When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Arizona Valley Thread - SUM TOP TIER SHIT ODAMN  (Read 59666 times)

Offline Choco

• Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 69
  • IM MAD
    • View Profile
Re: Arizona Valley Thread - SUM TOP TIER SHIT ODAMN
« Reply #100 on: April 28, 2007, 03:51:51 PM »
I'm pretty much about to head out NOW for the tourney at Raff's. Will meet you guys there. Want to get some casuals in before the thing.

Offline RAFF

• Apprentice
  • Magic Circuits: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 28, 2007, 08:22:58 PM »
Melty blood
4/28/2007
16-man bracket

1 TooTall :mystery:
 2 JAXX   :blah:
 3 RAFF   ::)
 4 Punker  :V
 5 Choco  >:(
 5 BlackAssNappyDood  :fap:
 7 QuChu  :emo:
 7 Shinshi :psyduck:
 9 Wakatana  :-[
 9 David  :'(
« Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 08:24:39 PM by RAFF »

Offline Mailorder

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 34
  • sup
    • View Profile
    • MySpace - Add Me!
« Reply #102 on: April 28, 2007, 08:46:31 PM »

Offline Synthesis

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 29
  • How about some Ether Drive to the face!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 28, 2007, 08:58:06 PM »
Melty blood
4/28/2007
16-man bracket

O.O! My name is Shashin...... And it sucked because I couldn't use a pad, but I'll get better on stick.
"Mmmm............ dead chicks."
             -Anonymous- (you know who you are)

Offline Zaido

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 51
  • HISATSU - GIIIGAA!! DURIIIRU!! BUREEIIKAA!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 28, 2007, 10:18:34 PM »
hmm interesting :p... gg to you guys... even though i was not there but i got to say GG :p
<@Sp00ky> basically ruu got on the stick and started having sex with heart
<@Sp00ky> and she did impossible shit
<@Sp00ky> and arturo died

Offline Mailorder

• Spellcaster
  • sup
    • View Profile
    • MySpace - Add Me!
« Reply #105 on: April 28, 2007, 11:29:56 PM »

To anyone wondering who everyone is:

RAFF (Satsuki, Nanaya), TooTall (Sion) and Punker (Ciel, Miyako) are dudes that have been playing together for a few years.  They are freakin' amazing at Guilty Gear, but they also play Melty Blood very well.

Jaxx (Nero) and "BlackAssNappyDood a.k.a. Vmoney" (Red Arcreid) are the two Black dudes that came with Choco and I to West Toast.

Q Chu (Red Arcreid) and Wakkatana (Hisui & Kohaku) are regulars to Choco's weekly Friday Night Blood Melting. 

Shashin is a Len player that picked up the game in a week and destroyed my Kouma >: (

David is me.  Mailorder.  I've quit Kouma for Mech Hisui.

----

RAFF's tournaments have a rule which is: no stick switching.  All matches are to be played on the cabinet.  The cabinet is very nice and professional - responsive stick, responsive buttons.  However, a number of us were unfamiliar with the American-style stick.  Most of us play on Japanese-style sticks which use the square gate.  But of course, the American setup is circular.  Hitting those diagonals can be difficult on a circle, when you're used to hitting the corner of a square.

But either way, no excuses.  Lots of American arcades use circular-gate sticks, so it's best to learn both American and Japanese.  At least, that's my opinion.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 11:40:39 PM by Mailorder »

Offline Q Chu

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 36
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #106 on: April 28, 2007, 11:33:25 PM »
QuChu  :emo:
:emo:

HAW-haw.  ::)

:emo:
I sent that bitch a smiley face. Bitches  smiley faces.

Offline Choco

• Magus Candidate
  • IM MAD
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 28, 2007, 11:39:26 PM »
 :emo: :emo: :emo: :emo: :emo: :emo: :emo: :emo: :emo: :emo: :emo: :emo: :emo: :emo: :emo: :emo: :emo: :emo: :emo: :emo: :emo: :emo: :emo: :emo: :emo: :emo: :emo: :emo:

Why did I suck so bad?  :mystery:

o wait American stick lulz

STICK STUPID

Offline Q Chu

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 36
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #108 on: April 28, 2007, 11:40:30 PM »
I agree  :V

EDIT: though that is really completely my own fault and Raff and his setups are totally awesome
« Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 11:43:22 PM by Q Chu »
I sent that bitch a smiley face. Bitches  smiley faces.

Offline Mailorder

• Spellcaster
  • sup
    • View Profile
    • MySpace - Add Me!
« Reply #109 on: April 28, 2007, 11:53:10 PM »
Well, It's just my opinion that people should learn both American and Japanese : p  I know that Choco doesn't agree with me.  From his point of view, Melty Blood is a Japanese game, so it's meant to be played on a Japanese stick.  Not worth the time to learn how to play it American.

Offline Synthesis

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 29, 2007, 12:51:41 AM »
I need to learn better advances. All I have right now is 2C.

Offline RAFF

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 29, 2007, 09:35:20 AM »

To anyone wondering who everyone is:

RAFF (Satsuki, Nanaya), TooTall (Sion) and Punker (Ciel, Miyako) are dudes that have been playing together for a few years.  They are freakin' amazing at Guilty Gear, but they also play Melty Blood very well.

Jaxx (Nero) and "BlackAssNappyDood a.k.a. Vmoney" (Red Arcreid) are the two Black dudes that came with Choco and I to West Toast.

Q Chu (Red Arcreid) and Wakkatana (Hisui & Kohaku) are regulars to Choco's weekly Friday Night Blood Melting. 

Shashin is a Len player that picked up the game in a week and destroyed my Kouma >: (

David is me.  Mailorder.  I've quit Kouma for Mech Hisui.

----

RAFF's tournaments have a rule which is: no stick switching.  All matches are to be played on the cabinet.  The cabinet is very nice and professional - responsive stick, responsive buttons.  However, a number of us were unfamiliar with the American-style stick.  Most of us play on Japanese-style sticks which use the square gate.  But of course, the American setup is circular.  Hitting those diagonals can be difficult on a circle, when you're used to hitting the corner of a square.

But either way, no excuses.  Lots of American arcades use circular-gate sticks, so it's best to learn both American and Japanese.  At least, that's my opinion.

I appreciate the setup compliments, and the complaints are legitimate.  But from past experience, I have noticed people will spend more time switching sticks and pads and setting up buttons than playing.  I don't want to spend all night running a tournament.  If I throw another one it will be on the living room instead of the cabinet so people can see better.

Even though last nights tournament was on american sticks, I still believe the outcome was still valid as I saw some of the results of the people playing on the jap sticks.  2Tall was still dominating that arena even on jap sticks which he never uses.  Not trying to say you guys suck, just making sure you guys don't try to diss the winners by saying that if it was on a jap stick i would have won.

Thank you guys for abiding by the rules and respecting my home, my wife and I are very grateful.

Offline Arlieth Tralare

• Die Zauberwaffe
  • Zaubererkommandant
  • Magic Circuits: 123
  • POW!
    • View Profile
    • Melty Bread
« Reply #112 on: April 29, 2007, 11:30:01 AM »
I agree with RAFF's philosophy that stick switching can take up valuable time. I don't think it's so bad if you limit it to one Jap and one US stick set though, both having default configured settings (i.e.: Hori HRAP and modified Nubytech Anniversary). Ah dun giv a FUUUCK about them "Q" button~

BTW, what the hell is it with ice cream truck drivers these days? They fricking speed through the neighborhood like they're about to be lynched. Ain't like the old days where you'd have time to fish through change in the couch before running out and flagging that mo'fo down.
<bellreisa> arly *has* given up 3s
<bellreisa> retired it anyways
<linalys> no he hasn't
<linalys> it lives on in crouch shield
<proxyZAR> and it will die there too lol

Offline Choco

• Magus Candidate
  • IM MAD
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 30, 2007, 02:08:18 AM »
New event inserted into the first post, and second post updated with next normal MB meetup date. Queeeeestions?

Offline Mailorder

• Spellcaster
  • sup
    • View Profile
    • MySpace - Add Me!
« Reply #114 on: April 30, 2007, 03:46:46 AM »
Unfortunately, I haven't seen a single ice cream truck in AZ : (  White folks just drive to Cold Stone when they want ice cream.  However, I have seen a few of the Mexican food catering trucks.  Mmmm, those tacos are good.  Pretty fresh, for something comin' out of a truck!  But... expensive ; ;

Offline vmoney48

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 30, 2007, 06:12:31 AM »
:emo: :emo: :emo: :emo: :emo: :emo: :emo: :emo: :emo: :emo: :emo: :emo: :emo: :emo: :emo: :emo: :emo: :emo: :emo: :emo: :emo: :emo: :emo: :emo: :emo: :emo: :emo: :emo:

Why did I suck so bad?  :mystery:

o wait American stick lulz

STICK STUPID

Yea yea.
I have an offer that you CANT understand.

Offline Choco

• Magus Candidate
  • IM MAD
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 30, 2007, 07:24:30 AM »
I appreciate the setup compliments, and the complaints are legitimate.  But from past experience, I have noticed people will spend more time switching sticks and pads and setting up buttons than playing.  I don't want to spend all night running a tournament.  If I throw another one it will be on the living room instead of the cabinet so people can see better.

Even though last nights tournament was on american sticks, I still believe the outcome was still valid as I saw some of the results of the people playing on the jap sticks.  2Tall was still dominating that arena even on jap sticks which he never uses.  Not trying to say you guys suck, just making sure you guys don't try to diss the winners by saying that if it was on a jap stick i would have won.

Thank you guys for abiding by the rules and respecting my home, my wife and I are very grateful.

Yo, Raff. Just thought I'd clear things up 'cause I know I bitched a lot at the tourney.

I respect your setup greatly. I am just a bad player on AmeriSticks. It's frustrating to me when I cannot do things I practiced so hard to do at home. It's frustrating when I think I'm pressing down and back to block, but am in more in the down or the back position instead, resulting in getting punched in the face/shin. The physical cues I have ingrained in my mind worked against me all night, even when I first started using my stick again. TooTall kicked my ass in that first match after the tourney, but I'm happy that next time I played him, I was able to win. From then on (and I mean no disrespect to the guy, 'cause he plays a good Ciel AND beat me in the tourney fair and square), I had 21 wins to 4 losses to Nick once I got back on my stick and was pretty much undefeated until we left for the night.

So I think while it's absolutely fair that you run tourneys the way you want, it's not exactly good for everyone to be forced to use the controller of your choice. Of course, on the cabinet, pad was the only other choice as setting up other sticks would have been aaaawkward. But here's the logic: It's a PS2 tournament for a Japanese game that uses cabinets that use Japanese sticks. I only play on a Japanese stick because I only play games that will be played on JP cabinets (Soul Calibur 3 is the only exception to that). Since it was PS2-based, B.Y.O.C. would have brought out more player skill. Seeing players play at their best is the best way to hold a tournament in my opinion.

But again, your house, your rules. I respect that. AmeriSticks-only just didn't help me improve my game any, which is what I was hoping to do. Hold another tournament with AmeriSticks only and I'll probably still come, but at least next time I won't enter expecting to mop up all the competition :P

Offline milesokeefe

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 50
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 30, 2007, 07:56:33 AM »
The pool of competent Melty Blood players continues to grow! Good stuff.

Is there some joystick drama going on in here? There must be a way to convert it into MB hype... Choco, I think you should challenge TooTall to a $3000 money match and threaten Raff with a Hello Kitty ka-bar.

Offline RAFF

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 30, 2007, 12:50:42 PM »
I disagree with the way you think about the joysticks choco considering that ANY video game that gets brougth up down here usually ends in an american cabinet with american sticks.

I hate jap sticks, cuz I never play on them so I will be biased when tournament time comes.  Next tournament we do all Jap sticks I don't care really MB is not my favorite game and I'm not a tournament guy anymore, I'm a family guy now so I just sit on the front porch and rock on my chair with a blanket on my lap barking at ppl.  :blah:

I think tournament mindset is something you guys are not taking into consideration.  Yeah you beat nick 24 to 2 on casual but you lost when it mattered.  Trust me I know how shit feelz because I have been to tons of tournament.  2Tall and Punker might have more experience who knows, but considering that they never play melty blood seriously and yet they do pretty well says alot about this guys.

Another thing that you guys need to consider that 2tall and punker have played figthing games since the beginning.  Not sure about you guys, but they have more knowledge about mind games and not just bnb combos.  How many times did you guys fall for tick throws, or wiff baits, spacing and high and low games? 

Look at Sean B, guy picks up GG or MB and learns 2 or 3 moves and starts to kick ass.  Learns fast and execution is good, but mind games and  experience counts for alot.

Punker, 2tall and I never played against a chaos player before and I have no experience on how to beat him.  Punker and I got pwned by Jaxx, yet tootall knew by watching a couple of games how he can easily get in by baiting him.

Again not saying you guys are bad players or anything like that, but you might be underestimating experience.  You might win at casual here in AZ, Now just take it to the point that you can win when it matters.

Offline Synthesis

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 30, 2007, 01:20:31 PM »
This can all be solved with a single saying......

No Johns.

That is all.

Offline milesokeefe

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 50
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: April 30, 2007, 01:21:41 PM »
Sounds like time is the issue... if you have some spare space, maybe multiple setups would help next time: An american/american setup, a japanese/american setup and a japanese/japanese setup? You could fit two setups on a card table, provided the players are sitting on chairs and keep their sticks on their laps.

I'd like to think that a tournament running on three setups would move faster than a tournament running on one setup, too. Of course, a tournament running on three identical setups and no controller swapping allowed would move even faster than the one I described above, so  :toot:

The community could help provide the gear for the setups. I know that I'm good for 2 HRAPs, 2 NTSC-J PS2s, a folding table, four folding chairs, a 22" TV and even one of those god awful 2-player X-Arcade sticks.

Anyway, thanks again for hosting, RAFF. Sorry I couldn't make it, and I hope that you continue hosting events from time to time. It seems to me that if there's one thing AZs fighting game community really needs, it's places to meet and play their favorite games.

Offline 2tall

• Apprentice
  • Magic Circuits: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 30, 2007, 04:50:44 PM »

Yo, Raff. Just thought I'd clear things up 'cause I know I bitched a lot at the tourney.

I respect your setup greatly. I am just a bad player on AmeriSticks. It's frustrating to me when I cannot do things I practiced so hard to do at home. It's frustrating when I think I'm pressing down and back to block, but am in more in the down or the back position instead, resulting in getting punched in the face/shin. The physical cues I have ingrained in my mind worked against me all night, even when I first started using my stick again. TooTall kicked my ass in that first match after the tourney, but I'm happy that next time I played him, I was able to win. From then on (and I mean no disrespect to the guy, 'cause he plays a good Ciel AND beat me in the tourney fair and square), I had 21 wins to 4 losses to Nick once I got back on my stick and was pretty much undefeated until we left for the night.

So I think while it's absolutely fair that you run tourneys the way you want, it's not exactly good for everyone to be forced to use the controller of your choice. Of course, on the cabinet, pad was the only other choice as setting up other sticks would have been aaaawkward. But here's the logic: It's a PS2 tournament for a Japanese game that uses cabinets that use Japanese sticks. I only play on a Japanese stick because I only play games that will be played on JP cabinets (Soul Calibur 3 is the only exception to that). Since it was PS2-based, B.Y.O.C. would have brought out more player skill. Seeing players play at their best is the best way to hold a tournament in my opinion.

But again, your house, your rules. I respect that. AmeriSticks-only just didn't help me improve my game any, which is what I was hoping to do. Hold another tournament with AmeriSticks only and I'll probably still come, but at least next time I won't enter expecting to mop up all the competition :P

tru dat about the bitching.. shit was getting tiring.. i don't wanna sound or come off like an ass, but raff posted the rules about the tournament stating that there would be no stick switching or pad playing or anything like that. his cabinet was the only thing we would be playing on at all times.. rules were made by raff but still people felt compelled to bring their sticks, and say "I hate this", "I hate that", "Pad", "Japanese stick", yada yada yada and even choco, you had some balls trying to tell raff that there WOULD be stick and pad switching. now, you could of been just joking around but that shit ain't cool either way. i was listening to you the entire time, and was just saying to myself "wow sir, i honestly hope this is a joke."  you read the rules, and yet still felt compelled to come and complain. raff's reasoning behind the no stick switching was time consumption pure and simple. that and the fact that i can understand why he wanted to get rid of pad playing because there are some, and not saying that any of you guys do this, but some people will use the extra buttons, and get 1 button throws, 1 button dashing, while people using sticks, are having to do these things manually, and what i consider to be much more skillfully.

but i can understand that you guys weren't use to the sticks because i've honestly been there many many times, where i've only had 5 to 10 minutes or even just 1 game to get use to fighting with their style of equipment.. but you guys had over two hours to get ready and get use to the sticks that we use.. anyone of you guys could of said, i need to get use to the sticks, so let's try and see what i'm doing wrong and how i can improve. if i had that kind of time in some tourneys i went to i know that the outcome of them would of been differant.. not saying i would of won but i would of been able to play a lot better then i had at that time. if you guys want to go to differant tournaments, anywhere, adaptability is going to be something youre going to have to learn. Now, i've told people straight out who run the tournaments, that hey, the tourney was awesome i had a blast but the sticks just weren't for me. but from what i was seeing, you guys were going on and on about how you hated american sticks, or hated that you couldn't use pad just about every 10 minutes, and shit was getting old quick.

but either way, it was fun to get to play you guys, since the only people raff, punker and myself get to play is each other. you guys got some good shit, with  that game, and definitely made me think about playing some new characters. and like i said i'm just stating facts here and i don't want to come off like an ass or anything of the kind. i just think these things need to said or posted or whatevers, so things like this won't happen in the future and some sort of agreement can be made to accomidate everyone.  just my 2 cents..

oh yeah, and no "John" ever shows up to the tourneys anyway.. My names been 2tall, or Tootall, or Too tall for years on end and even once i was the 2nd "unknown gamer" where i tried to keep the legacy of the masked mcdonalds bag gamer alive. but that's how it's been and that's how it'll be for the years to come.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 04:55:15 PM by 2tall »

Offline Mailorder

• Spellcaster
  • sup
    • View Profile
    • MySpace - Add Me!
« Reply #122 on: April 30, 2007, 08:14:46 PM »
Look at Sean B, guy picks up GG or MB and learns 2 or 3 moves and starts to kick ass.  Learns fast and execution is good, but mind games and  experience counts for alot.

An excellent example.  That dude picked up MB for the first time and was about 30% to Choco within 15 minutes.  And it's because he's been playing Street Fighter since he was a kid.  And you guys are the same.  I definitely agree that experience and mind games is what it's all about.   Much respect to you, TooTall and Punker.  Hopefully, we're not giving off the wrong impression.  I don't doubt the skill you guys have - not for a second.

but from what i was seeing, you guys were going on and on about how you hated american sticks, or hated that you couldn't use pad just about every 10 minutes, and shit was getting old quick.

I think I made a mention about not being 100% comfortable with American sticks a few times, but I realize that even once was too much.  I wasn't trying to fool anyone.  I knew everyone was better than me and I'd lose whether I were playing American or Japanese.  And it's because of experience.  MB is my first 2D fighter, and I'm playing against people who have done the 2D thing for years.  The few comments I made - I guess it was just small chat.  Sorry if I gave the wrong impression.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 08:22:02 PM by Mailorder »

Offline Choco

• Magus Candidate
  • IM MAD
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 01, 2007, 01:20:55 AM »
Yeah, I've got to apologize for all my bitching. I got so frustrated I just had to vent, but even after I vented I felt bad about saying it again and again. I'll behave next time. As I said before, my frustration came from my expectation to do really well, and since my execution on AmeriSticks really hindered my performance, well. We all heard what happened. Going to try to be much less emotional in competitive gaming from now on and see what happens.

Offline Synthesis

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 01, 2007, 07:12:30 AM »
oh yeah, and no "John" ever shows up to the tourneys anyway.. My names been 2tall, or Tootall, or Too tall for years on end and even once i was the 2nd "unknown gamer" where i tried to keep the legacy of the masked mcdonalds bag gamer alive. but that's how it's been and that's how it'll be for the years to come.

......nvm. Oh, and about the bitching about not being able to use pad, I'm fine with that, due to the great INTERNAL NEED!!!!!!1! to want to learn how to play better on stick. Thanks. Oh, and Sion is a whore (in a good way.)

EDIT: Am considering using either Akiha or Aoko as a secondary. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 01:45:33 PM by Shashin »