Yes
3 (27.3%)
No, but I would if Melty Blood was there
4 (36.4%)
No
4 (36.4%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: January 28, 2008, 09:27:45 PM

Author Topic: Final Round XI in Atlanta, GA [3/16/2008]  (Read 68423 times)

Offline Lord Knight

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 71
  • Without love, it is lost
    • View Profile
Re: Final Round XI in Atlanta, GA [3/18/2008]
« Reply #75 on: January 11, 2008, 02:48:30 AM »
NEC8 TOAST VS EVO07 TOAST AT THE FINAL ROUND BAKERY!

WHO WILL WIN!!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!  :mystery:
Keep climbin', gotta get to the top

Offline F9|Chibi

• Strongest Idiot
  • Magic Circuits: 136
  • portrait of eternal joy
    • View Profile
    • Pishi~
« Reply #76 on: January 11, 2008, 09:22:15 PM »
steve, how you getting there?
~*Hai! Back to Japan!

pishi.wordpress.com - Updated once a week~

Offline Chie Satonaka

• I wish I wasn´t a white person
  • Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 25
  • STEAK! STEAK! STEAK! STEAK! STEAK! STEAK! STEAK!
    • View Profile
    • My twitter!
« Reply #77 on: January 12, 2008, 07:11:19 PM »
You'd better be ready to show me that $100 in cash before the match. I'm not playing any broke-ass fools who think they can win.  :blah:

Free Money

Free Money

Free Money

Free Money

Free Money

Unless you've gotten better from NEC8, I KNOW I'm getting that $100 and if not win final round atleast make top 5.  :blah:

And call me cocky/arrogant if you want, but all I'm trying to do is hype this shit up anyway I can. If I win I win. If I lose I'll man up and give your money. I'm not the type to talk big and flake out.
Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak!

Offline Choco

• Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 69
  • IM MAD
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 13, 2008, 11:07:45 AM »
I have a condition. If you want to have a $100 money match against me, show me you're serious. Play me on stick. No deal if you can't play on stick. Welcome to the big leagues.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 11:09:52 AM by Choco »

Offline Chie Satonaka

• Magus Candidate
    • View Profile
    • My twitter!
« Reply #79 on: January 13, 2008, 11:49:20 AM »
I have a condition. If you want to have a $100 money match against me, show me you're serious. Play me on stick. No deal if you can't play on stick. Welcome to the big leagues.

Heh.

I guess I'll be enjoying my stay then.
Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak! Steak!

Offline F9|Chibi

• Strongest Idiot
    • View Profile
    • Pishi~
« Reply #80 on: January 13, 2008, 12:16:48 PM »
Well realistically speaking I think top 5 is going to be composed of:

Lord Knight
NotBrandino
Choco
Myself
Jaxx

The order that they're in is a toss up, but outside of that I don't think much anyone's going to be a problem.

;p
~*Hai! Back to Japan!

Offline XAQshinor

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 38
  • Shirley ;-;
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 13, 2008, 02:07:31 PM »
final round is gonna be on the 15/16 i think.
i dont think i can come though, funds are looking low :<.

Offline Choco

• Magus Candidate
  • IM MAD
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 13, 2008, 09:04:53 PM »

Heh.

I don't understand. [ ] Yes [ ] No ?

Offline Chie Satonaka

• Magus Candidate
    • View Profile
    • My twitter!
« Reply #83 on: January 13, 2008, 09:06:13 PM »

Heh.

Of course I'll play stick. I'm not gonna back out of this now.

Offline Tare

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 13, 2008, 09:43:46 PM »

What difference does it make if he plays you on pad? Seriously, to me it just sounds like an excuse that you might lose if he plays on pad and you just need a handicap. Showing that he's serious? Come on give the guy a break, he lives in the middle of nowhere with no major tournament background or scene and decided to travel to NEC. He's definately serious about the game. He's taking time and money now to travel to events like in Final Round, playing and practicing at home, going to gatherings at DIFFERENT cities, I dont know what is making you assume he's not serious. Choosing what kind of input method you prefer in a fighting game = how serious you are to the game is news to me.

Offline Chie Satonaka

• Magus Candidate
    • View Profile
    • My twitter!
« Reply #85 on: January 13, 2008, 10:03:28 PM »

Heh.

Of course I'll play stick. I'm not gonna back out of this now.

I'm sort of thinking why should it matter if I play on pad or stick because using the "welcome to the big league" honestly sounds like a load of bull.

Offline frubam

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 13, 2008, 10:11:23 PM »
lol somebody's gonna get EMBARRASSED here.  Make SURE you save some replays of this event, and DONT LET THE LOSER STOP YOU FROM SAVING IT(well, it'd be in the ReplayTmp folder anyways just in case).   I think i'll put in my chips with Brandino.
Yo mama so fat, even Naruto cant believe it!!! - Akira

Offline F9|Chibi

• Strongest Idiot
    • View Profile
    • Pishi~
« Reply #87 on: January 13, 2008, 10:21:59 PM »
Yeah yeah, keep playing on pad, but when we inevitably get an SBO qual for this game and your ass is sitting infront of the cabinet going 'a-derrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr' then you'll be thinking otherwise. What about Texas Showdown? That's all arcade cabinets. I mean in reality there are more MB cabinets in the US then both GG and AH combined, and that's saying alot, and there's more coming still.

Practicing stick with MB in this game means that SHOULD you be given the opportunity to play the game at an arcade cabinet, you will not be assed out, and sooner or later, everyone does. I was playing MB on pad since I started back with the ORIGINAL MB, but then I found out an arcade FOUR STATES AWAY had the damn game (this was well over a year ago) so I made the 14 hour trek up there countless times. Shit was sadness, but the opportunity will be there, and there's no real con in learning stick (in reality I just get alot more hype and energetic when using stick, more so then I ever did with pad).

So I guess learning stick in MB really is a sign that you're getting serious, because even if the chance for a qual or on on actual cab is 0.01%, it's still there, and you'll be ready for it.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 10:24:51 PM by Master Chibi »
~*Hai! Back to Japan!

Offline motoh

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 13, 2008, 10:25:10 PM »
final round is gonna be on the 15/16 i think.
i dont think i can come though, funds are looking low :<.

Yeah, is the thread title off?  What day's the Melty, also?

~M

Offline Tare

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 13, 2008, 10:29:46 PM »
Yeah yeah, keep playing on pad, but when we inevitably get an SBO qual for this game and your ass is sitting infront of the cabinet going 'a-derrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr' then you'll be thinking otherwise. What about Texas Showdown? That's all arcade cabinets. I mean in reality there are more MB cabinets in the US then both GG and AH combined, and that's saying alot, and there's more coming still.

Practicing stick with MB in this game means that SHOULD you be given the opportunity to play the game at an arcade cabinet, you will not be assed out, and sooner or later, everyone does. I was playing MB on pad since I started back with the ORIGINAL MB, but then I found out an arcade FOUR STATES AWAY had the damn game (this was well over a year ago) so I made the 14 hour trek up there countless times. Shit was sadness, but the opportunity will be there, and there's no real con in learning stick (in reality I just get alot more hype and energetic when using stick, more so then I ever did with pad).

You just completely missed the entire point. He said that stick defines how serious you are to the game, that logically doesn't make sense. So you may be playing your stick, and sure it may matter if it gets to the sitatuation that you magically make SBO, but still wouldn't make a difference what you play on if you suck. I'm pretty sure if a significant event like that did occur to him, he'd probably use stick cause he had NO CHOICE. But why would you make a condition like that for a money match? It really just sounds like a silly excuse to me.

Offline Chie Satonaka

• Magus Candidate
    • View Profile
    • My twitter!
« Reply #90 on: January 13, 2008, 10:39:12 PM »

So I guess learning stick in MB really is a sign that you're getting serious, because even if the chance for a qual or on on actual cab is 0.01%, it's still there, and you'll be ready for it.

I never said I WOULDN'T play against him on stick(I actually agreed), I'm just wondering WHY I HAVE to because I'm not buying that excuse. Ok, yeah I could understand if I had to use stick in a tourney setup or even SBO then I'd obviously use stick in the first place (and BTW I have been and still practice stick so hopefully I can be prepared to be put in a arcade setup like you said).  But this is a MM so I should have the option to use w/e I feel comfortable with, not use something that'' obviously put me at a handicap. I'm honestly having to agree with Tare on this and say that only allowing me to use stick against Choco to MM sounds like bull.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 10:41:08 PM by NotBrandino »

Offline Choco

• Magus Candidate
  • IM MAD
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 13, 2008, 10:41:17 PM »
Tare, at NEC, Brandino won tournaments using pad. Afterwards he screamed something, "YEAH, BRANDINO AND LORD KNIGHT GONNA TAKE SBO!.... oh shit, we're going to have to learn stick." I figure if Brandino is serious about winning, serious about taking it to the next level, he'll agree and play on stick. Stick is not only cabinet standard, but a better control method in general (consensus). I figure that if he's going to talk so real in here, how about he keeps things really real and play on the only acceptable control method for the game? I wouldn't be proving anything to myself or anyone I know if I beat a pad warrior/scrub and took $100 from him.

By the way, this is first to 10. Short breaks acceptable between every few matches to take a drink, stretch, etc. Sound fine, Brandino? You don't have to play me on stick if you don't want to. You could always back out.  :blah: :blah: :blah:

Offline Tare

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 13, 2008, 10:49:52 PM »
Tare, at NEC, Brandino won tournaments using pad. Afterwards he screamed something, "YEAH, BRANDINO AND LORD KNIGHT GONNA TAKE SBO!.... oh shit, we're going to have to learn stick." I figure if Brandino is serious about winning, serious about taking it to the next level, he'll agree and play on stick. Stick is not only cabinet standard, but a better control method in general (consensus). I figure that if he's going to talk so real in here, how about he keeps things really real and play on the only acceptable control method for the game? I wouldn't be proving anything to myself or anyone I know if I beat a pad warrior/scrub and took $100 from him.

By the way, this is first to 10. Short breaks acceptable between every few matches to take a drink, stretch, etc. Sound fine, Brandino? You don't have to play me on stick if you don't want to. You could always back out.  :blah: :blah: :blah:

Yeah I bet those stick players felt REAL bad about beating JuicyG and FlashMetroid in GG at EVO. Not to mention they even map FRC buttons. This is probably out of my line since it's really between you and Brandon but, you want to talk about SBO, you want to talk about stepping it up. But the only fact here that this match has nothing to do with either of those. It's a money match and the conditions you set just goes to show that you really aren't confident about winning. If you were, it wouldn't matter what he used. Changing a character and input method of a preferred choice does affect your game. I think YOU'RE the one that needs to step up and challenge him under reasonable conditions. You wouldn't be proving anything beating a pad warrior but you obviously have something to brag about beating a gimped player, that's awesome. It seems he agrees to your cowardly decision anyways so, guess it doesn't matter. I'll be seeing you at SBO Finals.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 10:53:32 PM by Tare »

Offline Chie Satonaka

• Magus Candidate
    • View Profile
    • My twitter!
« Reply #93 on: January 13, 2008, 10:53:38 PM »

Alright it'll be FT10, short breaks for w/e and I will use stick.

Offline Choco

• Magus Candidate
  • IM MAD
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 13, 2008, 11:06:19 PM »
Tare, I could probably spend the next two months before FRXI trying to get you to understand and accept my justifications for the terms... but fuck that. You take your side and argue your points since you think it's so righteous. In the end, I refuse to do a high dollar money match against someone who isn't serious enough to give up being a pad scrub and start practicing hardcore for SBO -now-.

Offline F9|Chibi

• Strongest Idiot
    • View Profile
    • Pishi~
« Reply #95 on: January 13, 2008, 11:17:19 PM »
Tare you missed my point guy.

If you're really serious about playing this game, you will 100% play it on stick.

Why?

Because if there's a chance in hell you can get to an arcade cabinet, you will not be assed out. And if there's a bigger chance for the US getting SBO quals AND you getting to attend it, then you're still not assed out.

That's it. You are completely preparing yourself for these two situations, regardless of HOW unlikely it may seem for either them to happen. You can walk in there, lose, and tell yourself:

You know what, I tried my best, but at least I know it wasn't my inability to play with a stick that held me back.

Lord Knight himself came to a Philly tournament a few weeks ago, and in all honesty he played the worst I've ever seen him (it should have been him and myself in GF).

What did he do immediately after the tournament? Guy came right up to me and asked if he could borrow a stick. I happily lent him one on the spot.

So yeah, if you're going to step your game up in MB, stick is 100% necessary. Personally I don't give a shit who is playing what when it's on a laptop or computer, but I won't give a fuck if you screw yourself over for being a pad warrior and you're standing there like a moron at the cabinet.
~*Hai! Back to Japan!

Offline Tare

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 13, 2008, 11:35:20 PM »
Tare you missed my point guy.

If you're really serious about playing this game, you will 100% play it on stick.

Why?

Because if there's a chance in hell you can get to an arcade cabinet, you will not be assed out. And if there's a bigger chance for the US getting SBO quals AND you getting to attend it, then you're still not assed out.

That's it. You are completely preparing yourself for these two situations, regardless of HOW unlikely it may seem for either them to happen. You can walk in there, lose, and tell yourself:

You know what, I tried my best, but at least I know it wasn't my inability to play with a stick that held me back.

Lord Knight himself came to a Philly tournament a few weeks ago, and in all honesty he played the worst I've ever seen him (it should have been him and myself in GF).

What did he do immediately after the tournament? Guy came right up to me and asked if he could borrow a stick. I happily lent him one on the spot.

So yeah, if you're going to step your game up in MB, stick is 100% necessary. Personally I don't give a shit who is playing what when it's on a laptop or computer, but I won't give a fuck if you screw yourself over for being a pad warrior and you're standing there like a moron at the cabinet.

Yeah I agree learning stick helps in situations where it's absolutely necessary, I'm saying for this SPECIFIC situation that it was just an unnecessary call. Brandon doesn't even have a stick, he has to borrow someone's stick. He never said he wasn't going to learn the stick. Picking an arbitrarily date like Final Round and saying you have to learn stick perfectly by this time is dumb. He should be learning at his own pace and he is. It's like you never played stick, but then I tell you that you have to learn it by next week to compete in this tournament or else it means you're not serious enough in this tournament and that you never will be and you'll just remain a scrub. By the way, it's more than likely that no one in North America is going to even attend SBO this year playing MBAC because the game isn't even on the list. Replaced by MBAA which doesn't even have videos out yet for localization tests. I doubt NA will have any chance of competition given the environment and restrictions when it comes out to cabinet as well.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 11:37:50 PM by Tare »

Offline Choco

• Magus Candidate
  • IM MAD
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 13, 2008, 11:41:29 PM »
Edit for relevance: Southern California will have Actress Again, EC may get it, and you know what? I'm importing my own game + board and setting up a cab/supergun here in AZ. The US will have competition in Actress Again.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 04:21:34 AM by D:ipstick »

Offline Xianoir

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 13, 2008, 11:48:55 PM »
Brandon vs Choco money match on MBAC?
Make it more interesting by MM'ing Cho Aniki.

Offline F9|Chibi

• Strongest Idiot
    • View Profile
    • Pishi~
« Reply #99 on: January 13, 2008, 11:52:50 PM »
lol

this isn't hype though, it's just stupid

@ tare:

Well whatever, let them fight about it.