strong character doesn't really go far so it doesn't need the rule"

HMMMMMMMMMMM
NETPLAY

Offline S-Blade

• Spellcaster
  • melty blade player
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 30, 2008, 08:24:14 PM »
it wouldn't be,

it would be,

HMMMMMMMMMMM

Hey, "MB is a scrubby game and completely basic easy and mashy and it's like the tricycle of all fighting games" is still totally gonna happeCOUGHhellmonkeyCOUGH. but they wouldn't think it because of allowing duplicate characters.

Offline jocund

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 31, 2008, 12:45:45 AM »
I'm for allowing multiple characters. Top tier exclusivity? This is Melty Blood, remember? Not Marvel or 3s.

i dont know what to say to that. unless you want to huddle MBAC in a corner where it get special magical rules and no one's feelings get hurt, and everyone wins an award for outstanding achievement in the field of excellence.

Arlieth has been running tournaments for years, and "no duplicate characters" has 99% always been an implemented rule. It's a good restriction that has always worked in the past, He sees no reason to change it unless everyone bitches hard enough.

if theres any point to argue about, its the entry fee.

This is EVO, not WSOP.

I agree with you, Arlieth is more experience than we will ever be in running tournaments. Most people don't give him enough credit for the things he has done for the gaming community other than Melty Blood. I don't get how some people are being more of a douche to him for what he's been doing for years instead of just listening to him for his reasonings. No flames on anyone.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 12:47:19 AM by JO50 »
Dae: Nice try Tom you did your best!
Tom: I'm going to punch you!

Yukio Sumadera (12:50:54 AM): cause Dizzy is hot ABigStrongAsian (12:50:56 AM): lol Yukio Sumadera (12:51:13 AM): and Bridget is......appealing Yukio Sumadera (12:53:00 AM): Roll Casket though.....now that....i would hit anyday

Offline scottind

• Melty Waffle
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 31, 2008, 01:06:17 AM »
...but MB is not those other games; we all know that the balance in MB can allow multiple top-tier characters to team together without nearly as big problems as it would have for other, less balanced games...

lemme get this straight, you're going to let a TIER LIST decide whether this rule goes into play?

i dont know if you know this, but tiers DO CHANGE. Constantly. And if it changes to the point where it passes YOUR threshold to allow the duplicate rule, then you'll accept it?? I'm sorry, that's WAY too circumstantial and controversial; "the balance of a game", the "tiers", is just not a good enough reason.

"No-duplicate-characters" is a standard rule. Changing it because MB is "scrubby" or "mature" is 1) already giving it special circumstance ragardless of whether in a positive or negative light, and 2) based on opinion.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 01:10:09 AM by scottind »

Offline S-Blade

• Spellcaster
  • melty blade player
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 31, 2008, 05:20:16 AM »
The main reason for the no-duplicate-characters-rule is to give teams some more variety other than top-tier-exclusivity and to give players who don't use top-tier characters a chance to do some damage.

lemme get this straight, you're going to let a TIER LIST decide whether this rule goes into play?

I'm sorry, that's WAY too circumstantial and controversial; "the balance of a game", the "tiers", is just not a good enough reason.

Offline WickedElement

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 4
  • Might as well jump! :3
    • View Profile
    • Myspace - Melty Blood
« Reply #235 on: May 31, 2008, 07:29:26 AM »
I respect the decision. Tom has been to many tourneys. Each having different rules, and he has seen all the pros and cons first hand.

I do suggest that maybe we can setup some sort of side team tourney just for kicks, but with sbo rules(single elim) so it won't take so long since i'm sure melty cup will be a while. If time allows of course.

As for Scott: We need to have some drunken sessions of Monster hunter freedom 2. Stat!  ;D
Also on that note.....WHO WANTS TO DRINK WITH ME AT EVO!!!!!  :slowpoke: :slowpoke: :slowpoke: :slowpoke: :slowpoke: :slowpoke: :slowpoke:
3s:Hugo-Elena-Dudley|KoF98/UM:Takuma-Daimon-Andy
A3:Gen-Zangief-Charlie|GGAC:Baiken-A.B.A.-Potemkin
KoFXI:Yuri-Vanessa-Shingo|T5/DR/6:Lei-Baek-Asuka
SST:Hanzo-Jubei-Nicotine|VF4 Evo/5:Wolf-Akira-Eileen ST:Zangief-Fei Long-DJ|FFS:Big Bear-Andy-Tung MB:Miyako-Ciel-Kouma|RB2:Bash-Xiangfei-Andy

Offline scottind

• Melty Waffle
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 31, 2008, 09:04:54 AM »
quoting arlieth doesnt help your arguement.

and he's wrong about it.

Offline uLTraCarL

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 10
  • <3 IIDX <3
    • View Profile
    • The Chronicles of uLTraCarL
« Reply #237 on: June 01, 2008, 03:31:48 AM »
Also on that note.....WHO WANTS TO DRINK WITH ME AT EVO!!!!!  :slowpoke: :slowpoke: :slowpoke: :slowpoke: :slowpoke: :slowpoke: :slowpoke:

I AM GAME HOMIE  :toot:
The Chronicles of uLTraCarL
Youtube connection .. Steam connection .. Anime List

Offline WickedElement

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 4
  • Might as well jump! :3
    • View Profile
    • Myspace - Melty Blood
« Reply #238 on: June 04, 2008, 12:07:22 PM »

I AM GAME HOMIE  :toot:

YES!!!  :prinny:
3s:Hugo-Elena-Dudley|KoF98/UM:Takuma-Daimon-Andy
A3:Gen-Zangief-Charlie|GGAC:Baiken-A.B.A.-Potemkin
KoFXI:Yuri-Vanessa-Shingo|T5/DR/6:Lei-Baek-Asuka
SST:Hanzo-Jubei-Nicotine|VF4 Evo/5:Wolf-Akira-Eileen ST:Zangief-Fei Long-DJ|FFS:Big Bear-Andy-Tung MB:Miyako-Ciel-Kouma|RB2:Bash-Xiangfei-Andy

Offline Spirit Juice

• 「God of Commentary」
  • OKKUSENMAN! OKKUSENMAN!
  • Magic Circuits: 24
  • 1000% Master Sparking
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 04, 2008, 09:13:11 PM »
Why is this even an issue?  Why should MB be the only game to be the exception to the rule?  I could understand if the US didn't have enough character variety or if they game only had 10 playable characters, but MBAC has a good sized cast of characters.  What's bad about promoting character variety?
<kijea> Nerina
<kijea> can i play sex with you

Offline F9|Chibi

• Strongest Idiot
  • Magic Circuits: 136
  • portrait of eternal joy
    • View Profile
    • Pishi~
« Reply #240 on: June 04, 2008, 09:49:40 PM »
I just want my fucking Hisui team already.

God damn it.
~*Hai! Back to Japan!

pishi.wordpress.com - Updated once a week~

Offline Spirit Juice

• 「God of Commentary」
  • 1000% Master Sparking
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 04, 2008, 10:20:04 PM »
I'll play Hisui just for you, Chibi. <3
<kijea> Nerina

Offline F9|Chibi

• Strongest Idiot
  • Magic Circuits: 136
  • portrait of eternal joy
    • View Profile
    • Pishi~
« Reply #242 on: June 04, 2008, 10:40:38 PM »
go to hell jerk face
~*Hai! Back to Japan!

pishi.wordpress.com - Updated once a week~

Offline Spirit Juice

• 「God of Commentary」
  • 1000% Master Sparking
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: June 04, 2008, 11:01:36 PM »
Too bad you're tsundere for me.
<kijea> Nerina

Offline Zaelar

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 70
  • 236c
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 05, 2008, 12:28:46 AM »
questions

1) It's an issue because some idiot came up with some idiotic rule that people copied.
2) MB shouldn't be an exception, it shouldn't be a rule for any game.
3) It doesn't promote character variety.  Even if it did, it would be wrong to promote character variety in competitive play since it is anti-competitive.  (In any game where there are more playable characters than team members it might, but then it's promoting wasting time while some crappy character loses for free.)

Offline Hellmonkey

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 05, 2008, 01:30:08 AM »
questions

1) It's an issue because some idiot came up with some idiotic rule that people copied.
3) It doesn't promote character variety.  Even if it did, it would be wrong to promote character variety in competitive play since it is anti-competitive.  (In any game where there are more playable characters than team members it might, but then it's promoting wasting time while some crappy character loses for free.)
Is this post a joke?

Offline Spirit Juice

• 「God of Commentary」
  • 1000% Master Sparking
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 05, 2008, 01:54:32 AM »

1) This is completely subjective and holds no water in this debate.
2)  Again, subjective.
3)  How does it not promote character variety?  Effectively it promotes character variety in teams, which will, hopefully, trickle down to overall promoting character environment for the whole tournament.  Anti-competitive?  What?  Do you even realize that by having three seperate characters on your team it adds strategy to a team's match?  How is that anti-competitive?  Granted if you were serious about a match, you can carefully pick your match ups based on who your opponents are, what characters they use, and what kind of match ups you want (character and skill wise).  HOW is that anti-competitive?

Crappy character loses for free?  WHAT?  I don't even play MB anymore and even I know how untrue that statement is.  Sure, there are less than stellar characters in the game like... White Len, but saying she loses for free is just ignorant.

I'm really not sure how it's anit-competitive in the slightest bit, considering it actually adds strategy to the tournament.  Having an all Ciel team that doesn't have to worry about match ups doesn't add anything to the tournament, it takes away from it.

Arlieth: please don't let them pressure you into allowing duplicate characters on one team.  You know what you're doing, you know how to run tournaments (aside 2/3 in teams lolololz), so leave the rule as it is.
<kijea> Nerina

Offline Zaelar

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 70
  • 236c
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 05, 2008, 05:45:50 AM »
Just because you can't time meaties, bait stuff, recover at a reasonable frame, and/or figure out to press A instead of B against Ciel doesn't mean Ciel should be banned.(No, not 3x Ciel, just one.)  Anyone who brings up 3x Ciel is, I'm assuming, also for the banning of Ciel in singles, since using Ciel more than half the time is clearly too good and needs to be banned(indirectly of course).  Lets just force everyone to switch characters every game in singles so you can only use Ciel for one game each match.  This promotes character variety too!  If you don't have a good reason for the rule, (hint: you don't) then politely shut the fuck up and say you support the Hisui Battalion.(And tell me once you figure out how to do both.)

lolololz

I want to clarify that by competitive environment I mean playing a game in it's native form, without any modifications unless necessary(like banning akuma in st).  You can take other forms of a game and play them just as competitively, but it isn't the same game, and usually isn't worth it if it isn't a big change.(and yes, banning akuma in st is a big change from everyone running akuma)  And no, a tournament format isn't changing the game.(Although teams technically do it's more like a big format change for the purpose of this discussion.)

1) You asked why and I gave you the reason.  So I'm not 100% sure on the "some idiot" remark, but it is a dumb rule.  It specifically answers the question you ask, but holds no water in this debate?  Well, technically the reason for it being discussed doesn't have any merit either way in whether or not it should be a rule, but then why ask the question?  And how is it subjective?  I'm objectively looking at it from the point of a competitive gamer/tournament runner.  I'm not considering someone paying you to include the rule as a reason, or other such things.  I wouldn't call someone an idiot for using it then, but the rule is still dumb.

2) It isn't subjective in any way.  Name one fighting game where it shouldn't apply to in a competitive environment.  Just because of your subjective view that you don't like the idea of 3x Ciel doesn't mean it should be a rule.

For the rest I was speaking in the hypothetical, IE it concerns every fighting game, past, present, and future.  But since you want to specifically  talk about MB, lets for a moment, since it is the worst example of a game to use the rule for the reason stated.

3a) How DOES it promote character variety?  It forces(not promotes) at least 3 characters to be used.  That isn't much variety considering, even in usa, we have most characters represented already.  How many times have you seen more than two people in the top 8 of a mb tournament use the same character?  This applies to almost any competitively played game right now that isn't a team game(mvc2, cvs2, kof).  All of this happened without the rule.  Now how is this going to improve this?  All it does is force Kryo to play a secondary character or to team with different people.

Look at ST akuma again.  If Akuma was allowed, everyone who was serious about the game would be playing him.  Now that he's banned, we have several characters able to compete, even some low tier appearances.  Now if you just had team tournaments...well thats covered below.

3b) It's anti-competitive because it forces you to pick worse characters for unnatural reasons.  It's not that you can't be competitive with these restrictions, but it's no less dumb than saying ban a random character that you don't like.(oh and also banning ones that you don't mind like 3x hisui as well for no good reason)  3x Ciel(or any character) isn't the best team to go in with.  This applies to any game without a broken as hell character.  If you want to argue that it is the best, be sure to back it up with valid reasons.  Having no counters would be one, but this applies the same to singles as well.  It's also arguable whether or not it's true(That japanese matchup chart has disagreements here.  There isn't one character where both Ciels and the other players thought it was bad for Ciel).  Both general knowledge of mb and results show that she isn't broken or anywhere near unbeatable, so ST akuma level is out of the question.

Since we're talking specifically about MB for the moment, do any half way competent Ciel players plan to team up?  Didn't think so...although now I half want to just to piss people off.  How about any top tier characters?  Closest you'll probably get is mech hisui.

So, anyone considering switching to Ciel [or another popular character(like we have any to begin with)] if you're allowed to team with other Ciel players?  Didn't think so.  Anyone considering switching characters at all?  Oh hey Kryo, run that top tier secondary.

...so so far the rule caused an upper mid to switch to a top.  Mission accomplished?

(But seriously, the 3 above paragraphs don't have anything to do with why the rule should(/n't) be there.  If you seriously consider expected character selection a valid reason for the rule either way I am forced to question your intelligence.)

x1) Hypothetical game where theres only 2 playable characters(read: worth using) in teams of 3.  Obviously the third loses for free and is just there to fill in the third slot.  Think ST with Akuma, the non-Akumas would just be there to fill in the blanks while the Akumas actually play.  Unless you read only that sentence by itself I don't see how it looks like I'm saying mb is like that though.

x2) I've said it before, if 3x a specific character is really a problem then that character needed to be banned in the first place.  If she's such a problem then why aren't you petitioning that Ciel be banned in singles since anyone can use her 100% of the time?  Banning teams doesn't add to strategy, it gives you less options.  All you did was force people to go Ciel/Sion/Len instead of Ciel/Ciel/Ciel in your fantasy world where there's no reason to pick anything but the best characters on a team.

x3) So Arlieth knows what he's doing, but when it's something you don't like it's "lolololz"?  It isn't a rule that I like, but theres nothing wrong with 2/3 in teams.  Could get annoyingly long at times, but that is a personal preference thing.  It only becomes "lolololz" when the time factor pushes a deadline, which is an unrelated issue.

...(pause)...

For those of you complaining about 3x ciel, why not just ban 3x ciel?  Is 2x ciel too much?  Then just ban 2x/3x ciel but allow 3x sion/len/akiha/mechsui, or are those too strong too?  I know no one is afraid of 3x w.len, so why ban that?  Where does the line get drawn?  Also say stuff that doesn't also apply to singles unless you want it to apply there too.(Don't complain about cielx3 unless you seriously think ciel should be banned.  Not just want her gone, but you seriously think that she is near ST akuma level broken.)

Character diversity got covered above.  In case you missed it the results are about 18 against you, and 1 for you.  I think it's actually a 0 for you, but I'll let you keep your point until another warc enters.

Standard.........stop sucking cock(I mean blindly x-copying shiny rules) and give a reason as to why you think it's a good rule.(remember: why you WANT the rule and why it's a GOOD rule can be different.)

Tiers got covered in there too.  Ciel/Len/Sion is too broken now so we have to limit teams to no more than 1 top tier and 2 upper/top.  Sorry kryo, you're going to have to switch characters again.

More strategy since you can't pick 3 of the same character.  The only way it adds strategy is if 3x teams were overpowered to begin with, and the only way that is going to happen is with another Akuma reference.  The only additional strategic decision that you might encounter is whether to play with better people using a secondary character because you play the same character, or to play with a worse player using only mains.

(And no, wall of text did not crit you, you got comboed by paragraphs.)

Offline Arlieth Tralare

• Die Zauberwaffe
  • Zaubererkommandant
  • Magic Circuits: 123
  • POW!
    • View Profile
    • Melty Bread
« Reply #248 on: June 05, 2008, 10:09:17 AM »
Just because you can't time meaties, bait stuff, recover at a reasonable frame, and/or figure out to press A instead of B against Ciel doesn't mean Ciel should be banned.(No, not 3x Ciel, just one.)  Anyone who brings up 3x Ciel is, I'm assuming, also for the banning of Ciel in singles, since using Ciel more than half the time is clearly too good and needs to be banned(indirectly of course).  Lets just force everyone to switch characters every game in singles so you can only use Ciel for one game each match.  This promotes character variety too!  If you don't have a good reason for the rule, (hint: you don't) then politely shut the fuck up and say you support the Hisui Battalion.(And tell me once you figure out how to do both.)

(rest cut for length)

Zaelar, could you be, y'know, any less respectful of the people you're debating with instead of implying that they're either: 1) morons, 2) gay, or 3) babbling idiots? Whatever actual logic is behind your arguments is obscured by the trashiness of your posts and your utter lack of respect towards your fellow Melty Breaders. The only person who gets to tell people to shut the fuck up and gets to make it stick is me.

Don't make me say it.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 10:11:27 AM by Arlieth Tralare »
<bellreisa> arly *has* given up 3s
<bellreisa> retired it anyways
<linalys> no he hasn't
<linalys> it lives on in crouch shield
<proxyZAR> and it will die there too lol

Offline Dipstick

• Poverty Emeritus
  • Melty Waffle
  • Magic Circuits: 61
  • cascade of unrepentant doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 05, 2008, 11:29:10 AM »
Why is this even an issue?  Why should MB be the only game to be the exception to the rule?
VF team tournaments typically do not have any restriction on character usage.

Quote from: Arlieth Tralare
The only person who gets to tell people to shut the fuck up and gets to make it stick is me.
:-X
Worst Nanaya and second worst Ryougi player in the USA

それがわたしのスタンダード!