When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Riesbyfe Strategy and Tactics Thread  (Read 43798 times)

Offline Curbeh

• MD/VA Barbarian Horde
  • Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 259
  • Irresistible
    • View Profile
Re: Riesbyfe Strategy and Tactics Thread
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2009, 06:21:41 AM »
lol Chaser was just doing 2A 5B 5C 6C 2A ->
You can bust out before the 2A with reversal or a shield, or if you are H moon, just wait it out until he tries something else.

Ries' movement is not particularly slow, however her moves are. Not only that but she has hitbox throw into her moves, so you need caution and slightly different timing for using your moves when trying to get in. He has the tools thought, just need to use them right.
They can't get enough of me

Offline fr49200

• Apprentice
  • Magic Circuits: 0
  • Akane is my wife
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2009, 07:10:41 AM »
oh ok thx. I was noticing that alot of the time with her i was using her 5A or 2A poke but it would get beat into combo & death. does her 5A have less priority than other characters so it gets beat?
For Rosa Lozada 12-01-09
My Heart, My Soul, My Mother
May you be free from the pain you dealt with in life.

Offline Curbeh

• MD/VA Barbarian Horde
  • Magus Candidate
  • Irresistible
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2009, 10:57:26 AM »
oh ok thx. I was noticing that alot of the time with her i was using her 5A or 2A poke but it would get beat into combo & death. does her 5A have less priority than other characters so it gets beat?

Remember, the really isn't anything called "priority" in fighting games.
Her 5A is big, but you can't mash it and it is somewhat slow. You are probably getting mashed out of it, 2A is definitely superior for simple pokes. As for 2A, I can't see how you would be getting beat out of it... its like the best 2A in the game lol. Maybe you are getting bodied by B/C moves or REALLy carelessly throwing it out.

Offline PWS

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 3
  • NC Melty
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2009, 04:51:05 AM »
Where are you pulling that hitbox data from? Do you have everything?

Offline Curbeh

• MD/VA Barbarian Horde
  • Magus Candidate
  • Irresistible
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2009, 06:09:41 AM »
Just get mauve's frame display tool.

Offline Chaser

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Kyuu Kyuu Kyuu
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2009, 11:20:00 AM »
The dumbest part about the pressure kirby, is that you can change it for the situation:

Say a person is playing H groove, instead of using 2A-B-C-6C you can use 2A-6C to throw off their timing, not only that but it throws them into a situation where they are doing HIGH-LOW-HIGH-LOW which most players will focus on blocking more than shielding or back dashing, and it still chips guard as fast. Plus, they are doing the high lows because you can charge 5 other moves that could either be high or low, because that is necessary. I would like to add that her Arc Drive has a frame of super armor...... I think, I was going through a bunch of different characters moves at LK's place. Also, from the testing I saw F-ries having massive clash with her 2B, not sure if that works on everyone, but I did it to at least 10 different characters aerials.

Another trick I noticed for her pressure, is a bunch of people will sit and watch what you are doing, so instead of continuing the pressure with x move, you can just hop forward and grab because the person is so focused on blocking. A lot of people will backdash, just continue the 2A - B - C - 6C, it will hit them even if a move whiffs, just be careful with her, eventually you can do charge mix ups and if a move whiffs you'll get punished because you are stuck in the charge animation.

If a person is shielding you a lot here is a good tip, just do one rep of 2A-B-C-6C, then jump when you expect the shield and come down with a JC. If they start shielding that JC, and are not in H groove, just block afterwards. If they are in H groove whiff the JC with the animation still coming out, and continue with pressure.

The biggest part about these "gimmicks" is making the person think you are going to do the reps of 2A-B-C-6C again, but you really don't have to, you could even just block after the 6C or back dash there are plenty of options she has.  :bleh:

That boot, that boot, that boot...
Mains: F-ries, H-aoko

Offline Curbeh

• MD/VA Barbarian Horde
  • Magus Candidate
  • Irresistible
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2009, 11:45:22 AM »
Not not particularly, that entire F-Ries string can be blocked LOW. the long thing one would need to look for is 6[C] and 214C. Also, the best place to back dash would be after the 6C is blocked (midscreen). Of course the Ries could punish the backdash with 236A/B.

The best thing to do against it is to sit tight and wait for something else.

Offline Chaser

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Kyuu Kyuu Kyuu
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2009, 11:48:14 AM »
I still think it is really hard to deal with in general, everyone hates playing my Ries lol
So much salt and rage...

Offline Chaser

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Kyuu Kyuu Kyuu
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2009, 11:55:07 AM »
Fries - 2A 5B 6B 5C 6C repeat for massive damage

This isn't the ONLY thing she has, but it is a good tool, something to start off with, many of her good damage combos can link in and out of this.

Offline fr49200

• Apprentice
  • Akane is my wife
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2009, 08:57:25 AM »
damn lots of good info guys. i need to use this. i usually play kohaku in AC, so i try to play Ries like that but she's too slow. im so used to it. gotta learn to play patient with her. is she space reliant? from what i see i need to learn to space my opponent to punish them. is this correct or am i just high?
For Rosa Lozada 12-01-09
My Heart, My Soul, My Mother
May you be free from the pain you dealt with in life.

Offline Chaser

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Kyuu Kyuu Kyuu
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2009, 01:14:38 PM »
damn lots of good info guys. i need to use this. i usually play kohaku in AC, so i try to play Ries like that but she's too slow. im so used to it. gotta learn to play patient with her. is she space reliant? from what i see i need to learn to space my opponent to punish them. is this correct or am i just high?

For F ries spacing is very important, you have to space her JB and JC with good timing otherwise you will be punished for it, I would imagine it works in the same way that H and C do. This goes along with the movement options of whatever groove you picked, I know F ries has a hop backwards and forwards, just try to be smart about things and you will see the holes in your opponent's style.

Offline Benny1

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 16
  • Christmas Akiha just got sexier!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2009, 01:21:29 PM »
Spacing is a must for every character, in the sense you must know the tip of the range of the range of your attacks and the like.

Riesbyfe has giant attacks, so spacing is a little different for her, you don't need to be very close to hit.  Her attacks tend to have good hitboxes, too, so get to a good, distant range, and try poking at them.  When they get pushed to the corner, that's really when you get in close.

And as Chaser said, use her j.B and j.C well.  You will pay if you whiff.
C-Wara main, H-Warc/F-Sion alt.

Offline Curbeh

• MD/VA Barbarian Horde
  • Magus Candidate
  • Irresistible
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2009, 09:45:08 PM »
I'd like to agree with that, except with more caution. while they are good well, well ranged moves, the often have Ries' hitboxes mixed it, making for some bad trades and beat outs. For example Kohaku's or Ryougi's jB will out right beat ours 9/10 times. Good but not perfect, keeping that in mind you can get some good results.

Offline Chaser

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Kyuu Kyuu Kyuu
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2009, 09:21:51 AM »
I'd like to agree with that, except with more caution. while they are good well, well ranged moves, the often have Ries' hitboxes mixed it, making for some bad trades and beat outs. For example Kohaku's or Ryougi's jB will out right beat ours 9/10 times. Good but not perfect, keeping that in mind you can get some good results.

Yeah I agree with Curbeh here, they can shield your jump-ins as well, another trick you can use with the whiff of the hitbox,do JB and JC as low to the group as you can, to make the animation come out but not the hitbox, then proceed to tick throw or go into a block string. Another opinion with a player who might be spamming JB and JC at you, would be to 2B -> DP. H-len's J2C I think will beat Ries everytime in the air because of the disjointedness of the hitbox.

Offline Chaser

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Kyuu Kyuu Kyuu
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2010, 06:25:55 PM »
Remember kids, if you are in a jam, 236 C followed by a 236 C may be the only way out.  :fap:

Offline COD3player

• Camouflaged Curry
  • Magic Circuits: 51
  • H.A.T.R.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2010, 02:59:31 PM »
Speaking of j.B, when I play matches against Kohaku, yes hers is pretty damn fast and it will win if you are not spaced properly. From what I can tell, her j.B wins more often when she's below you and likewise the other way around. If you're both at the same height in the air, then it depends on who got theirs out first.
<--- "the irony of being one of the least anime people in the anime FGC" - bell

Offline Curbeh

• MD/VA Barbarian Horde
  • Magus Candidate
  • Irresistible
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2010, 03:21:09 PM »
Yeah, its really important for H/F-Ries to get that jB out early. Its more of am attempt to yomi the opponents air zoning in my opinion.

Offline NoNo

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2010, 09:44:55 PM »
Ok, i feel dumb...

Why am i the only one who has trouble to do even basic links on ries ?

Even 2A 5B 6B fails so easily...

Offline COD3player

• Camouflaged Curry
  • Magic Circuits: 51
  • H.A.T.R.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2010, 01:08:55 AM »
When you say that 2A 5B 6B is failing, I assume you're referring to F-Ries? Where exactly is it failing? If you're missing 2A into 5B, then I can understand why. Ries's 2A in F has shorter hitstun than it does in C/H so you need to press that 5B faster than you would in the other two modes. I haven't played C-Ries in forever but iirc, that same string 2A>5B would fail for me a lot but that's moreso because C-Ries's 5B is slower than 5B in H/F.

Since we're discussing the topic of j.Bs, F-Ryougi's j.B is quite possibly the best air-to-air attack in the entire game. It's damn near unbeatable if they do it jumping backwards (fadeaway j.B). I play F-Ryougi but I haven't fought against one with Ries so I can't necessarily provide too much input. But it's ludicrously fast and has absurd range to boot. I probably wouldn't try to jump at Ryougi with j.B especially when she jumps back with her own j.B. Neutral j.B and fadeaway j.B with H/F-Ries is probably the safest way to use it against her. I really wanna start a matchup thread because there's quite a bit of information I have to share on a few matchups but this subforum looks a tad cluttered in its current state. :|
<--- "the irony of being one of the least anime people in the anime FGC" - bell

Offline Curbeh

• MD/VA Barbarian Horde
  • Magus Candidate
  • Irresistible
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2010, 05:33:16 AM »
Yeah, people with more dangerous air-to-air's pose a problem for Ries. F-Ryougi jB is one of those, probably the most dangerous (think MBAC Warc jB, but better).I'd only jump at people like that if I knew that I'd CH them or be getting my jB out first.

As for 2A 5B chains... are you on emulator? That's the only place I'd have trouble with that.

Offline LordPangTong

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 54
  • We troll hard
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2010, 05:56:48 AM »
Ok, i feel dumb...

Why am i the only one who has trouble to do even basic links on ries ?

Even 2A 5B 6B fails so easily...

Make sure to input 6B as quick as you can after 5B, otherwise it tends to drop. This applies for all Ries grooves.
<justzar> great anime <3

Offline Curbeh

• MD/VA Barbarian Horde
  • Magus Candidate
  • Irresistible
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2010, 08:29:56 AM »
Honestly though, I skip 6B mostly (unless I tag it after 5C for 6B 6AA 6C ->).
This makes it easier to confirm putting 2C in or not for far confirms (Since I take a more zoning approach)

Offline LordPangTong

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 54
  • We troll hard
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2010, 08:55:21 AM »
I think 6B is worth inputting because it does good guard bar damage when charged and blocked, and it's a pretty nice low. Seems like it's better for staggering than 5C too.
<justzar> great anime <3

Offline NoNo

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2010, 09:16:38 AM »
Thanks for the advice here =)

btw, 6B is low ? i thought only 6 [ B ] was ? ( i didn't check though).
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 11:50:59 AM by NoNo »

Offline Curbeh

• MD/VA Barbarian Horde
  • Magus Candidate
  • Irresistible
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2010, 09:32:45 AM »
I said for hit confirms LPT, not blockstirings.