When's Melty on Steam?
ahaha that's no--wait, what?

Author Topic: Stick or pad (or keyboard? o.O)?  (Read 28033 times)

Offline DarthTrey

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Stick or pad (or keyboard? o.O)?
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2007, 06:47:41 AM »
It all comes down to what you are used to playing imo. :blah:

Offline thebrassthief

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 2
  • I has a briefcase.
    • View Profile
    • TBT's Home
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2007, 08:03:29 AM »

Werd. I refuse to come to the fact that I am going to be shitty player "because you can't play stick". That is the most retarded thing I have ever heard.
Playing: Arc, Kouma

American Tierlist:
Top: players just play the fucking game instead of asking for tiers. Low: players ask for tiers.

Offline Draku

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 8
  • sakura is a good girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2007, 01:42:24 PM »
100% truth in this post

Offline mthegreatone

• Apprentice
  • Magic Circuits: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2007, 10:16:43 AM »

Werd. I refuse to come to the fact that I am going to be shitty player "because you can't play stick". That is the most retarded thing I have ever heard.

well on some level there is legitimacy to the claim.  granted i'm not in a position to tell you guys how to play this game (especially since it's officially been only 3 days since i was introduced to the game).  in the grand scheme of things, it IS a fighting game we're playing....a genre of game well-known for having mainly been using an arcade-style stick to control.  it just feels more authentic IMO.

one example i can give is, say, Capcome vs. SNK 2 for xbox/ps2/gc (whatever floats your boat).  in my case, it just didn't feel right playing it on a Controller S.  i then proceeded to buy one of those Street fighter AC arcade stick, and even a stick like that is more of an improvement over the pad.

but at the same time, i can sympathize with the idea of playing on a pad.  i myself have been using an xbox360 pc pad to play the game.....well only because i don't want to go through the effort of figuring out how to set up my tekken5 AE stick on my comp LOL.  but in any case i guess i've been able to play the game fine with the pad.  i guess what it boiled down to was the fact that MB isn't the typical 6-button-style game that would utilize a traditional arcade stick.

Offline Animeruko

• Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 7
  • Because its MOE~ MOE~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2007, 03:17:57 AM »
I play on Pad and Kinda play on stick ...  My execution is far better on pad than stick but i love stick because no sore thumbs and wrist pains.

I dont really know why i cant play MB on stick it must be japanese style sticks ... i have no problem playing Tekken and Soul Caliber at the arcades. . . well i lied i have troubble with Tekken 5 since the cabs use japanese style sticks ... back in the tekken 4 and tag days it was NP, for Tekken 5 i had to be halfassed and use a pad for directionals and using the arcade buttons <.<

Offline DarthTrey

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2007, 12:08:54 PM »

well on some level there is legitimacy to the claim.  granted i'm not in a position to tell you guys how to play this game (especially since it's officially been only 3 days since i was introduced to the game).  in the grand scheme of things, it IS a fighting game we're playing....a genre of game well-known for having mainly been using an arcade-style stick to control.  it just feels more authentic IMO.

one example i can give is, say, Capcome vs. SNK 2 for xbox/ps2/gc (whatever floats your boat).  in my case, it just didn't feel right playing it on a Controller S.  i then proceeded to buy one of those Street fighter AC arcade stick, and even a stick like that is more of an improvement over the pad.

but at the same time, i can sympathize with the idea of playing on a pad.  i myself have been using an xbox360 pc pad to play the game.....well only because i don't want to go through the effort of figuring out how to set up my tekken5 AE stick on my comp LOL.  but in any case i guess i've been able to play the game fine with the pad.  i guess what it boiled down to was the fact that MB isn't the typical 6-button-style game that would utilize a traditional arcade stick.

not really, it comes down to what you are used to playing.

Some people just don't like the "feel" of a stick which is why they stick to a pad.  If a stick is always better than you should automatically be able to improve your execution by switching to a stick.

What I mean is, say you are playing Street Fighter on your brand new SNES.  You got your quarter circles and dragon punches down pat.(for this example we'll assume you've never played the arcade cabinet).  You go to your local arcade expecting to put up a decent match only to find that your Hadu has no ken, and your Dragon is hardly punchy.  In this case the pad is far better than the stick because the user is used to it and is comfortable with the muscle memory.  I've seen plenty of pad players that could kick the shit out of a lot of stick players.  It just has to do with what they are used to using.

I am one of the people that prefers the stick controls, but I disagree that a more "authentic" feel is better than something that will give you(just you personally" better execution.

Obviously if you get used to a stick and only play on it, it will be much better than a pad FOR YOU, not necessarily person X.

Offline pc1x1

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Mess with the Best, Die like the Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2007, 02:02:02 PM »
8 out of 10 times, if you commit to a stick, you will be a superior fighter,

simply because of the range of motion a stick provides, also for button combinations its also more reliable, and easer to use.

It comes down the whatever YOU practice in the most, aka most comfortable with.

Offline relight

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 1
  • 普通的魔法使
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2007, 03:43:44 PM »
I can play stick and keyboard....and I'm actually better with the keyboard.

Keyboard inputs are more accurate, and it's easier to do moves like 2C > 6B without triggering 236B, so it works better for me on complicated combos such as Arc's wallslam combo, which can accidentally trigger special moves if not done properly.

On the downside, movements are more clumsy with the keyboard. It's very tiring to play characters that are fast such as V Akiha and Sion.(I like Sion, but Miyako and Hisui are my main.)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 03:45:15 PM by relight »
Arcueid / W.Len / Miyako player.
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=HKrelight

Offline ehrik

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 144
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2007, 03:47:10 PM »
I am keyboard crusha
<Graven> When you are Ciel, don't try to win, don't even try to do anything. The more you do, the stupider and bigger faggot you become because you're using Ciel.
<WyvernLord> roku is faking his disappearance so melty bread can come out and try to convince him of his value to the community

Offline pc1x1

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2007, 04:57:40 PM »
The only reason you guys are good in keyboard, is because you practiced it.

This is becoming redudant, no one is arguing keyboard or pad are bad choices, there is someone out there that can beat me on stick, with those two mediums, however if we take into consideration. Stick has the highest potential out of all 3. I am scrub, and I can pull any move without messing up on the stick, pro players will own your soul, and if we get equal talanted, which is impossible but lets pretend or use close examples, like top tier japanese players. Any pad or keyboard player would lose.

Bet on it.

Its all about ergonomics, range of motion, reflex speed, a joystick makes all those easer to do. Keyboard will fatigue you, despite being accurate, its also not ergonomic,

a pad is sometimes somewhat ergonomic but by limited and forcing you to grip the pad, your already using tension, and fatiguing the player.

A stick needs small flicks, and two hands are being used, much more comfortable, once and if netplay becomes stable and quick, and I practice this game enough, Ill open challenge any keyboard or pad player to a 1 on 1.

Believe it ;)

Offline DarthTrey

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2007, 06:53:44 AM »

Offline Devereaux

• Magus Candidate
  • Magic Circuits: 40
  • Drinkin that mirin.
    • View Profile

Offline DarthTrey

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile

Offline Alfonse

• Vigilant Pink
  • Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 22
  • Azu-nyan~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2007, 11:36:20 AM »
*smashes head on keyboard*
Keyboard crusher who couldn't pull off a proper BNB.

Offline DarthTrey

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2007, 11:40:01 AM »
*smashes head on keyboard*

careful you'll hurt yourself  :teach:

Offline pc1x1

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2007, 12:35:41 PM »
Or do a Arc Drive  :fap:

Offline mthegreatone

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2007, 10:28:50 AM »

not really, it comes down to what you are used to playing.

Some people just don't like the "feel" of a stick which is why they stick to a pad.  If a stick is always better than you should automatically be able to improve your execution by switching to a stick.

What I mean is, say you are playing Street Fighter on your brand new SNES.  You got your quarter circles and dragon punches down pat.(for this example we'll assume you've never played the arcade cabinet).  You go to your local arcade expecting to put up a decent match only to find that your Hadu has no ken, and your Dragon is hardly punchy.  In this case the pad is far better than the stick because the user is used to it and is comfortable with the muscle memory.  I've seen plenty of pad players that could kick the shit out of a lot of stick players.  It just has to do with what they are used to using.

I am one of the people that prefers the stick controls, but I disagree that a more "authentic" feel is better than something that will give you(just you personally" better execution.

Obviously if you get used to a stick and only play on it, it will be much better than a pad FOR YOU, not necessarily person X.

heh i guess that's the reason why pad controller ports are included in the tekken dark resurrection arcade cabinet we have over at school.  i actually haven't bothered checking to see if pad ports are in the MBAC cab that we have here though.

Offline kaioshade

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2007, 09:51:50 AM »
pad for me, although i really wish i was better with a stick. It just seems like i would unlock some super-secret crushing hidden skill i hold inside of myself if i used stick....or at least that seems to be the general consensus everywhere.

Offline thebrassthief

• Jr. Spellcaster
  • Magic Circuits: 2
  • I has a briefcase.
    • View Profile
    • TBT's Home
Playing: Arc, Kouma

American Tierlist:
Top: players just play the fucking game instead of asking for tiers. Low: players ask for tiers.

Offline Zaelar

• Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 70
  • 236c
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2007, 10:55:15 PM »
The perfect controller gives fast access to every input available.  Regardless of this, a player is best off with whatever controller they are most familiar with within certain limits.  An extreme example is if a DDR player decides to pick up fighters they aren't going to be doing their best by playing on a DDR pad.  As long as you are executing everything you want reliably, then your choice of controller is fine.

A custom keyboard that requires very little force and movement to press a key is about the best example of a perfect controller that I can think of.  Like a custom stick with more buttons in place of the actual stick, however standard stick buttons are too large.  10 Keys aligned to fingertips, leaves one for each direction and six attack/action buttons, which I believe is enough for every commercial fighter to date.

Offline DarthTrey

• Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2007, 06:47:05 AM »
that would be one awkward setup to get used to... :psyduck: :slowpoke:

Offline Sobzob

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2007, 08:38:21 AM »
Playing with pad, might get a stick some time.. If I ever find one  :slowpoke:

Offline Alfonse

• Vigilant Pink
  • Magus
  • Magic Circuits: 22
  • Azu-nyan~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2007, 07:56:24 AM »
The perfect controller gives fast access to every input available.  Regardless of this, a player is best off with whatever controller they are most familiar with within certain limits.  An extreme example is if a DDR player decides to pick up fighters they aren't going to be doing their best by playing on a DDR pad.  As long as you are executing everything you want reliably, then your choice of controller is fine.

Actually, playing MBAC on a DDR pad does not sound too bad theoratically... it could potentially be a new and innovative way of playing the game?
Keyboard crusher who couldn't pull off a proper BNB.

Offline Volint

• Jr. Spellcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2007, 08:09:26 AM »
I'm using pad at the moment.

Offline FireBearHero

• Spellcaster
  • Deep
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2007, 08:51:32 PM »
Good luck playing a 1337 Satsuki or VAkiha without a stick  :P
I can do Satsuki's combo motions perfectly with pad and still fail horribly due to the fact that only using your thumb sucks for fighting games.
It's a whole different story on my VSHG. Fingers FTW!