When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: MBAA Tiers  (Read 129505 times)

Offline GenericSuperhero

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 67
    • View Profile
Re: MBAA Tiers
« Reply #175 on: March 28, 2010, 08:14:09 PM »
h/f nero should be bumped down a tier for console.  A/B/C is also too broad.  need +/-'s.  also need an F tier for necos and neco players
<Dipstick> bell would have a significant advantage in length and size
<Dipstick> but Sp00ky has a lot more experience

Offline Nas

• Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 46
  • NOEL GETTIN IN DAT ASS
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 28, 2010, 11:42:40 PM »
the reasons the placing is inconsistent cuse i end up playing fighting the killas first (aka SPOOKY EVERY FUCKING BBG!!).. not to say i don't mind it but damn yo....

also as far ryougi moon tiers it's H>C>F, H and C have better options imo (ala better setups)... but i wouldn't sleep on F.. she has pretty godlike normals... 2A, 5B, j.B, J.C, 3C (although i still messing with in practice) are all pretty solid imo
Basically... kind of a big deal....

Offline Rei

• America's Worst Ryougi
  • Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 309
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 29, 2010, 04:07:39 PM »
the reasons the placing is inconsistent cuse i end up playing fighting the killas first (aka SPOOKY EVERY FUCKING BBG!!).. not to say i don't mind it but damn yo....

also as far ryougi moon tiers it's H>C>F, H and C have better options imo (ala better setups)... but i wouldn't sleep on F.. she has pretty godlike normals... 2A, 5B, j.B, J.C, 3C (although i still messing with in practice) are all pretty solid imo
Yeah. F-Ryougi has an awesome neutral game, not the best pressure or gimmicks, but her normals and reach are ridiculous.
<@sibladeko> lack of close buttons is poverty
<@sibladeko> means the police can't use secret elevator codes to save us
<Darcius> poor people not worth savin
<@SilentShinobi> the double down is the black man's lethal kryptonite

Offline Nas

• Magus Candidate
  • NOEL GETTIN IN DAT ASS
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 29, 2010, 10:44:22 PM »
also to comment that F-ryougi can't out range a Nero.... i've done enough times that i've beaten any normal that gets thrown at me...

the only thing i think stops ryougi from getting higher is her bleeding health... and wtf about overheads... the fact that she doesn't need a overhead to win must tell you something.. shit i don't think i ever used an overhead since i started playing..hell any good ryougi using the overhead would put a question mark on my head sometimes... her sheer guard break power is too hard not to ignore... i swear i get muthafuckas either gaurdbroken.. or to the point that they need to start making decisons on how to get out.. and F's pressure system is nothing compared to C or H.. and im seeing Snozz going out there. almost guard breaking.. the thing with ryougi is she forces you to make decisons... waste bar.. do risky things ( you don't how many times people were coming out with air shields because F's j.b is too annoying to deal with...)

Offline koun

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 1
  • Bebop
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 30, 2010, 12:53:11 PM »
also to comment that F-ryougi can't out range a Nero.... i've done enough times that i've beaten any normal that gets thrown at me...

the only thing i think stops ryougi from getting higher is her bleeding health... and wtf about overheads... the fact that she doesn't need a overhead to win must tell you something.. shit i don't think i ever used an overhead since i started playing..hell any good ryougi using the overhead would put a question mark on my head sometimes... her sheer guard break power is too hard not to ignore... i swear i get muthafuckas either gaurdbroken.. or to the point that they need to start making decisons on how to get out.. and F's pressure system is nothing compared to C or H.. and im seeing Snozz going out there. almost guard breaking.. the thing with ryougi is she forces you to make decisons... waste bar.. do risky things ( you don't how many times people were coming out with air shields because F's j.b is too annoying to deal with...)

^This

Offline F9|Chibi

• Strongest Idiot
  • Magic Circuits: 136
  • portrait of eternal joy
    • View Profile
    • Pishi~
« Reply #180 on: March 30, 2010, 05:16:06 PM »
Dude, the priority and reach on her normals is a bit much.

I wouldn't give a fuck otherwise but I'm at a loss at how to fight a character with a normal that almost entirely encompasses the visible vertical reach of the playing field.

Meh.
~*Hai! Back to Japan!

pishi.wordpress.com - Updated once a week~

Offline MissedFRC

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 4
  • Terror Alert OCTORINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 30, 2010, 06:40:02 PM »
It's like you guys can't EX Guard or something.  :-\
<Saya> fuck all of you
* Saya (~chatzilla@24.104.140.198) has left #mbaa

Offline Nandeyanen

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 6
  • Nyoro~n
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 30, 2010, 07:09:11 PM »
It's like you guys can't EX Guard or something.  :-\

Yeah, for C and F moons, Ex-guard can really screw with Ryougi's guard crushes. That and shield bunkering...
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 07:15:52 PM by Nandeyanen »

Offline F9|Chibi

• Strongest Idiot
  • Magic Circuits: 136
  • portrait of eternal joy
    • View Profile
    • Pishi~
« Reply #183 on: March 30, 2010, 07:49:01 PM »
I play H.

:|
~*Hai! Back to Japan!

pishi.wordpress.com - Updated once a week~

Offline Zaelar

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 70
  • 236c
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 31, 2010, 01:26:55 AM »
h-214d > ryougi

Offline Rei

• America's Worst Ryougi
  • Magus
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 31, 2010, 06:08:02 PM »
h-214d > ryougi

unless it's baited... then -100 heat and nothing for h moon :/

Offline Nas

• Magus Candidate
  • NOEL GETTIN IN DAT ASS
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 31, 2010, 07:05:50 PM »
yea... go ahead and shield bunker... then you get baited.. OOPP AWW...

also EX-guard...sure...people ex guard.. just not all the time.. and i can assure i will break gaurds just as fast you ex-guard them..

Offline Rei

• America's Worst Ryougi
  • Magus
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 01, 2010, 06:17:39 PM »
Yeah a lot of the solutions that people are suggesting against Ryougi can also be used against 4/5 of the cast :/

Offline MissedFRC

• Spellcaster
  • Terror Alert OCTORINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 01, 2010, 06:23:42 PM »

also EX-guard...sure...people ex guard.. just not all the time.. and i can assure i will break gaurds just as fast you ex-guard them..

If you get your guard broken in C or F moon then you are not good at EX Guarding. :/ You can't break guard as fast you EX guard because EX guard completely prevents being guard broken in the first place.

The H-Ryougi blockstrings that guard crush are extremely repetitive and are pretty easy to EX Guard.

Baiting a shield bunker in the middle of her string is a big dedication, to be honest I don't think going for guard crush is a good strategy with her. Her normals and general gameplay are strong enough to work without something that isn't even guaranteed to work unless you catch an H-Moon with no meter or the opponent is incompetent with EX guard.

Yeah a lot of the solutions that people are suggesting against Ryougi can also be used against 4/5 of the cast :/

And that somehow discredits it? I don't see the logic here in downing a totally viable solution. I'm sorry it works on a lot of other characters too.

Like blocking.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 06:38:25 PM by MissedFRC »
<Saya> fuck all of you

Offline Rei

• America's Worst Ryougi
  • Magus
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 01, 2010, 08:58:14 PM »

If you get your guard broken in C or F moon then you are not good at EX Guarding. :/ You can't break guard as fast you EX guard because EX guard completely prevents being guard broken in the first place.

The H-Ryougi blockstrings that guard crush are extremely repetitive and are pretty easy to EX Guard.

Baiting a shield bunker in the middle of her string is a big dedication, to be honest I don't think going for guard crush is a good strategy with her. Her normals and general gameplay are strong enough to work without something that isn't even guaranteed to work unless you catch an H-Moon with no meter or the opponent is incompetent with EX guard.
Ryougi can bait shield pretty safely. Also, because of her amazing neutral game, she can afford to do it. Worst result is being back in neutral, which is one of Ryougi's strongest points.

And that somehow discredits it? I don't see the logic here in downing a totally viable solution. I'm sorry it works on a lot of other characters too.

Like blocking.
Not at all, you're right it doesn't discredit it. Though ex guarding is nice, not always the answer, especially since Ryougi can stagger things as well. Especially C or H moons.

Of course EX guarding can be countered by grabbing/Arc drive if there is meter. Ryougi has some pretty retarded properties on her ground throw lol.

Guard crush strategy is definitely legit. If they're trying to EX guard to not lose their break, it means they're scared and only going to block. Still giving Ryougi advantage and throw in more grabs/staggers to fuck the timing up
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 08:59:50 PM by Rei »

Offline MissedFRC

• Spellcaster
  • Terror Alert OCTORINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 02, 2010, 10:59:09 AM »

Not at all, you're right it doesn't discredit it. Though ex guarding is nice, not always the answer, especially since Ryougi can stagger things as well. Especially C or H moons.

Of course EX guarding can be countered by grabbing/Arc drive if there is meter. Ryougi has some pretty retarded properties on her ground throw lol.

Guard crush strategy is definitely legit. If they're trying to EX guard to not lose their break, it means they're scared and only going to block. Still giving Ryougi advantage and throw in more grabs/staggers to fuck the timing up

Instant Blocking requires no dedication other than your own practice and a decent familiarity with move sets. It doesn't make you easy to grab or easy to AD (her AD setups are really nasty if you've never seen them, I understand that). EX Guarding is really no different from Instant Blocking, it doesn't require heavy dedication and it's very easy to react to what your opponent is doing if you have even a moderate amount of experience in IBing or things like IB.

I realize she afford to bait EX Shield, but it's still dedication and from what I've seen and played against the GC strings are big dedications in themselves. I've never been remotely close to being GC'd by her unless my friend was using the air-tight GC string. Her neutral game is great, her pressure is good, especially in H-Moon and that's why I think she has other options that are more surefire where the opponent has to rely more on approaching, defending and escaping correctly rather than tapping down-back.

I treat EX Guard as more of a "this is available to me, I should ALWAYS be doing this, no exceptions" rather than "I have to dedicate to this because of x situation".
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 11:00:51 AM by MissedFRC »
<Saya> fuck all of you

Offline Tonberry

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 53
  • $NJ$
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 02, 2010, 02:24:04 PM »
Why is this being discussed?  America isn't going to block long enough to GC anyways.
[01:08] <Komidol> that marisa cosplayer that took my registration was sexy
[15:24] <Rokunaya> i've actually reached the point where some voice actors sound familiar in animes
[22:40] <bellreisa> i'm an insane murderer who is overwhelmed by nihilism but that's ok cause i'm in love

Offline Nas

• Magus Candidate
  • NOEL GETTIN IN DAT ASS
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 03, 2010, 02:40:40 AM »
which is even more awesome cuse i like free damage...

Offline mynus

• Apprentice
  • Magic Circuits: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 11, 2010, 11:15:10 AM »
Why is this being discussed?  America isn't going to block long enough to GC anyways.

LOL you havent played me yet.

Offline Mistwraith

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 11, 2010, 08:05:09 PM »
I find that even though the knife catch mixup is nice for H, people get used to it after a while and will learn how to see it coming. I still prefer C over H due to better air normals, which help against certain characters.

Offline Tonberry

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 53
  • $NJ$
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: April 11, 2010, 11:04:28 PM »

Not true, we played in teams at NEC and I lost :(.
[01:08] <Komidol> that marisa cosplayer that took my registration was sexy
[15:24] <Rokunaya> i've actually reached the point where some voice actors sound familiar in animes
[22:40] <bellreisa> i'm an insane murderer who is overwhelmed by nihilism but that's ok cause i'm in love

Offline koun

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Bebop
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 13, 2010, 01:20:23 PM »

Not true, we played in teams at NEC and I lost :(.
Wow lol guys but i think for h to f for her is just how you like to play.

Offline c-nero 5[c]

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 13
  • another well-balanced masterpiece from frenchbread
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 11, 2010, 11:42:58 AM »
The problem with F-Ryougi is that although her j.B has huge reach, it also has a huge vulnerable hitbox, so it has problems VS moves with little or no green hitbox. The #1 issue I've faced is versus Akiha and Warachia, Kohaku in C is also a huge problem. She definitely has a strong air zoning game, but against some specific characters with no-greenbox air moves, she finds it almost impossible to win. It's a bit silly to say j.B is unbeatably godlike for air zoning, that's like saying nero j.C is unbeatable because it takes up lots of space.

Shielding isn't a huge deal for F-ryougi, but its moon dependent. If H-Moon shields and you have enough experience/reactionspeed, you can mid parry on reaction for free damage. The same applies to F-moon, if they do their shield counter, else its character dependent. C-Moon is character dependent.

EX guard ruins her and anyone who is remotely competent will be doing it. You cannot afford to rely on guard crush. The rekkas especially are mindless to guard crush since they are always mid/mid/mid (the overheard option sucks and the low ender is unsafe on block unless RC'd). For this same reason they are mindless to shield if you try to charge or stagger any. You can always try to mix up the rekka types but the low ender is unsafe on block so it's really too risky.

Charged 5C is godlike at low-mid level, and against H-Moon it's pretty safe even when shielded (character dependent). Most C and F characters have a long ranged normal/EX they can shield cancel into to wreck your shit, and after a while of playing VS ryougi you can shield the charged 5C somewhat consistently.

Her complete lack of reversal game means you HAVE to master all of the game's defensive options (bunker, EX guard, shield) and you will probably still do little more than delay your loss against a solid rushdown char like warc. Her best reversal in my experience is TK 236C, which is a pathetically bad choice due to the jump startup.

She has an extremely solid neutral game, controls space amazingly, does decent damage and surely I don't need to talk about the arc drive. But she has one core problem that completely destroys her at mid-level play, and that is that her rushdown is not scary. Most of her overhead options are unsafe, predictable, or both. The charged 5C is the only thing you have that will still work past scrub level, and many players will still own you for it there. She only truly gets any kind of scary mixup game when in HEAT, and for that reason I never press advantage after knockdown, preferring to escape and charge meter. F Ryougi is basically a shitty unfinished gimmick character that has no reason to scare anyone without MAX/HEAT, and many characters can really hurt her ability to charge meter after doing j.236B. This is my opinion after taking her to several casuals and tournaments over the past year and playing against many people, including a mid-level japanese player and other top players in the UK/EU. I'm probably going to drop her.

The #1 reason above all else is that there is no joy to playing her. When you win, it's purely because your opponent didn't know how to play against her. Once he does, it is nigh-impossible to win unless you are playing a specific matchup where she has complete air dominance.

A rough comparison would be with MBAC Ver.B white len. A character with lots of interesting stuff and strong points, but just lacking the last few critical tools to bring everything together into a solid game. They fixed wlen for ver.B2 by giving her more options on 623 series and other slight tweaks. Even though she stayed bottom tier she went from unusable to a character you could win with. F-Ryougi feels like she could be the same if you simply made all her rekka options safe (giving her some basic low/mid/high mindgames ability and a way to beat EX guard) and perhaps made her unblockables unshieldable (forcing either a dodge or a reversal, might be OP vs f-moon).

To be honest there are several other characters in MBAA who lack tools to win and I'd like to see all of them recieve their necessary fixes in MBAACC, but that might be wishful thinking. I'd like to see chars like H-wara or seifuku akiha be actually useful though, instead of being stupid neco tier shit gimmicks.
<Irysa> arcana heart 3 just red ringed my 360 im not even joking
<Sabator> LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
<Sabator> BBCS RED RINGED MINE
<Sabator> FUCKING ANIME GAMES MAN

Offline Shlowpoke

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 9
  • omgomgomgomg
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 11, 2010, 04:57:55 PM »
What the hell happened in this thread? Jesus. I don't usually go on rants, but this deserves it since I used to think F-Ryougi was garbage too.

She definitely has a strong air zoning game, but against some specific characters with no-greenbox air moves, she finds it almost impossible to win.

It sounds to me like you're saying that air zoning is the only tool that F-Ryougi has, and that when she comes up against a character that outranges her, there's nothing she can do. No. F-Ryougi has plenty of tools. Sure, her j.B zoning is great, but she still has things to use in matchups where she's outranged. Look at 5b, 2b, and 22a. 5b is such a ridiculous anti-air. As soon as you get your opponent trying to challenge your j.b you can anti-air 5b them or dash under them and 5b with her awesome dash. 2b has some RANGE and is really fast. 2b, 2c, 3c, rekkas is such a great way to get in. 22a is a super fast projectile with massive frame advantage that also helps her get in when she's outranged.

Shielding isn't a huge deal for F-ryougi, but its moon dependent. If H-Moon shields and you have enough experience/reactionspeed, you can mid parry on reaction for free damage. The same applies to F-moon, if they do their shield counter, else its character dependent. C-Moon is character dependent.

Okay, where the hell did this idea come from? I've been hearing this for a while in relation to H-moon bunker/shield and it's complete bullshit. Show me one player that can actually consistently counter on reaction to getting shielded, especially with F-Ryougi. F has so little time to link her normals together. You pretty much have to press the next button as soon as you've pressed the last. I MIGHT buy this for H-Ryougi normals against F-moon shield counter if you've got great reaction speed and you're really looking for it. But I really don't think this is something you can do without prediction.

EX guard ruins her and anyone who is remotely competent will be doing it. You cannot afford to rely on guard crush. The rekkas especially are mindless to guard crush since they are always mid/mid/mid (the overheard option sucks and the low ender is unsafe on block unless RC'd). For this same reason they are mindless to shield if you try to charge or stagger any. You can always try to mix up the rekka types but the low ender is unsafe on block so it's really too risky.

Well, you're half right. Guard crush isn't really an option unless you're fighting a meterless H-moon. But EX guard does not ruin F-Ryougi. See below for pressure options.

Her complete lack of reversal game means you HAVE to master all of the game's defensive options (bunker, EX guard, shield) and you will probably still do little more than delay your loss against a solid rushdown char like warc. Her best reversal in my experience is TK 236C, which is a pathetically bad choice due to the jump startup.

Well, yeah. You have a point here. She has no reversals. But she has F-moon shield, which is great. If you're looking for a quick getaway, 214c seems to work sometimes, but yeah patience and knowing when to bunker/shield/block is pretty important for any Ryougi. At least she has an anti-A armor 2a with crazy range for poking the holes, right?

She has an extremely solid neutral game, controls space amazingly, does decent damage and surely I don't need to talk about the arc drive. But she has one core problem that completely destroys her at mid-level play, and that is that her rushdown is not scary. Most of her overhead options are unsafe, predictable, or both. The charged 5C is the only thing you have that will still work past scrub level, and many players will still own you for it there. She only truly gets any kind of scary mixup game when in HEAT, and for that reason I never press advantage after knockdown, preferring to escape and charge meter. F Ryougi is basically a shitty unfinished gimmick character that has no reason to scare anyone without MAX/HEAT, and many characters can really hurt her ability to charge meter after doing j.236B. This is my opinion after taking her to several casuals and tournaments over the past year and playing against many people, including a mid-level japanese player and other top players in the UK/EU. I'm probably going to drop her.

Ugh. F-Ryougi's pressure is just as good as say... F-Ries. Rekkas are F-Ryougi's main pressure tool, right? 236a, 236[a], 2a reset. Safe, easy auto-stagger pressure. If you do this every time, OF COURSE YOU'RE GOING TO GET SHIELDED. It's the only way to beat it besides DP! So when they start shielding, you don't charge the 2nd hit, or you wait a half a second on the 2a, or you end them like normal with 236a because you have such ridiculous range that being at neutral isn't such a bad thing in the first place. And you also even have 22a for a free dash-in because of crazy frame advantage. Normal string, 22a, dash up 5a, 5a, 5b, 4c, rekkas. Safe way to get in an overhead that leads to more pressure or combo into oki if it hits. All that isn't even taking into account her normal stagger pressure or IH gimmicks. Oh and her airdash j.b at just the right height is a nice double-overhead, too. If you cancel into j.c after the first hit you'll land without it coming out and can go into 2b to keep people guessing.

F-Ryougi has plenty of tools.

And don't be so obsessed with ending your combos with j.236b and charge. F-Ryougi is the only style that can hit with her 2b after airthrow on oki without moving forward, so if you're playing against a character with great air options screw the charge and go for the oki.

The #1 reason above all else is that there is no joy to playing her. When you win, it's purely because your opponent didn't know how to play against her. Once he does, it is nigh-impossible to win unless you are playing a specific matchup where she has complete air dominance.

Well if you play all j.b zoning and durr-hurr rekka pressure into 236b rekka ender air combo style all the time... then yeah she's the most boring, predictable character in the game. Personally, my favorite part about playing her is the oki after a simple combo like 2a, 5b, 2b, 2c, 3c, 236a, 236[a], 214a (have to reverse). You get decent damage plus sandoori or a TK j.236b which-way.

So she has decent, solid pressure that will scrub-out anyone that doesn't know how to shield. She has combos into oki setups. She has good-damage combos in the corner that I find really fun. She has a great arc drive. And most importantly she has air zoning that simply shuts down a lot of characters completely.

I'd say she's pretty damn good.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 05:06:03 PM by Shlowpoke »

Offline LoliSauce

• Righteous Pedo
  • Magic Circuits: 120
  • Dandy Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 11, 2010, 11:12:20 PM »
5b isn't a good antiair, it's only good for catching people as they're jumping out of pressure.  I beat out my buddy trying to use antiair 5b all day.  Now, TK236b is some serious business antiair.  That shit is annoying.  Also somehow you forget that 2/3 moon styles can hold shield, making it pretty brainless to sheild out of her rekkas.  It's pretty free.  F Ryougi has pretty weak pressure even for F moon charas.  The knife helps her pressure, but it's not super easy to get the knife back if you fuck up in C or F. 

Btw, how is her dash godlike?  It seems like the super late cancel point kills it.  I didn't know that her 2a couldn't be a-armored either.
<LoliSauce>   Yeah, so I live right in between an elementary school and a middle school about a block on each side of me
<Zar>      God loves you, Lolisauce
---
<Mauve>      [The Touhou fandom] are like the moe character equivalent of furries.